Top 5 in ring workers in WWE

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

nation

Reaction score
Figured this would be some nice discussion. At the end of the day it's mostly down to opinions but if anyone has the balls to mention Santino or Cena, have at it.

1. D Bryan
2. CM Punk
3. Christian
4. Dolph Ziggler
5. Chris Jericho

Honorable mentions to Tyson Kidd, Sheamus, Mysterio, Orton and in case you're wondering, I'm obviously excluding inactive talent who rarely ever wrestle since it's not fair to count them.

Yes, I listed Ziggler and Christian before Jericho. Besides two lengthy injuries for Christian, both of these guys have been going strong for a few years now putting on excellent matches. Jericho has had some great matches with Punk and good matches with Sheamus but besides that, not much to discuss. Christian/Ziggler get good matches out of anyone and honestly, Jericho isn't good enough to do that now.

Christian could get a fucking solid match out of a green as hell Ezekiel Jackson. I'd like to see Jericho do that. But I can respect anyone who puts Ziggler over Christian, though. Ziggler is a workhorse for like over two years straight now.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
No Orton mention? LMFAO!

1. Punk
2. Orton
3. Bryan
4. Ziggler
5. Christian

And he's young, it's early, but I like Sandow...

nation

Reaction score
Orton over Bryan and Christian? What? He's great but he's had guys such as Ziggler, Christian, etc to work with and I actually meant Orton not Regal(I said I wasn't counting inactive talent) so yeah dumb moment, my bad. For direct comparison, I found the Christian/Rhodes matches to be a bit better than any of the Rhodes/Orton matches but as I said, it comes down to opinions and Orton is one of the most reliable workers in the ring.

Rell

Reaction score
Daniel Bryan is supposed to be #1 on EVERYONE'S list.

PeepShow

Best in the World
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
w7tcn6p
Favorite Wrestler
FOxu9qI
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
66EZrsh
Favorite Sports Team
OPg6il8
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Lulz at Orton in the top two. Agree with nation's list for the most part.

1. Danielson
2. Punk
3. Christian
4. Mysterio
5. Kidd

Jericho has fallen off a bit in my estimation as far as in ring work goes. Just doesn't seem to be the same. He's still a high honorable mention though along with Ziggler, Sheamus, Rhodes, McIntyre, etc. ADR would be on here but he's grown stale as fuck along with Orton. Hopefully he comes back on Monday with a change or something.

...god...

Reaction score
As of 2012:

1. Bryan
2. Punk
3. Ziggler
4. Sheamus
5. Jericho

HM: Cena or Christian (both haven't had a chance to do anything this year and Cena's got stuck with shit opponents)

Orton will be up there when he gets back and gets going, probably same for Rey.

Reaction score
I'm taking this as of 2012, like right now. But I will do overall too...

Pretty much a rip off of G1's...

1. Bryan- by far has been the best overall talent.
2. Punk- His 1,023 matches have all been good fun, only thing is Dragon outworked him in 1,022 of them.
3. Ziggler- He can really, really fucking bump, I mean we're talking HBK levels here. Too bad he can't talk and generates the heat of a cigarette butt in a Canadian winter.
4. Sheamus- Pretty solid overall. Too bad the way he is dominating is the way he should have been dominating as a heel.
5. Orton- fuck that "he had been working with Christian and Ziggler bullshit". Dude has improved leaps and bounds. People act like Christian is Edge, he isn't. And Ziggler is great, but I'll still wait for that 4-5 star classic that really cements him. In the Four Way between Orton-Sheamus-Jericho-Del Rio, Orton far and above outshined them all. Dude is the goods. He had a really solid match with Kane at Mania too.

If we are to do overall, ya know, considering what people have done throughout their careers in the WWE this past decade (so no "Christian was in the best TLC matches ever" bullshit)

1. Rey Misterio- Even with all the injuries, no one has been as consistent as Rey has been amongst all active talent.
2. John Cena - fuckin right. Has more better matches than Christian, Ziggler and many others do. 5 stars against Punk (and if you think Punk carried him, your str8 Blue). We can dance on this if you want to, Nation, I know you'll try. To even get my attention name three Chrisitan matches that get near Cena-Punk, both Cena-HBK matches and name a streak where Christian even comes close to touching Cena's 2007 .
3. CM Punk
4. Daniel Bryan- in a few years, he's top of the line
5. Orton- longevity helps the man. Foley-Orton, Taker-Orton, Orton-Christian, Orton-Trips LMS, Hd some really good matches with Mark Henry of all people, Orton-Punk

NinoBrown

Reaction score
Would Kane get an honorable mention or is Kane's entire career an honorable mention so we count him out?

nation

Reaction score
As of 2012:

1. Bryan
2. Punk
3. Ziggler
4. Sheamus
5. Jericho

HM: Cena or Christian (both haven't had a chance to do anything this year and Cena's got stuck with shit opponents)

Orton will be up there when he gets back and gets going, probably same for Rey.

