TNA UK Tour: 13th June Review!

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

gashface

Reaction score
As some of you may or may not know TNA is doing a tour at the moment in the UK, I went to the show last night in Liverpool, and I have to say this house show blew the WWE one I saw earlier this year completely out of the water. First of all let me just give you a vague description of the WWE house show I saw in Sheffield, boring, nothing really very interesting about it, samey, felt like they wernt even trying.. I came out feeling deflated and somewhat robbed.

I'll run through this bit by bit, so when we first arrived at the Liverpool Olympia and got in the queu, we were handed hanging tags advertising the Impact game to hang around our necks. (as was everybody at the event) T-shirts were handed out in many different sizes, and foam hands! This was brilliant, WWE never ever give away stuff... or to be fair they do, but you're talking 10-15 tshirts lobbed into a crowd of 15,000... hardly generous.

When we got inside and found our seats (very good view for the cheapest) we got right to the front, and was pleased to notice there was screens up to show footage during the event (WWE had not done this at their wrestlemania revenge tour, no screens at all)

First of all Jeremy Borash came out and announced that the loudest crowd members of the night would be handed backstage passes throughout the night (and they interrupted the show several times to do this, to those of you who think TNA do not deliver on such promises) The card was excellent, I'll do a brief review of each match.

Also a note: This wasd the rowdiest crowd I have ever been a part of, and perhaps have ever seen (apart from the old ECW crowds) They were chanting loudly through every match, they really appreciated what TNA was doing, and it felt like every wrestler that came out gave it their all to entertain the fans.

Sonjay Dutt and Petey Williams vs. Motor City Machine Guns
This was a brilliant opener, lots of spots.. they gave it their all, dives outside of the ring, double team moves! There was also a great moment were Sabin and Shelley, placed Sonjays head in Peteys crotch and put their foot on it, it was very funny. The best chant was "Sonjay Swallows" and he played off being a heel great. Petey did a sick Canadian Destroyer, but MCMG picked up the win.

Awesome Kong Vs. Gail Kim
A brilliant match, Gail did an awesome dive, and so did Kong! (Wow she is huge!) The fans got into this one just as much as the opener, shouting Let's go gail, let's go kong! For long quantities of the match. Kong picked up the win with an Awesome Bomb, but Gail left to a massive applause.
***1/2

LAX Vs. Robert Roode and James Storm
The crowd literally erupted for LAX, lots and lots of fans here in the UK. James Storm got a mixed response but everybody, and I mean everybody hated Roode. He got 'You can't wrestle' chants several times, much to my amusement. (Roode sucks!) This had some great spots, LAX pulled off great double teams, Hernandez (who is genuinly huge) pulled off a sick suicide dive on both Storm and Roode. TNA held nothing back thus far, the wrestlers were diving everywere throughout the night. Storm even busted his head open, and was seen to after the match. LAX picked up the win.
***1/2

AJ Styles Vs. Doug Williams Vs. Jay Lethal
Straight up awesome match again. AJ Styles got a massive pop, and the other two guys didn't do too bad themselves. There was a botched move between Doug and AJ, which got a nice 'you fucked up' chant haha.. but these guys just carried on, and we got some really neat spots. AJ got the Styles Clash to win. But all of these guys were deserving, they all shook hands afterwards and AJ announced that Doug Williams had signed a contract with TNA.
***1/2

Jeremy Borash then came out and told everybody he would be out with the Spike TV/Bravo camera after the intervall for a special piece that would be shown on TV. After the Interval none other than Dixie Carter came out and thanked all of the UK fans, announced that the UK was the first country in which TNA was able to beat the WWE in ratings. I'm not sure when this was but I do know that sometime in May Impact nearly drew with Smackdown - Impact got around 40,000 fans and Smackdown got 41,000. Bear in mind this is the UK, we're much smaller than the USA. She also said that the Liverpool Olympia would be featured in the Impact game, which will be released in the UK on September 2nd. She also said Jeff Jarrett was in the back and he might come out (he didn't) but the whole place erupted in a "We want jeff" and I'm sure he found it touching, though I don't hold it against him for not coming out with all hes been through. Dixie also said due to the success of this tour, TNA will definately be returning. (yey!)

Booker T Vs. Rhyno
Next we got this little treat, wrestling wise this wasn't good, but entertainment it was great. The whole place must have been psyched after Dixie's speech because a "Let's go booker, Let's go Rhyno" chant lasted as long as I have ever heard a chant go, they mostly just stood in complete amazement, as we all kept chanting equally for each guy for a good five minutes. They eventually started fighting, as we were all still chanting (it died down eventually) Some time in Booker T went to do his spin, he psyched himself up and then turned around and stuck a finger up. This was brilliant, this shows how great a heel this guy is. From having the whole arena cheering him for his pure legend status, suddenly the whole place hated him. The crowd then started with 'Fuck him up Rhyno, fuck him up" and We got a massive gore. Rhyno then took the piss out of Booker T by imitating his spin, this was by far the funniest moment of the night, but unfortunately when Booker T got back up, Rhyno missed the gore and Booker T got him with the kick for the win.
**1/2 (entertaining as hell though)

