Too Soon to Call AEW the New WCW?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Out selling? Both company's are selling out their shows.

And ONE is touring internationally, so to make the claim that they are WCW level, is just asinine,

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Out selling? Both company's are selling out their shows.

And ONE is touring internationally, so to make the claim that they are WCW level, is just asinine,
In markets where they directly compete, AEW is outpacing WWE by a 5-1 margin on ticket sales, but this is where we get off.

If you only want to see WWE succeed, that's your prerogative. We're done here. :wedone

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Inb4 “tickets are cheaper.” Excuse I seen all the time when brought up

Reactions: Roy Mustang

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
LOL disagreeing with a silly comparison is considered blind hatred I guess :shrug:

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Nah, many people disagreed with the WCW comparison, but trying to completely discredit AEW is.

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Laying out the facts is not disparaging.

I never said anything about their worth or levied my subjective tastes on AEW, I stated factual statement on their level in business.

You conflating minute ticket sales in rasslin hubs is disingenuous. Using outdated metrics like ratings and demos is also picking at straws.

Look up the Wrestlenomics guy, and he'll tell you how AEW is nowhere near WWE in terms of financials.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I was the one laying out the facts. Here's the facts again for you:

First wrestling promotion since WCW to sell 200 thousand PPV buys in 20 years not named WWE.
First wrestling promotion since WCW to sell out a 20 thousand seat venue (and regularly selling out 10 thousand seaters) not named WWE in 20 years.
Outpacing WWE in direct market ticket sales competition.
Closing the TV ratings within half a point and beating them in the demo.

You conflating minute ticket sales in rasslin hubs is disingenuous. Using outdated metrics like ratings and demos is also picking at straws.
This is you literally trying to discredit AEW because you don't like the metrics AEW is competing in.

Also, you can keep spinning that lie, but ratings and demos are not outdated. It's literally how networks get advertising.

Again, no one cares that WWE has billion dollar deals with corporations. But the fact is AEW is competing with WWE where it matters, consumers.

You don't have to point how it's not close. I told you ages ago AEW is not trying to make more money than WWE. Point was possibly a number 2 again.

Now leave it. There's zero point in going in circles. You're only going to say again that WWE makes more money from tv deals. No one disputes that.

:wedone

Last edited:

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Suits liking making money from other suits. News at eleven. Sounds like a circle jerk. :zayn

• Haha
Reactions: Hidden Blaze

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
When they start collecting 55 mil for ONE show.....maybe we can call them competition.

They making money, not much the way trust fund Tony spends his daddy's money, but they making money. But let's get this straight, they are not competition, and probably will not be, unless they get an IPO, a billion dollar TV deal and the sponsors who WWE have partnered with.
No, that's not what he's saying. WWE is a juggernaut, but WCW was able to compete with WWE at scale, whereas WWE competed at brand recognition.

The difference here, is Tony Khan loves wrestling, but he answers to a "Ted Turner." Cody Rhodes is currently the modern day Jeff Jarrett. A founder that masquerades as superstar.

Thing is, though WCW was great at marketing in the 90's. It didn't have a strong brand. Even I, marketing guy at 38, can tell you in 1990, it WAS brutal for WCW to grab fans to TV. I ALMOST didn't discover WCW. You know why? Because it was just another wrestling show. I can say the same thing for Ring of Honor the TV show. But, that's only because of the production isn't there yet for them.

[I watched WCW with my parents for the first time, but didn't care too much. I watched WWF for the first time, with a friend. Didn't care, either... Hogan on WCW, Hart on WWF. Crazy a kid not interested? BUT... somehow, I discovered Stone Cold Steve Austin a lil later, I became a huge fan, because of how well done Austin's storylines were, based on his gimmick. WCW? nWo, baby. But I did not see Hogan's heel turn until about a week or two after. I think I made my point here.]

I know Ring of Honor has the biggest names in wrestling went there. But you can't sit there and tell me they can draw 5th of what WCW could do. But AEW is doing it... slowly, and slowly.

It's not an insult to call AEW the next WCW, we're talking about scale vs money.
Investors do. :oops
Actually.

I am a startup founder, and I can tell you its more nuanced than that.

Investors do care where the money comes from, but Vince McMahon is cutting deals behind the scenes that HAS NOTHING to do with the product.

In the last few years...
- Saudi Arabia deals causes one show a year IN Saudi Arabia. (Crown Jewel, WWE's "King of the Ring" replacement.)
- WWE Network launch, partnership with MLB, leads to Fox partnership.
- WWE Network "sold" to NBCUniversal to keep stock price from freefalling.
- NBCUniversal puts WWE Network on Peacock.

Vince is C.E.O. but his focus isn't on consumer spending, which means buying shirts, buying tickets, buying video games, DVDs, Blu-Ray, and so on.

His focus is advertising to COVER COSTS of operations.

WWE damn near died during the pandemic during WrestleMania. You didn't notice that... but I did. If it wasn't for Vince cutting deals with Fox in the months before WrestleMania, we wouldn't see A WRESTLEMANIA. One year without WrestleMania.

That. ALMOST. HAPPENED.

Thing is, though... investors don't care where you make the money, as long as the money lands into their pockets.

The next big crisis is ahead, and sadly I don't see a scenario where Vince can cut backroom deals and get away with corporate scrutiny.

Vince is going to be called out for this, eventually. But his current focus is backroom advertising deals and not what the company's original metrics.

Which is:
- Brand Power
- Merchandise sales
- TV Ratings (related to advertising)
- PPV Buyrates
- Arena attendance/Ticket sales

Like, Vince's focus is advertising at the expense of everything else.

Oh, and then, there's streaming, which is a market he wants into when its popular or more mainstream. Right now, it's not. We're in the early honeymoon phase with streaming.

Last edited:

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock