Tri-Branded PPV's and Too Many Titles a Problem?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

newmie

Reaction score
I was hired the dvd Monday Night War out last night to get the real insight to why WCW enevitably lost the monday night wars. The main thing that really stuck out in my mind that Jericho and Foley continued to mention was that WCW didnt build stars during the time. They refused to push guys past Hall, Nash, Hogan etc. Only one guy got through, Goldberg. Jericho who was in WCW or the most part of the wars kept mentioning the young stars being pushed in the WWE, Edge, Christian, the Hardys, the Dudleys... while WCW had guys like Guerrero, Benoit, Jericho, Malenko, Mysterio, who were the backbone o the company, but none were getting a push to the main event, and becoming the faces of the company.

This got me to thinking, what the hell is so different now to then, and why isn't the WWE pushing as many young stars as they used to, and not utilising talents. I see the lack of competition as a reason, with TNA not yet ready to become a real competetor. But IMO the problem is too many titles, and the fact that all PPV's are tri-branded.

I'll start with the PPV's. The reasons or changing to having all brands involved in all PPVs were too gain higher ratings and so they didnt leave ECW high and dry. But this is a problem. Now the PPV's are stacked with the main eventers, and their are no midcard/young guys getting the opportunity to work a PPV match. Back when there were single branded PPVs, many o the young guys/midcard guys got a chance to show off their skills and move up the ranks. a few examples:

Judgement Day 05:
Carlito def. Big Show, Rey def. Eddie Guerrero, Booker T def. Angle

GAB 05:
Booker T def. Christian, Taker def. Hassan, Jordan def. Benoit

GAB 06:
Kennedy def. Batista, Helms def. Matt Hardy, London and Kendrick def Noble and Kash

All mid card matches, or involving young stars with a current push.

Now i can understand turning all the PPVs to tri branded, as ECW can't hold its own in PPV's, and they draw larger ratings, but it does hurt the WWE.

But i feel the real problem is, too many titles. There are three World Championships, if you can class the ECW one a world championship (the Champ was in the Royal Rumble for god sake). Automatically this means three matches are taken up on the PPV. Generally there is 1 if not both the mid card titles up for grabs, and a womens title match. Thats 6 matches. there are two tag team title belts, everynow and then they have a tag title match (survivor series for example.. but again thats only because all the main eventers are involved in a one match 5 vs 5, or title match). Also there is the cruiserweight title, but i think they have scrapped that alltogether. With all these titles, there is no chance for a mid card fued to get a PPV match. Some of the best matchs are the fued matchs that dont involve a title. They dont even have to be mid card wrestlers, but ever main event star is either in the main event, or not involved in the PPV. Think back, i remember a few matchs specifically, Christian vs Jericho wrestlemania (cross branded, but less titles), Kurt Angle vs Shawn Michaels Wrestlemania, John Cena vs Undertaker. HAving these mid/upper card fueds with no titles involved really builds superstars, John Cena is a perfect example. He fueded with the likes of the Undertaker, Booker, Angle, Benoit and Guerrero, none involving titles, and now look where he is, hes superman. But with so many titles, you can have fueds, you have title matches.

So yeh, just thought i'd have a bit of a rant, what is everyone's thoughts and opinions on this issue?

The Rated R CMStar

No, I don't agree. PPVs aren't the place to push midcard talent. Sure, you had more feuds on each show, but most of them were irrelevant. We went from having Bobby Lashley forcing Simon Dean to eat burgers to well, see 3 World Titles being defended on the same PPV. I rather have as midcard match an ECW Title Match than matches just thrown away to fill the card, like the ones you post, Booker vs Christian, etc...

smark101.

Reaction score
ppvs are not the only place to push mid-carders...

more people watch raw than ppv, so pushing mid-carders on raw would be alot smarter.