Thiago Alves vs. Chris Lytle II?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Who here would like to see a rematch between these two? They fought at UFC 78: Validation, with Alves taking the victory due to doctor's stoppage at the end of round 2 doe to a cut on the eyelid of Lytle. Like Lyle, Alves, as well as the thousands of fans in attendance watching the fight, thought that the stoppage was a bunch of bullshit. I would love to see these two lock horns again.

*Lytle's next fight will be against Carlos Condit at UFC 127
*Alves' next fight will be against John Howard at UFC 124

What say you, fellow MMA fans?

pumpt73

Reaction score
I will say this, if Lytle beats Condit he should be in line for a damn title shot. That would give him 5 wins in a row, with one coming against the former UFC 170lb champ, and 1 against the former WEC 170lb champ. Now this is all contingent on if he beats Condit. If he doesn't wrangle a title bout if he beats Condit, then if he runs a 6 fight win streak and beats both Condit and the winner of Howard vs. Alves, I don't see how he doesn't get a title shot. Alves is coming off 2 straight losses, but it's not like he lost to chumps. GSP and Fitch and his last win came over Koscheck. Lytle could definitely give Joe Silva something to think about if he beats Condit.

Reaction score
Now THAT is going to be an absolute war, Lytle vs. Condit. And it really sucks for me, being a HUGE fan of both of them. They're both incredibly well-rounded and as Condit proved against Dan Hardy and Lytle proved against Kyle Bradley, they've both got vicious KO power in their hands. I could actually see their jiu-jitsu being canceled out, as both of them are very good on the ground.

But back to the subject of this thread, I say if Alves beats Howard and Lytle beats Condit, Joe Silva should put them together for a rematch.

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
Only way I can see this happening is if condit decimates lytle standing. Alves most likely won't make weight and be sluggish from the cut. Rejuvinated Howard embarasses Alves cardio. Lytle gets picked apart. Then ya book the rematch if alves still has a job

pumpt73

Reaction score
I don't think Alves will have much problem losing the weight. He's done it before. Plus the only time you're really sluggish from weight cuts is when you've overdieted. Alves knows what to do to make 170. It's all speculation right now. To be honest, a third straight loss at 170 would likely see Alves move to 185. It's not like he's lost to cans in his last 2. Both decision losses to the number 1 and number 2 at the weight. Howard is almost in a must win. Coming off of a loss to Jake Ellenberger. His biggest win is his KO of Dennis Hallman, unless you count his Split decision against Tamdan McRory. This fight is a step up in competition for Howard. However, Lytle has been in the cage with quite a few at the top of his weight and done fairly well. The Lytle vs. Condit bout has Fight of the Night written all over it.

Colin Gimp

Reaction score
Ever since he recovered from that freak brain problem alves has been terrible. His past two fights have been catchweight bouts because he couldn't cut weight like he use to. After that crazy fight of the night howard stumbled his monmentum and is being given a chance to come back in high fashion against a alves who hasnt shown any improvement from his gsp fight. howard should be able to stop him late first round if he's anything like that fight of the night indicated. Or alves has gotten his poop in a group and stalls howard and keep his job. Their is a three strike rule in the ufc or in was stoppage machine george harris's case one bad fight and you lose your job. And this would put howard in alves situation with two strikes . This fight is about being a legit finisher or else

pumpt73

Reaction score
Good points CW. I just don't see Alves going anywhere. Dana and Joe Silva have stated that they would like to see him head to 185, which would be a lot easier on Alves. The kid has as much muscle as you can put on his frame when he makes 170. Howard needs a more notable win, though with the way Hallman has been doing, a rematch may be in order. Honestly, this should be pretty fun to watch play out.