Top 5: WCW

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

NinoBrown

Reaction score
For those who actually watched WCW during their run, name the top five in the following categories:

PPVs
Wrestlers (War Games style, Face vs. Heel)
Matches
Feuds

I'll name mine later.

Reaction score
Wrestlers: Flair- who else could be no. 1?
Sting-unequivocally the franchise for WCW, but can't be no.1 because the precursor to WCW was built on Flair's back
Vader- Best homegrown WCW heel ever, I'd say Hogan, but Hogan is a Vince product.
Arn Anderson- The absolute consummate performer who did everything in the company besides be there top champ
DDP- Proof positive that hard work at any age can lead to success.

*NOTE: I can not and will not list any workers that were created by Vince. While they deserve major credit for WCW's turnaround and success, they were not WCW branded, just WCW paid. And I refuse to put Goldberg here also because he was a 2 year flash in the pan, ala Ultimate Warrior. And I jsut don't want to do a War Games style match because most of the guys who I'd put in there were mostly Crockett-NWA guys and not WCW guys...screw it, for shits and giggles:
Magnum TA, Sting, Luger and the Stieners vs Flair, Anderson, Blanchard, Ole Anderson and Barry Windham (aka the Original and best stand in Horsemen)
and match 2: DDP, Dusty, Road Warriors and Goldberg vs. Sid Vicious, Midnight Express, Nikita Koloff and Vader

PPVS: this is hard...Halloween Havoc 97, World War3 96, SuperBrawl 91, 92, Spring Stampede 98 and the very first WresleWar.

Matches: Malenko/Benoit vs. West Texas Rednecks
All three Flair/Steamboat matches*
Malenko/Benoit vs Raven and Saturn from Nitro Springbreakout in 99
anything from Sting/Vader*
Sting/Rick Rude from the cross promotional show with NJPW where Sting breaks Rude's neck
Rey/Ultimo Dragon World War 3
Rey/Eddy Halloween Havoc 97*
Ultimo/Malenko, from a Monday Nitro
Bret/Benoit -Owen Memorial match
Steamer/Douglas vs Windham/Rhodes
Stieners vs Sting/Luger SuperBrawl 91 *
War Games 92: Dangerous Alliance vs Team Sting
Flair vs. Bobby Eaton Clash of Champions June 91

matches from early WCW, Crockett-NWA
Magnum TA vs. Tully Blanchard- I Quit Cage Match, Starcade 85? So much emotion
ANY Midnight Express vs. Rock and Roll Express affair
Windham vs Flair- don't know the date, but it's on the WHC or Horsemen DVD, friggin awesome match

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Just going to say, I only watched from 96-end so i'm not going to go into anything past that. I'm only judging based on how I remembered it then, not off DVDs/vids i've seen,

Wrestlers:
1. Ultimo Dragon
2. DDP
3. Sting
4. Dean Malenko
5. Rey Mysterio Jr.

PPVs: This IS hard, even for me. In no certain order...
Uncensored 1997
Fall Brawl 1997
Great American Bash 1997
Starrcade 1996
World War 3 1996
(Also any PPV with a Triple Cage match, because i'm such a fan of those for some reason.)

War Games: Buff Bagwell, Glacier, Ernest "The Cat" Miller and Disco Inferno vs. Alex Wright, Oklahoma, Konnan and RoboCop (Only exception to above statement. He's just too good in the ring.)

Matches: Again, in no certain order.
Ultimo Dragon vs. Dean Malenko (Nitro)
Ultimo Dragon vs. Yuji Nagata (World War 3 1997)
The Ultimate Dragon vs. Dean Malenko (Starrcade 1996)
Ric Flair vs. Lex Luger vs. Sting (Starrcade 1995)
Dean Malenko vs. Rey Mysterio Jr. (Halloween Havoc 1996)

Axis

Reaction score
I didn't watch that much, especially the much older stuff, so I'm only doing wrestlers.

1. Sting - Involved in some of my favorite feuds and angles. One of the best storytellers in wrestling history.
2. Ric Flair - Also involved in some hot angles. As big as Hogan ever was, I always felt like Flair was the Ace of WCW.
3. Diamond Dallas Page - I was just a mark for him from about 1996 on, and his feud with Randy Savage was on of my favorites.
4. Chris Benoit - He was used better in the WWF, but he still ruled in WCW.
5. Goldberg - Made for my favorite Nitro match of all time: Hogan vs Goldberg, which was the somewhat WCW's version of what would become Hogan vs Rock; that being an average wrestling match with a surreal atmosphere. That and he was a great monster, who also portrayed vulnerability when needed.

Vader, Ricky Steamboat, and Eddie Guerrero get honorable mentions there.