The WWF ruined Lex Luger as a main event player

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Seafort

Jobber
Reaction score
From his debut in Jim Crockett Promotions in 1987 he was a unique individual. Not burdened with a goofy or fantastic gimmick, Luger was presented in a straightforward fashion - a dominant athlete with the size and physique of Hulk Hogan (and later Ultimate Warrior) and the intensity of Paul Orndorff.

By 1988 Luger was a main event player, but Ric Flair ultimately refused to drop the belt to him and a major push was squandered. In 1989 Luger turned heel. He was still basically the same character, but was now the hyper athlete who had grown arrogant over his own pre-eminence over the rest of the roster. Basically a Terrell Owens or Tom Brady dialed up to 11, with no filter. It was realistic, and again not over the top.

Eventually Luger would be transitioned back to a face after Sting was injured, but in 1991 would move back to the hyper-arrogant alpha athlete character.

Portrayed as such, Luger was consistently in the main event scene from 1988 to 1992. Following Flair's departure, Luger was moved into the number one slot in the company and along with Sting was considered the foundational piece for the rebuild of the company. However by the fall of 1991 Luger became disinterested with the direction under Jim Herd. He briefly quit in protest after manager Harley Race was let go, then agreed to return when Race's termination was cancelled. But in January 1992 Luger agreed to a contract with the World Bodybuilding Federation, which as a non-wrestling entity allowed him to leave WCW a year before his contract was to expire.

And so Luger goes to the WBF. For probably the last time he was portrayed in a manner that played to his strengths, as his initial WBF interview at WrestleMania VIII. Here, for the final time Lex was the arrogant hyper-athlete, unencumbered by any further gimmick.

Shortly afterwards Luger was in his motorcycle accident, and months later the WBF was shut down. In January 1993 Bobby Heenan announced that "Narcissus" was coming to the WWF to eliminate Mr Perfect, and at The Royal Rumble we saw a needless repackaging of Lex Luger into a cartoonish gimmick of a man who was not arrogant because he was better than everyone else, but a man who was IN LOVE WITH HIMSELF.

Luger was a upper card performer, but too new to pull the trigger on for a main event run. He would lose to Tatanka and Bret Hart on house shows, before necessity led to a change in direction by the WWF. Hulk Hogan and the WWF had parted ways, and Vince McMahon felt that Luger would make the perfect replacement. But it would not be as the non-gimmicked Lex Luger of WCW that had been so successful. It would be as the hyper-patriotric, over the top "Made in the USA" Lex Luger. A gimmick that played to none of Luger's strengths and to all of his weaknesses.

Still, with the entirety of the still-capable WWF promotional machine behind him, Luger entered SummerSlam 93 with a wave of new-found popularity. However the decision not to let him leave as champion and to wait until WrestleMania X had a profound effect on the character. Luger could not sustain himself and petered out. The difference in reaction between the two shows is revealing.

Following the show the WWF put Luger on the backburner a bit and shuttled him off to a feud with Tatanka, with little adjustment in the character.

Going into 1995 Luger's contact was set to expire, and without a new deal on the table the WWF moved him further out of the limelight and placed him into a placeholder tag-team with Davey Boy Smith. For months he worked without a new deal in place.

Although Luger may have received a renewed singles push had he re-signed with the company - and likely as a heel challenger to Bret Hart or Shawn Michaels - the momentum that he had entering the company as one of the three top WCW wrestlers of the 80s had long been squandered.

When Luger returned to WCW, it was not as a main-event level player. The former dominant World Champion would lose to Meng within a month of returning, and would soon be trading the TV Championship with Johnny B Badd.

It was two years before Luger had been somewhat rebuilt. Ultimately he would never be the focus point of the company, and it can be attributed to the WWF's decision to take something that was basically working perfectly, tinker with it, and ultimately ruin it.

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
Lex was actually over with the crowd. At the time he was kind of a big deal and I remember him as the narcissist. Luger was over and he was getting pops from the fans.

Lex sucking is kinda a popular kick around on the internet with the smarks.

But he was a juiced up steroid junkie and VInce was looking at hard time so the push was transferred to Bret Hart and later Sean Michael's, Jeff Jarrets dad IIRC was to be Vince's successor in case he went to jail. That is the difference between 1993 and 1994 Lex. Most stars of the 80's were quietly pushed t the side lead to the rise of WCW Monday Night Wars as Macho Man for example was still popular along with Hogan.

Hogan pooed the bed in 1991 on the Arsenio Hall show. I suppose they tried to clone Hogan with Luger who was not as charismatic or as good on the mic. He was probably slightly better than Hogan in ring (eventually).

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread and I commend you for it, but I can't say I agree with your assessment.

First, when Flair refused to drop the title to Luger, that occurred in 1991, not 1988. I've never heard nor read anything that indicated that the NWA wanted Flair to drop the belt to Luger in their first feud. At the time, Flair was still the biggest draw in the NWA. However, in 1991, it is pretty much confirmed that Flair refused to drop the title to Luger. However, this had nothing to do with it being Lex Luger. Flair also refused to drop the title to Barry Windham. This had everything to do with the fact that Flair and WCW president Jim Herd hated each other's guts.

Jim Herd's WCW was completely incompetent and directionless, so we can't really blame Luger for losing interest in leaving.

You referred to Luger as a "former dominant World Champion," but he really wasn't. He beat Barry Windham in a tournament for the title in July and his next big challenge was Ron Simmons at Halloween Havoc in October. He then defended the title against Rick Steiner, for some reason, at Clash of the Champions on November 1991 and then did not wrestle a single other match until SuperBrawl II on February 29, 1992... a full three months after his last title defense. He lost that match and the title to Sting. So he was champion for 7 months, didn't wrestle three out of those seven months and only had two main title defenses, against Ron Simmons and Rick Steiner. I don't think that qualifies him as a dominant champion. It's pretty mediocre.

In regards to the WWF situation, Luger faced a bit of crap from Bret Hart and Hulk Hogan, who both SUPPOSEDLY convinced Vince to drop the Narcissist gimmick. So instead, WWF did saddle him with the lame All American gimmick and I agree with you completely that it was the wrong gimmick for Luger. He has stated over and over how uncomfortable it made him and it was obvious actually watching him play it. it's pretty well known that politics played a hand in Luger not winning the belt at Summerslam 1993. I, in fact, was 18 at the time and was pretty shocked when Luger didn't win... although I was happy because I didn't feel he was ready for it. But in regards to WrestleMania, according to Luger himself, there were never plans to put the belt on him at all and he knew that months in advance. So, the WWF wasn't really waiting until WrestleMania to put the belt on him. They weren't really intending to at all.

However, I think it's wrong to claim that the WWF ruined Luger. Luger left WWF and made an AMAZING appearance on the first WCW Nitro. It was pretty shocking then and he made a big impact. Yes, it seemed odd when he joined the Dungeon of Doom right away. However, he returned in August 1995 and was in a number one contenders match at Starrcade, although he did lose it, so did Sting. He also was in the main event of the Great American Bash against the Giant for the WCW World Championship in June 1996. So he was one match from the main event of Starrcade and headlined the Bash within a year of his return. So it's not right to say that he wasn't treated as a main event player right away, because he was in two major main events. Then, when the NWO came along and Sting began the ambiguous stage of his Crow character, Luger was constantly one of the top babyfaces in the company. He went on to defeat Hulk Hogan for the WCW World Title on Nitro, an achievement that netted him monumental popularity and the PWI Wrestler of the Year award. However, Hogan won the belt back quickly and Luger was taken out of the main event and put into feuds with Scott Hall, Buff Bagwell and Scott Steiner before eventually joining NWO WolfPac. He was injured, came back and changed his name to "The Total Package" and was involved in a bunch of stupid feuds until WCW folded.

