TWC NCAA Tournament

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
well its to early for owen to be inducted i mean his death was tragic but he deffinatley isnt the best and many people deserve to be inducted before him

OsamaHussian

Reaction score
Shane Douglas (yes I said Shane Douglas)

Yeah but Shane Douglas only work for WWEfor like a year and then he quit after having backstage problems with Shawn Micheals (and "The Clique") and he said himself he would never work for Vince again so I doubt that he would be inducted into the HOF.

SnackZ

Reaction score
Owen does not deserve to be in the HOF just because he passed on. Being in the HOF means that you somehow created some sort of standard in the industry or left your mark by doing somehting great. You don't have to be a great technical wrestler to get in. You must have left an impact though. Did Owen really leave an impact (other than not to glide to the ring on a rope with shingles on your outfit) - the answer is NO. He wasn't great. He was a decent performer at best. Yeah he could wrestle just as good as anyone who's come out of the Dungeon but he lacked that IT factor.

Savage and Steamboat should have already been inducted into the HOF. Warrior made a lasting impact on the industry and was different and headlined WrestleMania. May not be the best wrestler but his character and charisma and the energy he brought to the company was top notch and he should be in. Honky, Greg 'the hammer' Valentine, The British Bulldogs, Steiner Brothers, LOD, Demolition, Sgt. Slaughter...these are guys who should be in. And the person deserving more than any other wrestler is Bruno Sammartino. How he is yet to be in is beyond my realm of thinking. Do you think Owen should be in before any of these guys? I doubt you could prove your case if you do think so.

OsamaHussian

Reaction score
Greg Valentine and Sgt. Slaughter are already in they both were inducted in 2004.

and Sammartino has refused entry into the WWE Hall of Fame, as he feels it would be hypocritical to accept the invitation after all he's said about them.

if you go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruno_Sammartino it tells you all about why he isn't in the WWE HOF yet.

Nation

Well i know one thing for sure Davey and Jim Neidhart pretty much have a guranteed HOF induction at some point. Harry and Naddie are both in developmentals right now so i wouldn't be suprised if either on of thier parents get inducted this year or the next. But yes it's a fact that Owen should go in and to respond to a comment made earlier i believe Owen had the IT factor. For example when he was fueding with his brother Bret that was very well done on both of thier parts. But it's also hard for Owen to show IT when he is the fricking Blue Blazor. It wasn't even fair that he had to go through that gimmick agian all because of he didn't want anything to do with Debra. But i do agree that are more deserving people then Owen but im thinking that Bret thought Vince made some kind of deal last year because i know they were probably talking about Owen getting inducted and my guess is Vince said yes just so Bret would go to his induction. So im assuming that Bret made an agreement at some point and is expecting Owen to get inducted some time in the future.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Yeah but Shane Douglas only work for WWEfor like a year and then he quit after having backstage problems with Shawn Micheals (and "The Clique") and he said himself he would never work for Vince again so I doubt that he would be inducted into the HOF.

That doesn't matter so much. I think that since the WWE owns both WCW and ECW they have a sort of obligation, to include the stars from the two of them.

Sting for example, Vader, Arn Anderson, even Ric Flair. He didn't spend much of his hey day in the WWE.

Axis

I know getting in the HOF means making somekind of deal with Vince, but if Owen goes in before Randy Savage then the whole thing is a complete f'n joke.
Randy Savage has done twice as much as Owen Hart for the WWE and wrestling in general. To be honest, I don't think that Hart has left much of any mark on the WWE except that they don't have people come down from rafters anymore.

This Guy

I know getting in the HOF means making somekind of deal with Vince, but if Owen goes in before Randy Savage then the whole thing is a complete f'n joke.
Randy Savage has done twice as much as Owen Hart for the WWE and wrestling in general. To be honest, I don't think that Hart has left much of any mark on the WWE except that they don't have people come down from rafters anymore.

Yeah Savage does deserve to go before Owen, but you do realize that Savage will probably never get in as long as he and/or Hulk Hogan draw breath. Its no secret that Savage makes an annual phone call to Vince asking for a match with Hulk Hogan at Wrestlemania. I'm sure Vince would make it happen, but Hogan would have to agree. No doubt that would be one of Savage's conditions to going into the hall of fame.

Shane Douglas actually worked for the WWE twice. He debuted in the WWE as a young new comer. He was there for a year before going to WCW where he and Ricky Steamboat were the World Tag Team Champions and fueding with the Hollywood Blondes. He then went to ECW and eventually returned to the WWE as Dean Douglas where he spent another year before finally leaving and going back to WCW again, and then a few years after the closing of WCW to TNA. But in case you haven't noticed the Hall of Fame is not just about WWE careers. Look at some of the inductions. Verne Gange. He never was in WWE...he was actually a competitor. He ran the AWA. Jerry Lawler's whole thing was about his career in the AWA & Memphis. Dusty Rhodes package talks about his days in the NWA. The point is, it doesn't matter that Shane Douglas didn't do much in the WWE, the Hall of Fame is about great contributions to Pro Wrestling.

Reaction score
Ok, I only have a couple things to say, and I'll make them short and sweet. Owen Hart DOES deserve to be in the HOF. Just because it doesn't happen this year doesn't mean it never will. As for Savage going in before him.....that has nothing to do with their "skills" as wrestlers. HOF inductees have to agree to certain terms as stated earlier. In most cases it's that the two parties (WWE and the inductee) can't reach a mutual agreement, which is more than likely why Savage hasn't been inducted yet.

