Tony Khan Says Exploding Barbed Wire Deathmatch Expenses Were Refunded, Will Do The Match Again

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
As per fightful/Dan Lebatard

Tony talking about what went wrong with the botched explosions

"I'll never let the non-wrestling people...I was trying to be too safe and I let the professionals handle the stuff and they are guys who don't understand wrestling. A professional pyrotechnic guy. They totally shit the bed. I ended up not paying them. It was like $100,000 they ended up refunding for all the expenses of the match. I ended up not paying for the (exploding) barbed wire deathmatch, which I shouldn't have. They screwed up royally. We put together something great. Kenny and Jon worked their asses off and all they had to do was set up the final explosion. This is because we used professional pyrotechnic people who are supposed to know. The next time we do this, and I will do it again because the match drew. Everything Jon and Kenny did up until that point was outstanding, it wasn't their fault it didn't go off. Long story short, it was a long time ago and we've bounced back since then. That was three months ago and everything has been pretty perfect and couldn't have gone much better. I was really grateful that the next pay-per-view was up and did a big number," he said.

:moneymark getting that refund though!

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
One thing that stood it to me:

I WAS TRYING TO BE TOO SAFE

Anyone else get the feeling he got massively paranoid after the Matt Hardy incident (understandable)

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Hope he doesn't think he has to do it again just to show up peeps that made fun of them on Twitter for it :lol

Necro

Hi, I'm Chucky. Wanna play?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
owenhart
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Tony needs to film that shit in Japan where the big boys play...... with explosives

Reactions: Alexa

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Yeah, man I don’t know about doing another one. :lol the match was fun up til the end, but I’m fine with other type of extreme matches that don’t rely on something having to go right

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Tony needs to film that shit in Japan where the big boys play...... with explosives

Yeah just wait until he can get actual japanese dudes to set it up proper with experts doing those types of matches and it could be cool tbh. I'm not against trying again if the lessons are learned.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Yeah let's just give it a few years because we don't need one of these every year and he damn sure doesn't need to do one just to show the smarks he can do it. :lol

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
Just call Onita and he will get his people. Problem solved and I mean, the match drew because of three things. One, everybody riding on Kenny and Jon, two, Jon's and Kenny's "rivalry", and three, it got the the deathmatch people's attention, like myself, who just wanted either man get exploded. As well as the promise that Onita was going to be there as well so that helped a bit. Also, if AEW is looking to do another one of these matches in the future just let the wrestlers go all out and let them use crazy ass weapons, and maybe then I will say something good about AEW.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Just call Onita and he will get his people. Problem solved and I mean, the match drew because of three things. One, everybody riding on Kenny and Jon, two, Jon's and Kenny's "rivalry", and three, it got the the deathmatch people's attention, like myself, who just wanted either man get exploded. As well as the promise that Onita was going to be there as well so that helped a bit. Also, if AEW is looking to do another one of these matches in the future just let the wrestlers go all out and let them use crazy ass weapons, and maybe then I will say something good about AEW.

It really sucked onita couldn't go but probably a blessing in disguise. Agree 100% get onita and his people to take care of all the hardware etc and just let 2 people go nuts. Maybe mox Eddie rematch

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexa

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
It really sucked onita couldn't go but probably a blessing in disguise. Agree 100% get onita and his people to take care of all the hardware etc and just let 2 people go nuts. Maybe mox Eddie rematch
Mox v Eddie would be fine since both wrestled in CZW and can work with one another well.

Reactions: Canadian Dragon