Training at All Pro Wrestling School (Beyond The Mat)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Skip Brutale

Reaction score
I'm going to be moving to the Bay Area in a month or two and discovered there is a wrestling school near where I'll be, www.allprowrestling.com , this is the school that was shown in Beyond The Mat. I was wondering if anyone has had experience with school, or has anything to share.

I see that a student died a few years ago when he was told to continue training after receiving a concussion, and I didn't think the segment in Beyond The Mat made it look very positive, but from what I've read this school is pretty well respected and has created some talented wrestlers. Mike Modest and most or all the trainers left earlier this decade as well, so I'm wondering how things have been since.

I'm in my late 20s and thin so I don't expect to ever "make it" as a wrestler, but I think it would be a cool experience to undergo the training so I could work a match, and go get jobbed on the weekend in some local shows. If I went through the trouble of all the training I'd of course be trying hard to gain alot of muscle as well.

The cost is $6000 total for 3 different phases of training each lasting 6 months. $6000 is a large amount to sign a contract for especially without knowing how well I can handle taking bumps and hold up in general. If I take a BJJ class my commitment is month to month but I guess this is focused for guys who are hoping to make a living off wrestling.

Would love to hear any advice or experiences.

Reaction score
It's not meant for anyone in particular. Training schools are open for one sole reason; for the trainers to get your money, it doesn't matter who you are. Severely obese people who can't make it through 1 day and 130 lbs 5'6 weaklings are let in despite there being no future for them. Wrestling schools are bunk these days as no promotions really run them for the sake of farming talent as much as to gain a profit. Plus six grand is pretty steep for a school, while having been on a 10 year old DVD, hasn't produced any notable talent. If you were moving to Texas, for half that price, you could train @ Rudy Boy Gonzalez's school. He was the head trainer for HBK's academy and trained Danielson, Paul London, Spanky, Hernandez and Lance Cade and some other talent that has been looked at by WWE.

Either way it's tough and grueling and not meant for anyone who is just doing it to be a job boy and especially don't let your trainers know that, because if they are any sort of decent, they will root you out. I'm not trying to shit on your parade, I've spoken with alot of indy guys on the Texas scene where alot of the old timers still have the old school mentality and respect for their business. Even the indy scene is full of politics and backstabbers and thieves. Be prepared.

Reaction score
I am a former backyarder, i trained myself (watched wrestling DVDs, played games etc. And was stupid enough to try it) Its a tough gig and if you arent ready mentally as well as physically then you SHOULD NOT attempt it.

And $6000 is pretty steep, more cost effective to train yourself and you dont have some wash out yelling at you to give him 50 pushups on your knuckles.

Bottom line: If you think you are ready then by all means go for it. But if there is even a little bit of doubt then just dont.

Reaction score
^^^^No knock on you whatsoever, but if you tell a semi decent promoter that you trained yourself, you won't get any work. Only backyard promoters give backyard workers a shot and usually but that's not saying much considering the average indy promotion (we're not talking RoH, PWG or Chikara or DG) draws probably 20-40 people and the average guy works for 20 bucks and that's even if a "wash out" yelled at you. As shitty as schools are, you still need to go to a respectable school to get any sort of respectable work.

Reaction score
Was more of a hobby for me, never really made any money off it, and i agree that any promoter would hear alarm bells if i tried to get legit work and said "I trained myself, when do i start?".

Was just offering my two cents on the matter.

Reaction score
I know, no offense meant. Hopefully none taken. Trust me, I used to break my friend through sheet rock and fiber glass boards many a time in my day. Fun as shit to not be on the receiving end.

Reaction score
No harm no foul (i think thats the expression...?), just figured if he was thinking of getting into the wrestling biz he should know what to expect.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Hate to be a defeatist but he should go in with the expectation that he'll never do sweet fuck all and should have a fall back plan. Forget what promoters are like, reality indicates that having a real back up plan is more important than anything else.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
It's incredibly stupid that you don't expect to make it as a wrestler yet you are asking people if you should spend $6000 on it.

The obvious answer is no.

Reaction score
Prior to investing your money there, I really recommend talking to some of the wrestlers that have already gone through the program and those already in it. Ask them if they're happy with the training methods and if the money they spent or are spending is worth it. Do it out of earshot of the people you'll be paying because the reviews will obviously be glowing.

Looking at the site, Spike Dudley is the only name they drop as a graduate of the "boot camp" and to be honest, Spike fans aside, that's not a good sign. I'm not saying they have to be as prestigious as the Hart Dungeon, but when there's only one graduate that can say they've had even remote success in wrestling, $6000 seems like a lot to pay for a program with no proven track record.

Find out if you have to pay all of it in advance or in installments over time. If they require you to sign a contract, regardless of how unimportant it seems, consider having a lawyer look over it prior to signing.

Good luck.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I just came across this thread and thought I'd share some thoughts on the whole becoming a wrestling thing:

I always have wanted to be a wrestler, and over the last year and a half while in college I have decided that i do want to pursue my childhoold dream. Now, I dont mean right here and now because A) I know wrestling school isn't cheap and B) I am not done with college and I want to wait until I am done, just in case it doesn't work out I have a back up plan. I am about 3 quarters or so away from my Associate's degree and I want to either look for a school after that or just wait until I get a BA.

I have looked into a few schools and I am narrowing it down, there are a few schools I have really taken some interest in, one being the Hart family school, ther is a school in Atlanta called the WWA4 (or something like that) that looks like a great school as well I read that it's similar to the old WCW Power Plant. But I'm not 100% sure.

If anyone else knows of any good school to look into fell free to let me know, I also am considering the Shawn Michael's academy as well.

Reaction score
Re the HBK academy: Shawn was only there for like a year and he being there was more as a motivational thing, his back was still fucked at the time. His head trainer, a journeyman by the name of Rudy Boy Gonzalez took over the school and produced a load of talent including Bryan Danielson, Paul London, Spanky, Lance Cade and Hotstuff Hernandez amongst his most notable, he was the guy who brought all those guys to RoH's attention and if you watched the very first RoH shows, he and his talent were all over them, including Don Juan and Chris Marval. But I heard he's retiring and don't know the last time he ran a class. But for your money and as far as producing the most successful young talent, he doesn't have many competitors.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
I looked up Gonzalez and his credentials and they are top-notch no dobt. I also looked into the WWA4 school as well, Mr. Hughes is the head trainer, and I have read he is higly regarded as a trainer. The list of guys he has trained includes; Heath Slater, Elix Skipper, Mark Jindrack among others, those just are off the top of my head. Of course, Gonzalez has quite the resume as well... Both are among the two I am considering heavily at this point, I likely wont be enrolling until this Summer at the earliest.