Theories of reality show TV

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Paul Diaz-Berrio

The Artiste
Reaction score
In my opinion, the reality show is a way for people who take part in it to be granted more security in their private lives than they would if people didn't know what was going on in them. Even if the segments are recreations of what's already happened, they allow us to watch what they go through and not much escapes our attention. I can think of a number of possible reasons for why they do this.

One could be the actual danger they are in without the cameras to record what they do. A lot can happen behind closed doors that we can't prevent because we don't see it. If we did, as we do now thanks to the cameras, less shit is likely to go down. I know for a fact that what is left unchecked behind the scenes can lead to tragedy. It did it Tamara Sytch's case. Read her bio and you'll see what I'm talking about. I've read 90% of it and I can tell you for sure that if her last partner hadn't had so much liberty, he'd never have gotten away with the kind of abuse he did. I'll let you find out for yourselves, but suffice to say, he should've been punished for what he did and he wasn't.

So, maybe in today's age, where there is domestic violence of shocking proportions, reality television might be necessary.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Reality TV is scripted and planned out. It is just a lot more passive and forgiving so it comes off as "real" but it isn't. People on these shows are told to act out and emphasize certain personality traits they may or may not have. The loose script allows people to improvise and say things on the fly according to how they want their "character" to be viewed.

I was never a fan of reality TV myself. I just don't see the appeal in it.

Reactions: Paul Diaz-Berrio

Paul Diaz-Berrio

The Artiste
Reaction score
Reality TV is scripted and planned out. It is just a lot more passive and forgiving so it comes off as "real" but it isn't. People on these shows are told to act out and emphasize certain personality traits they may or may not have. The loose script allows people to improvise and say things on the fly according to how they want their "character" to be viewed.

I was never a fan of reality TV myself. I just don't see the appeal in it.

I feel you. I was under the false impression that reality TV recreated what has happened. Taking this into account, I would like to understand why reality show is set up and only allowed to reflect real life events to a certain degree.