So, in my view, WWF definitely did not ruin Lex Luger. Luger obviously still had success and the potential for more success when he left for WCW. He had several high impact moments that were capable of building momentum for him. If he was ruined by this point, I doubt he would have been the first guy in WCW to cleanly beat Hulk Hogan for the world title. It was Eric Bischoff and the others that ran WCW that ruined him. He was still capable and popular enough to be a main event player after his WWF run. WCW just didn't let him.

Although I disagree with your statement about the WWF, I do think this was a good post and a good argument. :)

Last edited:

Seafort

Jobber
Reaction score
This is an interesting thread and I commend you for it, but I can't say I agree with your assessment.

First, when Flair refused to drop the title to Luger, that occurred in 1991, not 1988. I've never heard nor read anything that indicated that the NWA wanted Flair to drop the belt to Luger in their first feud. At the time, Flair was still the biggest draw in the NWA. However, in 1991, it is pretty much confirmed that Flair refused to drop the title to Luger. However, this had nothing to do with it being Lex Luger. Flair also refused to drop the title to Barry Windham. This had everything to do with the fact that Flair and WCW president Jim Herd hated each other's guts.

Jim Herd's WCW was completely incompetent and directionless, so we can't really blame Luger for losing interest in leaving.

You referred to Luger as a "former dominant World Champion," but he really wasn't. He beat Barry Windham in a tournament for the title in July and his next big challenge was Ron Simmons at Halloween Havoc in October. He then defended the title against Rick Steiner, for some reason, at Clash of the Champions on November 1991 and then did not wrestle a single other match until SuperBrawl II on February 29, 1992... a full three months after his last title defense. He lost that match and the title to Sting. So he was champion for 7 months, didn't wrestle three out of those seven months and only had two main title defenses, against Ron Simmons and Rick Steiner. I don't think that qualifies him as a dominant champion. It's pretty mediocre.

In regards to the WWF situation, Luger faced a bit of crap from Bret Hart and Hulk Hogan, who both SUPPOSEDLY convinced Vince to drop the Narcissist gimmick. So instead, WWF did saddle him with the lame All American gimmick and I agree with you completely that it was the wrong gimmick for Luger. He has stated over and over how uncomfortable it made him and it was obvious actually watching him play it. it's pretty well known that politics played a hand in Luger not winning the belt at Summerslam 1993. I, in fact, was 18 at the time and was pretty shocked when Luger didn't win... although I was happy because I didn't feel he was ready for it. But in regards to WrestleMania, according to Luger himself, there were never plans to put the belt on him at all and he knew that months in advance. So, the WWF wasn't really waiting until WrestleMania to put the belt on him. They weren't really intending to at all.

However, I think it's wrong to claim that the WWF ruined Luger. Luger left WWF and made an AMAZING appearance on the first WCW Nitro. It was pretty shocking then and he made a big impact. However, Eric Bischoff immediately squandered this by putting him in the Dungeon of Doom. Then, when the NWO came along and Sting began the ambiguous stage of his Crow character, Luger was constantly one of the top babyfaces in the company. He went on to defeat Hulk Hogan for the WCW World Title on Nitro, an achievement that netted him monumental popularity and the PWI Wrestler of the Year award. However, Hogan won the belt back quickly and Luger was taken out of the main event and put into feuds with Scott Hall, Buff Bagwell and Scott Steiner before eventually joining NWO WolfPac. He was injured, came back and changed his name to "The Total Package" and was involved in a bunch of stupid feuds until WCW folded.

So, in my view, WWF definitely did not ruin Lex Luger. Luger obviously still had success and the potential for more success when he left for WCW. He had several high impact moments that were capable of building momentum for him. If he was ruined by this point, I doubt he would have been the first guy in WCW to cleanly beat Hulk Hogan for the world title. It was Eric Bischoff and the others that ran WCW that ruined him. He was still capable and popular enough to be a main event player after his WWF run. WCW just didn't let him.