Jericho over Christian? What...and what does doing anything have to do with in ring work? It's about strictly that. I'm well aware that Christian hasn't been booked well but he has good matches with Rhodes, Miz, Ziggler, Del Rio, etc recently in the past few months. Jericho has nothing to speak of besides the matches with Punk and Sheamus.
I'm taking this as of 2012, like right now. But I will do overall too...

Pretty much a rip off of G1's...

1. Bryan- by far has been the best overall talent.
2. Punk- His 1,023 matches have all been good fun, only thing is Dragon outworked him in 1,022 of them.
3. Ziggler- He can really, really fucking bump, I mean we're talking HBK levels here. Too bad he can't talk and generates the heat of a cigarette butt in a Canadian winter.
4. Sheamus- Pretty solid overall. Too bad the way he is dominating is the way he should have been dominating as a heel.
5. Orton- fuck that "he had been working with Christian and Ziggler bullshit". Dude has improved leaps and bounds. People act like Christian is Edge, he isn't. And Ziggler is great, but I'll still wait for that 4-5 star classic that really cements him. In the Four Way between Orton-Sheamus-Jericho-Del Rio, Orton far and above outshined them all. Dude is the goods. He had a really solid match with Kane at Mania too.

If we are to do overall, ya know, considering what people have done throughout their careers in the WWE this past decade (so no "Christian was in the best TLC matches ever" bullshit)

1. Rey Misterio- Even with all the injuries, no one has been as consistent as Rey has been amongst all active talent.
2. John Cena - fuckin right. Has more better matches than Christian, Ziggler and many others do. 5 stars against Punk (and if you think Punk carried him, your str8 Blue). We can dance on this if you want to, Nation, I know you'll try. To even get my attention name three Chrisitan matches that get near Cena-Punk, both Cena-HBK matches and name a streak where Christian even comes close to touching Cena's 2007 .
3. CM Punk
4. Daniel Bryan- in a few years, he's top of the line
5. Orton- longevity helps the man. Foley-Orton, Taker-Orton, Orton-Christian, Orton-Trips LMS, Hd some really good matches with Mark Henry of all people, Orton-Punk

Someone doesn't like Christian...I said I can respect Ziggler over Christian but Orton? For direct comparison right here, Christian got a better match with Rhodes with less time. I'd like to see Orton pull a solid match from Jackson, nobody besides Christian has. You want some close to Punk matches? Irony here for the Christian/Orton debate but pretty much all their matches besides the MITB one. Christian/Del Rio at EC too. I know you're going to sit here and be a fanboy and say they aren't even close but they were amazing matches. Almost 5 stars. But then there is many other factors to mention, like the fact that Christian never has a bad match where most of Cena's matches leave a lot to be desired(Rock/Cena was horrid) and no before you call me out, I'm aware that most of the blame goes on Rocky but it also says a lot about the skill level of Cena. Bryan, Punk, Ziggler, Christian, even Orton could have at least got something decent out of him.

Streak? This is about in ring work, if you're going to mention streak of good matches, I'd like to refer to Christian's entire TNA run, his run as ECW champ and really what the past 6-7 years?

Would Kane get an honorable mention or is Kane's entire career an honorable mention so we count him out?

If I named other honorable mention, it would definitely be him. For his age, he can go. Bryan/Punk didn't carry him at all, he held his own in the triple threat with them. Guy is a legend. He doesn't have as many accomplishments as he should but it doesn't matter, Triple H and Cena have had absurd amount of title reigns but Kane out classes them both ten fold in putting over other guys.

...god...

Reaction score
Wait what? When did Christian have a match with Ziggler? Must have missed it, gonna look. His match with Miz was pretty good, don't remember the ones with Rhodes being THAT good, and don't remember him having a match with Del Rio this year and if he did I'm pretty sure it wasn't good because Del Rio sucks. As a matter of fact, Christian is one of the only people to carry him to a good match, something Edge couldn't do. The Edge/Orton matches were horrible too. And by doing anything I meant Christian was injured most of the fuckin year, or not even on TV. And he never gets a chance or gets any time with good opponents anyways because Vince hates him. And Cena was stuck facing Kane and Big Show for the better part of the year was what I was saying.

EDIT: Just saw it, 6/8/12 SD. It just goes to what I was talking about, they give him 6 mins for a fuckin match, it's absolutely Blue. He's the most underutilized worker in the past decade in the WWE, by far. Give him 15+ minutes with Ziggler or Bryan or Punk or fucking Cena and it'd be a guaranteed clinic. But for 6 minutes, it was pretty good. You're probably right, but I want to see how Jericho/Ziggler works out, as it could be very good. Jericho works a lot better as a face.