Next Kurt Angle came out, he seemed to be quite astounded by all of the chanting for him. And he actually looked a little teary hard to tell whetherit was genuine or not though. He then said that he was sorry he couldn't wrestle, said he had suffered another serious neck injury (oh dear) and he was contemplating not coming back due to the dangers. But after seeing the fans here tonight, sure as hell he was going to wrestle again! This really got the crowd pumped up. He then gave an amazing speech about how he came to TNA because of guys like Lethal, AJ, Petey etc. because TNA were doing what was best for the fans and not delivering the same "cookie coloured bullshit" like WWE. This mostly got cheers but I did detect a hint of booing.

Samoa Joe Vs. Abyss
Main event, the chants wernt quite as strong for Joe but the crowd was still rowdier than I've seen it in a long time for Joe on T.V. He got the 'Olai' chants, and did the signet run round the ring and slammed into Abyss who was seated on one of the Olympia's chairs. He even did a sick dive through the ropes at Abyss! After a fairly decent match (about ten minutes or so) Joe picked up the win, and got a thunderous applause.

Jeremy Borash came out and told nobody to go anywhere because the first four rows would be getting the TNA wrestlers comng round to sign autographs and get photo ops. As well as this there would be two tables situated at the back of the room, MCMG on one side and Gail Kim and Jay Lethal on the other. We queued up for MCMG and got autographs (they look pretty pissed off actually) I'm sure having pieces of paper and programmes jammed at you, as well as having camera flashes blared at your eyes every ten seconds.. gets' pretty annoying. Especially after wrestling what looked like a very tiring match. We tried to get to Gail Kim and Lethal, but just as we got to the front everybody had to leave, Still for £15 seats I got one hell of a night, and signatures! Would WWE ever do this? Never

I also saw James Storm briefly, who had stitches in his head from earlier in the night, he was nice enough to come around the guys not in the first four rows as well. I saw him talking to a couple of people and posing for photos.

TNA has restored my faith in wrestling, when you look at this product without the overbooking, it is brilliant. It is exciting, and it damn sure was TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION. Compared to WWE, TNA outstripped it's house show a thousand times in terms of quality, entertainment and really caring about it's fans. This is why I support TNA, believe in it, and want it to succeed. TNA CARES ABOUT OUR ENJOYMENT!

Brilliant night, I would love to relive if it again. I give this event 9/10. If this would've been on a PPV, they would've upped the last two events I suspect obvisously, as it was more based on impressing the inside crowd. But aside from that if this was on ppv, and ppvs were available to buy in the uk. I would've bought it. Yes the atmosphere made it as well, it was electric it was like old school ECW days.. but aside from that it as just great, great wrestling and extremely entertaining.

I'll post photos later.

chessarmy

I'm glad you enjoyed the show. I've heard that TNA house shows are amazing, I guess this proves it.

PeepShow

AJ and Doug Williams wrestling each other? Wow, AWESOME. And you got MCMG autographs? I will pay you money for those, honestly :eek:

But yeah, thanks for the review of the show. Looks really strong, and makes my excitement for the BFG event in October even more. Good stuff.

Soulpower

Quick question, Gashface. Did Doug Williams use the Chaos Theory? Here's the move.

[yt]RpxQEaggHi8[/yt]

All in all, this looked like a solid show (A theme in all TNA house shows, it seems). I hope they return to Puerto Rico in the future. I'd like to have a chance to see these guys go in the ring without being restricted due to commercials and whatnot.

JHar888

Reaction score
Dang, I read your entire review, and from what you said, it sounded like a pretty good show. Every match sounds pretty entertaining, and it sounds like all the fans had a pretty great time.

Nice review. :)

gashface

Reaction score
Yeah he did, it was sick as! Sorry forgot to mention that he used it. I was glad, because apparently on the 12th show he didn't.

MikeRaw

Wow, sounds like it was a good show... Im impressed that there wasnt one weak match on the card... And it seemed loaded with action, mustve been fun... The only thing that bugs me is, can they just do their own thing? As in, why do they always have to compare themselves with WWE when it just sounds stupid, mentioning the competition that is beating you in ratings... Theyd be better off if they just did their own thing, and kept putting on sweet matches, and working their way up the ladder. Thanks for the info about the show though.

gashface

Reaction score
Well technically that was only Kurt Angle, who always does it in interviews... and they're the underdog so ofcourse they're trying to put down the competition in a way. It wasn't like they did it the whole night. That was the only mention and as I said it got a mixed reaction. Though I personally agree with it.

As for the beating the ratings comment, Dixie didn't say WWE she said "our competition" which I assumed was WWE.

Qwake

Whoa thanks for the read!!!

sounds like it was a kickass show, I wish I had seen it. If only TNA were this good with Impact and PPV's lol.

gashface

Reaction score
Well I thought this past weeks Impact was very decent to be honest, probably best show of the year so far. Let's hope it lasts.