Triple H talks CM Punk, PG & midcard talent

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Triple H appeared on Busted Open, which airs every Monday and Wednesday on Sirius 92 and XM 207 from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. Highlights from the interview are as follows:

CM Punk's controversial promo on June 27: "Punk said something about doofus, but he called John Laurinitis douchebag, which is way worse, right? The joke in the back was "at least I'm just a doofus, you're a douchebag." If you look at it from that standpoint, he called me a doofus, Stephanie an idiot and Johnny a douchebag, and everyone said "Oh my God!" He tore the roof off the place! He ripped the veil off! And it was like the most crazy promo of all time!" 5 years ago, no one would have blinked. That would have been a tame segment. Everyone would have looked at that promo and said "So what?" he didn't say anything. In order for that to get the reaction that it did, we had to go where it had to go.

"I think sometimes, people think we bumble through this. Especially, and I don't mean this disparagingly, the internet fan I think sometimes thinks that we throw darts at the wall and fumble around to see what we can come up with next. I mean there is actually a plan to a lot of this stuff, but things change. It's live television, and people react certain ways and things don't happen the way you expect them too, and you have to make changes. But there is a plan to a lot of this."

Midcard talent possibly being affected by WWE's rebranding: "Well I don't think the end of the brands is here at all. I think it's for a period of time, it's trying to give the best shows that we can. If I was a mid-card guy or lower end, certainly I would look at that and go "Oh man, the spot that could have been mine is now Randy Orton's". To me, I'm a big believer, You know everyone thinks we make the stars. The guys make themselves. We follow what the fans want. Make yourself relevant. Go out and make yourself relevant. If you have been doing the same thing for years, and you have been getting the same reaction, and you're in the same spot, change. We tell the guys that all the time and yet they don't do it. We try to help them.

"There is just a different mentality, guys have to be willing and I think a lot of them think that they do, but they have to be willing to go out there and take it. They got to be willing to step on toes. They got to be willing to jump ahead. It's a business. Be willing to step up and not take no for an answer. I have been a big believer that if you're good enough, the cream rises to the top and you will get the spot."

The PG product: "We had pushed the envelope so far and you get to a point that after a while, its like, Vince will always use this expression, even though it was completely irrelevant from a timeframe standpoint, but we had "Chainsaw Charlie". Where do you go after a guy with a chainsaw? But there is a certain point and time where you heard all this stuff on TV you have to pull it back to a point where it almost becomes sterile to get back to a point where you can begin to touch the envelope again where people go "OOH! Like we made it so sterile, like when CM Punk said Ass for the first time, people were like "Oh My God, he said ass!" Where ass was said every 4 seconds for a while. We have to pull it back. Will we ever get where we were before? No, because the world has changed.

"I just don't think you can kind of do that programming now, with the way that the world is. We will never get back all the way there. But I think there is definitely a huge gap between where we were and where we went to. But I think for the right reasons. You have to get to a point where you almost sterilize it to make it seem edgy again. If you just back it off a little bit, it kind of seems a little watered down. So we just took it to where it needed to go to get it back to where it needed to be."
Only thing I'll disagree with him with on this is saying people would have said so what if he had said this 5 years ago. For him to still say the stuff he said and deliver it the way he did it would have still gained a great reaction and been known as a great promo. However it just was a much bigger deal now and viewed at as classic because of time we are in as far as WWE goes like Trips said. Think he was spot on about the PG stuff and why I never really viewed it as horrible like other people viewed it. Allows you to slowly open it back up again and have things seem like a big deal compared to how they wouldn't in a company like TNA. Pretty good read here.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Only thing I'll disagree with him with on this is saying people would have said so what if he had said this 5 years ago. For him to still say the stuff he said and deliver it the way he did it would have still gained a great reaction and been known as a great promo. However it just was a much bigger deal now and viewed at as classic because of time we are in as far as WWE goes like Trips said. Think he was spot on about the PG stuff and why I never really viewed it as horrible like other people viewed it. Allows you to slowly open it back up again and have things seem like a big deal compared to how they wouldn't in a company like TNA. Pretty good read here.
5 years ago Edge was saying the same shit basically and equally hot or hotter since his staying power was constant from that point on.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
5 years ago Edge was saying the same shit basically and equally hot or hotter since his staying power was constant
Not really because they were on a different level of edge. Punk is more on some anti estblishment shit and have bottled up anger all these years so I'm gonna say what I' am gonna say. Edge on the other hand was incorperating sexual stuff into it and personal lives. They were both the same in terms of breaking the wall or whatever but to generalize them both as the same thing isn't fair to either guy.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Not minimizing Punk. It would have just been hard for him to get nearly the same reaction on Raw 5 years ago, since both characters would hit their stride at the same time. It is hard to out shock the shit Edge was pulling off to get over being lude, crude, and rude. Punk has the edge, pun intended, of being in an era where the shocks are at a minimum and there is no other new act or persona to steal his spotlight.

Heck not having HHH, Dave, Edge, Taker, and HBK around as competitors actually helps him as well because they have to focus on him instead of what is established

Onyx

Reaction score
I somewhat disagree with some stuff Triple H said about not going back to where it use to be. Because, as a fan who grew up in the Attitude Era, and stayed a fan all through the Ruthless Aggression Era, and still a fan going in the PG Era. I can honestly say, that WWE could possibly become less PG rated than they already are. Because WWE would be a lot edgy if they allowed a few TV-14 rated things back on there. Because TV-14 rated material was used commonly in the Attitude & Ruthless Era. Even if SmackDown was brought into the WWE as a PG show. Because even when SmackDown was PG rated. In the Attitude Era, they didn't talk like it was PG lol. Also in the early Ruthless Aggression Era (2002-2004) they mostly didn't talk or act like it was PG rated. Only in the middle of the Ruthless Era was when they started to acknowledge the PG rating on SmackDown. And of course when the Ruthless Aggression Era was over in 2008. RAW become PG and they were following the PG rating. But RAW was always TV-14 rated.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Yeah they basically had to tip toe and change up their whole image after benoit

Onyx

Reaction score
Yeah they basically had to tip toe and change up their whole image after benoit

Now that I think about it, you're right. Because 2007 was the last year of the Ruthless Aggression Era. And after the Benoit tragedy, WWE did kind of wind down a bit. So that makes a lot of sense.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Not minimizing Punk. It would have just been hard for him to get nearly the same reaction on Raw 5 years ago, since both characters would hit their stride at the same time. It is hard to out shock the shit Edge was pulling off to get over being lude, crude, and rude. Punk has the edge, pun intended, of being in an era where the shocks are at a minimum and there is no other new act or persona to steal his spotlight.

Heck not having HHH, Dave, Edge, Taker, and HBK around as competitors actually helps him as well because they have to focus on him instead of what is established
Oh yeah I agree with that and it is actually what I said in my post. It wouldn't have got the same big reaction not a chance but all I'm saying is it still would have been known as a great promo and launching pad for Punk to have a big push. Him doing it now though is better because of how everything Trips pointed out and can and kinda is starting a new era for WWE which wouldn't have happened in 06.

LLCoolJoel

Reaction score
The way the Chris Benoit weekend happened. It actually changed the way Wrestling is viewed. It allowed the smaller types of wrestlers to become successful (Punk, Brian and Miz) it changed what can be viewed because of the heavy scrutiny wrestling as a whole was being looked under. I guess the question that needs to be asked is to the importance that Drug resulted deaths have impacted on the whole wrestling landscape.