Although I disagree with your statement about the WWF, I do think this was a good post and a good argument. :)

Great response!

A few counters:

Ric Flair may have refused to drop the belt to Luger at Starrcade 88. I'm not certain why, although it may have been a political move due to the recent change in ownership to Turner.

Five Reasons You Cannot Blame Jim Herd for Firing Ric Flair

In some respects you're right about the "dominant world champion". His title reign was relatively short and he was inactive for the last two months of it due to having met his contracted dates. His only feud was with Ron Simmons. But I would say that his portrayal as a heel champion was much closer to a 2000-era HHH as opposed to 2014 Seth Rollins or 1990 heel-version Ric Flair.

As for his time in the WWE, I was around your age and I too was shocked that he did not win. I got a PW Torch subscription for the first time shortly thereafter and read that the plan was for Vince to hold off until WrestleMania X for the victory, but apparently at some point changed his mind. I find the revisionist stories that Luger was NEVER supposed to win the title, or that Vince backed off because of locker room protests in August 1993 to be a bit unrealistic. WWE was putting all of their eggs in one basket with Luger. He was supposed to be the cornerstone of the company much as Roman Reigns was to be the Face of the Company. However I think that the timing of the change of heart was when the indictment came down in November 1993. WWE could not have a 6'5" muscular world champion when facing a steroid trial, even if Luger was clean.

Yes, the Nitro moment was amazing. Just like when Warrior showed up three years later. But it was a matter of followthrough. Within a month Luger was being fed to Meng - who despite his real life reputation was not a main eventer at the time - and within three months had been cast into the Dungeon of Doom alongside The Shark, The Giant, The Leprechaun, Kamala, and the Yet-tah. Luger was not treated on the same level as he was in February 1992 - and that is for two reasons

1) Luger had rubbed Bischoff the wrong way in 1991, and he had little use for him in 1995. He was brought back as a favor to Sting, because there was a salary slot that opened due to Vader's dismissal, and it was a chance to hurt the WWF. And literally, it was in that order of importance. Lex would have to prove himself to Eric before WCW would commit to him long term, which he did.

2) Luger was not a main eventer in 1995. Although still heavily, heavily protected, he was merely a tag-team wrestler when he left for WCW. If Lex's contract had expired in March 1994 as opposed to March 1995 (he worked for months without a deal for Vince), Eric would probably have made a bigger effort and given him a bigger push if he had been able to bring him in.

Reactions: Jacob Fox

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Great response!

A few counters:

Ric Flair may have refused to drop the belt to Luger at Starrcade 88. I'm not certain why, although it may have been a political move due to the recent change in ownership to Turner.

Five Reasons You Cannot Blame Jim Herd for Firing Ric Flair

In some respects you're right about the "dominant world champion". His title reign was relatively short and he was inactive for the last two months of it due to having met his contracted dates. His only feud was with Ron Simmons. But I would say that his portrayal as a heel champion was much closer to a 2000-era HHH as opposed to 2014 Seth Rollins or 1990 heel-version Ric Flair.

As for his time in the WWE, I was around your age and I too was shocked that he did not win. I got a PW Torch subscription for the first time shortly thereafter and read that the plan was for Vince to hold off until WrestleMania X for the victory, but apparently at some point changed his mind. I find the revisionist stories that Luger was NEVER supposed to win the title, or that Vince backed off because of locker room protests in August 1993 to be a bit unrealistic. WWE was putting all of their eggs in one basket with Luger. He was supposed to be the cornerstone of the company much as Roman Reigns was to be the Face of the Company. However I think that the timing of the change of heart was when the indictment came down in November 1993. WWE could not have a 6'5" muscular world champion when facing a steroid trial, even if Luger was clean.