Reaction score
Someone doesn't like Christian...I said I can respect Ziggler over Christian but Orton? For direct comparison right here, Christian got a better match with Rhodes with less time. I'd like to see Orton pull a solid match from Jackson, nobody besides Christian has

I don't like him. I won't hide it. And he's fairly over rated. Edge, he sure aint. Someone doesn't like Orton. At least have the nerve to admit, fanboy. Christian got a decent match out of Zeke? So? Orton not only got good matches out of Mark fuckin Henry, he got him OVER. Good matches with Henry and getting him over> one friggin match with Zeke

Christian/Del Rio at EC too. I know you're going to sit here and be a fanboy and say they aren't even close but they were amazing matches. Almost 5 stars. But then there is many other factors to mention, like the fact that Christian never has a bad match where most of Cena's matches leave a lot to be desired(Rock/Cena was horrid) and no before you call me out, I'm aware that most of the blame goes on Rocky but it also says a lot about the skill level of Cena. Bryan, Punk, Ziggler, Christian, even Orton could have at least got something decent out of him.

Sit here and fanboy the way you are fanboyin Christian?? Pot calling the kettle Nope, eh Nope? And those Orton/Christian matches are 3.75 to 4.25. Good matches, very good matches. His Del Rio TLC match is at about 4 flat. Wrestling is completely subjective, but you are calling them 5 star matches to pad your argument... HBK/Cena, Cena/Punk...those are AMAZING matches. 4.5 and 5 star matches. There is a difference between 4 and 5 star matches. Christian hasn't been near 5 stars since 2001.

Streak? This is about in ring work, if you're going to mention streak of good matches, I'd like to refer to Christian's entire TNA run, his run as ECW champ and really what the past 6-7 years?

This is a thread you made about WWE workers. What Christian did in TNA is irrelevant to what he has done in WWE. Let's see, he had a pretty good triple threat with Cena and Jericho before he went to TNA (where he had some very good matches with Kurt Angle, AJ Styles AND Samoa Joe...to hit on your Rock-Cena point, those guys are all top notch workers...sooo yeah...working with top level guys all around in a company that lets you go all out because they need anything and everything they can get or Cena working a dude who hasn't worked in 7 years and had to work a little soft to ensure Rocky didn't get hurt and on top of it, it was a pretty hard hitting match. Shouldn't have been 25+ mins tho)

And exactly what did Christian do as ECW champ? A couple of fun tv matches with Regal and then the show folded? LOL.

Cena's run in 07, IN RING WORK ONLY...

Rumble 07 vs. Umaga 4 stars. Awesome ending. Helped elevate Umaga for sure.
Mania vs. HBK 4.25 stars. Wasn't even the main event they wanted. Fucking awesome match.
Raw vs. HBK 4.75 stars. Cena can't work marathon? Bullshit. Better than ANY match Christian has ever had on TV and almost anything he ever did as a singles worker
Unforgiven 4 way vs. Orton/HBK/ Edge 4 stars. Solid match. Absolutely solid and Cena wasn't carried. Kind of the defining moment of the run really.
GAB vs. Lashley 3.5 stars. Should have been a dud but was wayyyy better than it should have been. Kind of hits on your Christian vs Zeke match, except, ya know, people paid to see it and it was significant.
SummerSlam vs. Orton 4 stars. Good match, if not their best match together. Hard hitting, Cena really helped carry an Orton who was trying to get his "methodical" pace down
Plus some really fun TV matches against Orton, Edge and HBK

Low points...The Khali feud...what can you do. And getting fucking injured by Anderson. Wonder why he got fired? How about the fact that he fucking injured top guys and was also a death wish in terms as working with Eddy and Umaga in their last matches?? He's the fucking Batman director of wrestling.

Seriously, this is probably the best run anyone except maybe Edge had as champion from 2002-2012.

So, fuck what Christian did in TNA, that is completely irrelevant here, his ECW run LOL. What has Christian put together in the WWE as a singles wrestler than even compares to that? NOTHING. You can compare him to Orton all you like, I like what I like, you like what you like. But don't try to compare him to Cena, Cena's 07 trumps almost any wrestler's top year in this millenium sans Austin in 01.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
To me, it's really hard to make an accurate list, simply because there are so many variables involved. It's extremely hard to judge true wrestling talent in terms of WWE, There are so many variables to consider into who gets over that people like to throw around. As well as who gets time and put into position to succeed and have those great matches. I'm just gonna break mine down into two categories, one entirely based on matches in WWE this year, and a category of who i'd want to wrestle in a world of no politics, merch sales or storylines, and everyone gets huge pops. (A "pound for pound" for wrestling deal I guess.)

Category 1:
1. Daniel Bryan (For God's sake, Flywalker, could you be more biased!? :smh )
2. Sheamus
3. John Cena
4. Kane
5. CM Punk - (Would have been higher had he not been outshined every month by Bryan, or he might not have made it at all.)

HM: Orton, Jericho (Would have made it without suspensions.) Christian, (Injury) & Ziggler (Q1 working with shit).

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
The actual best wrestler list:

1. Daniel Bryan
2. Justin Gabriel
3. Tyson Kidd
4. Sin Cara
5. Rey Mysterio

HM: Christian, Punk, Sheamus, Del Rio, Sakamoto.

...god...

Reaction score
what was the plan main event for WM 23? Hogan/Cena? Or something. And btw you said you actually liked Christian not too long ago... you said you liked him but he's just overrated in another thread.