Now then to whoever said Owen shouldn't be inducted just because he died.......WOW! It's been almost 8 years now since Owen's tragic death. If he deserves to go in, which he does, there should be no timetable, and even if there was that time frame has more than passed where people would suspect that being the only reason. On the other hand, no one threw a fit about Eddie being inducted last year did they? Guerrero had only passed 5 months prior to the ceremony. And it's not really completely factual to say that had he lived a full life and retired that he would have gone in directly following his retirement. So if that is your argument as to why Owen shouldn't go in, don't argue that Guerrero didn't get that same pass. Not saying you will, just don't do it, and expect it to be a credible argument.

This Guy

not to say that Eddie deserved to go in right aways either, but there is one valid arguement for Eddie over Owen you seem to be forgetting though. Eddie was the WWE Champion and sold out shows and put buts in the seats. Fans came to see him defend the title and fued with the top stars. The same can not be said for Owen. Was Owen good...your damn right he was. Could he have been champion. Definatly. The point is, he wasn't. He main evented for awhile...but mainly only with Bret. It wasn't Owen that was selling the seats, it was Bret. But I do actually agree that Eddie may have gone in to quick and probably only because the WWE wanted to use his death the way they did. Regaurdless as you said, and I said too, Savage may not be in because of not coming to terms....I already said, no doubt the Hart Family and the WWE can't come to terms on Owen, I'm sure thats probably the only thing stopping it from happening.

Maxwell

Reaction score
By Eric Boehlert

June 29, 1999 | It was an inside joke, a throwaway gag. A sharp elbow in the ribs from flamboyant World Wrestling Federation owner Vince McMahon Jr., to media mogul Ted Turner, owner of WWF's hated rival, World Championship Wrestling.

That's why Owen Hart was up on the catwalk of Kemper Arena in Kansas City during the "Over the Edge" pay-per-view telecast May 23. The 34-year-old journeyman WWF wrestler was going to be attached to a harness and lowered from the ceiling, nine stories up, just the way Turner's WCW superstar Sting descends into the ring for a bout. Only instead of swooping into the ring like Sting, Hart would gently flop, face down, and play it for laughs.

Perhaps the 16,200 fans at the sold-out arena, or the 250,000 watching at home on pay-per-view, wouldn't even get the mocking reference. But McMahon and his boys at WWF would get it, and they'd laugh and slap backs. Because not only does McMahon's WWF routinely trounce Turner's WCW in the lucrative Monday-night cable ratings game, but the WWF knows how to enjoy a good rout.

But something went wrong up on the catwalk.

Hart's character was "the Blue Blazer"; the arena was darkened and a pretaped interview was shown on a big video screen as Hart, suspended horizontally Superman-style 78 feet above the arena, gazed down on a ring that must have looked like a postage stamp. He was hanging from a single cable, attached to it only by an easily triggered release mechanism; the plan was that once he was lowered and hovering directly over the ring, he would release himself to accomplish his anticlimactic flop. Waiting for his cue, the wrestler reached back to secure his elaborate feathered cape. A stage rigger hired by the WWF heard a pop. Hart's release trigger had snapped, and the wrestler went into an unplanned free fall. He was moving at 50 miles an hour when he slammed head first onto the ring's corner turnbuckle. He was killed almost instantly from a ruptured aorta and massive internal bleeding. (Since the arena was all but dark, and the TVs were showing the intro tape, few of those present, and no one watching pay-per-view at home, actually witnessed Hart's deadly fall.)

Life for the 53-year-old McMahon and the WWF (not to mention the Hart family) has not been the same since that night in Kansas City. Thanks to his botched handling of the crisis in the hours and days that followed the fall, McMahon is now in the fight of his life. Two weeks ago, the Hart family filed a wrongful-death lawsuit against him and the WWF. The suit could conceivably shut down the company. Meanwhile, the Kansas City police, which found no signs of foul play and initially treated the fall as an accident, have gone back and opened a criminal investigation. They're now trying to determine if the WWF took proper precautions in setting up the stunt, and whether Hart, who had no professional stunt experience, should have been up on the catwalk to begin with. If not, WWF execs could face involuntary manslaughter charges and seven years in prison.

This article explains why Owen was high up in the rafters. IMO, Owen Hart died unnecessarly due a senseless joke toward a rival wrestling competitor. Owen was the remaining Hart left at WWF/E during the time of his death because the other Hart Foundation members were wrestling for WCW. IMO, I don't believe that any other Hall of Fame inductee with Owen's wrestling skills & capabilities was killed inside the ring. WWE should honor Owen sooner than later and place him in the Hall of Fame. I'm sure many may disagree with me but this is just my opinion and I'm entitled to that.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
This article explains why Owen was high up in the rafters. IMO, Owen Hart died unnecessarly due a senseless joke toward a rival wrestling competitor. Owen was the remaining Hart left at WWF/E during the time of his death because the other Hart Foundation members were wrestling for WCW. IMO, I don't believe that any other Hall of Fame inductee with Owen's wrestling skills & capabilities was killed inside the ring. WWE should honor Owen sooner than later and place him in the Hall of Fame. I'm sure many may disagree with me but this is just my opinion and I'm entitled to that.

Once again, you are focusing too much on the death aspect. It doesn't matter. What matters is that he is being judged objectively, and truthfully Owen doesn't belong there.

Owen did nothing truly special or spectacular in his career beyond taking a swan dive into the ring post. And that's your arguement for putting him in. Not good enough buddy.