Yes, the Nitro moment was amazing. Just like when Warrior showed up three years later. But it was a matter of followthrough. Within a month Luger was being fed to Meng - who despite his real life reputation was not a main eventer at the time - and within three months had been cast into the Dungeon of Doom alongside The Shark, The Giant, The Leprechaun, Kamala, and the Yet-tah. Luger was not treated on the same level as he was in February 1992 - and that is for two reasons

1) Luger had rubbed Bischoff the wrong way in 1991, and he had little use for him in 1995. He was brought back as a favor to Sting, because there was a salary slot that opened due to Vader's dismissal, and it was a chance to hurt the WWF. And literally, it was in that order of importance. Lex would have to prove himself to Eric before WCW would commit to him long term, which he did.

2) Luger was not a main eventer in 1995. Although still heavily, heavily protected, he was merely a tag-team wrestler when he left for WCW. If Lex's contract had expired in March 1994 as opposed to March 1995 (he worked for months without a deal for Vince), Eric would probably have made a bigger effort and given him a bigger push if he had been able to bring him in.

A lot of it depends on perspective. Flair didn't drop the title to Luger at Starrcade, but it's speculation to say it was Flair's refusal as to why it was not dropped. Unless one of the people involved comment on this, and no one seems to, we can assume it the company's decision and not Flair's.

In regards to the politics in WWF, I took every word of it from Luger's own mouth. Knowing the type of people Bret Hart and Hulk Hogan are playing politics so often, I tend to think we can take Luger's word that he's telling the truth. (LEX LUGER REVEALS WHY HE DIDN'T WIN THE WWF TITLE AT WRESTLEMANIA 10, SQUASHES CRAZY INTERNET RUMORS, TALKS ABOUT HOW ERIK WATTS WANTED TO BEAT HIM UP, AND MORE | PWInsider.com)

My argument is simply that it was WCW and Bischoff who ruined him, not WWF. In fact, your response supports this because you mention how Bischoff didn't care for Luger. And you even make the point that Luger had to prove himself to Bischoff and you confirm that he did. If the WWF really ruined Luger, than technically he had no chance after he left the WWF. But it's clear that had he been handled by someone other than Bischoff, he probably would have. As these things both occurred after Luger left the WWF, and it was Bischoff who squandered his return and main event potential, it was Bischoff who ruined Luger.

And I know Luger wasn't a main eventer in WWF in 1995. Basically his main event potential within the company ended at WrestleMania 10. But if you look at his first year back in WCW, although it was not great, it was much better than his last year in WWF. This further shows that had WCW used him better, he could have still had a great main eventing career.

So Luger could have been a constant main event player if Bischoff used him correctly. He got a lot of fan response from that Nitro appearance and he had the momentum if it was used correctly. He was in the number one contenders match with Ric Flair and Sting at Starrcade, the company's biggest show of the year a mere four months after his return in 1995. And he was in the main event of the Great American Bash the following summer. So yes, there was opportunity for Luger to be a main eventer if Bischoff were to use him correctly. And it's because he still had that potential and that momentum that shows that it was Eric Bischoff who ruined Luger, not WWF.

Anyway, good argument again. It gave me something interesting to focus on and I appreciate that. I hope you'll post some other great posts like this :)

WarMachine1

Bringing the Internet Pain
Reaction score
I think Lex's push not going well is justified and I don't think many people realize but Lex was a huge asshole behind the scenes.

Legends of Wrestling (They talk about Lex from 6:22 - 13:36)

I mean yeah, he didn't do anything horrible like hazing rookies or committing any huge locker room sin, but he was just arrogant and self-entitled and the wrestlers just wouldn't put up with it. He was no Hogan or HBK, so it's understandable why his push in both his first run in WCW and in WWE was cut because of his attitude.

And him having the finger pointed at him over the death of Elizabeth doesn't help either.

Last edited:

Koko B.

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Great write up.

I'm surprised no one has said, Lex Luger ruined Lex Luger