The Wrestling World Has Changed: A 2001 WWF / WCW / ECW Story

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Daddy Deville

Big D Energy
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Tuesday, Week 2, May 2001

Free Agent News:

View attachment 4137
Terry Funk has signed an official contract with ECW, on a Pay-Per-Appearance deal. The former ECW World Heavyweight Champion and legend of the professional wrestling business made it known today his intention to work for the company that gave him a resurgence for his career.

Developmental News:

View attachment 4136
WWF has officially signed Nigel McGuinness to a developmental contract, giving them full control over his booking should he be lent out to ECW or WCW.

Good shit on Funker to ECW glad I got Nigel.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
I haven't fully read your show yet. Just commenting on your point about ratings. Which duh if you overbook it.

You want to build stuff like this to PPV, but honestly do what you want.

The only stuff that truly bothers me is when you want to push people too early. Like those indy guys that should be in OVW rn.

The ratings do show that at least, Dinsmore/Cade segment was rated low.

Reactions: Kross Rhodes

Daddy Deville

Big D Energy
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
The ratings do show that at least, Dinsmore/Cade segment was rated low.

I mean you need jobbers to help establish stars and that what I am doing. Doug Williams for what its worth has been wrestling since 1993 Low Ki wrestled for WWF Jakked & Metal back in the day as well. I don't understand what the problem is with me trying to book the best possible show every week.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I mean you need jobbers to help establish stars and that what I am doing. Doug Williams for what its worth has been wrestling since 1993 Low Ki wrestled for WWF Jakked & Metal back in the day as well. I don't understand what the problem is with me trying to book the best possible show every week.
Low Ki was on Jakked as a local job guy. It's just too early to use guys that aren't mainstreams stars for another year or two.

You have a full roster of guys that are stars right now. You don't see me putting Samoa Joe and CM Punk on TV.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
I'm gonna start reviewing this show a segment at a time because that's my attention span.

The Undertaker 2k1alt.jpg

The show opens up with a very pissed off Undertaker walking down the hall muttering loudly about Goldberg. He busts down the office to Vince McMahon to find...

Vince McMahon 6.jpg
Steve Austin 99.jpg

Vince McMahon and Steve Austin conversing. Austin walks right up to Taker saying that they're busy and to come back later, sniggering about Taker losing his match last week. Taker responds by reminding Austin that he was also laid out on that mat with him. Vince breaks it up by telling Austin to go get ready for his match tonight and asks Taker what's up. Taker grabs Vince by the collar and demands to know where Goldberg is. Vince calmly says that Goldberg isn't here... yet. He'll be here to sign a contract. Taker lets Vince go and goes out to the parking lot to wait for Goldberg.

Rating: 79
I like that you haven't abandoned the Austin/Vince relationship yet. My only question is is Taker over his beef with Austin?

Good setup for something with Goldberg later in the night, however.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Buff Bagwell.jpg
Val Venis.jpg
w/
Sunny 11.jpg
vs.
Scott Norton.jpg
Lance Cade 2k1.jpg

Buff Bagwell & Val Venis w/ Sunny vs. Scott Norton & Lance Cade

In an below average match, Bagwell & Venis defeated Scott Norton & Lance Cade in 5:25.

Buff and Val seem like an odd pairing considering who Buff usually works with, but I can see the potential.

Having Scott comeback for this is interesting consider he teamed with Buff. Any possible story there?
Rating: 53
Vince McMahon 6.jpg

Vince McMahon stands in the ring and introduces the WWF to the next big thing, he promises.

Mark Henry 6.jpg

Out comes Mark Henry. Vince hypes up Mark Henry as soon to be the most dominant athlete in the world of Sports Entertainment and wants to make everyone know he means business.
I can really be about this if this is the start of the Hall of Pain.

Rating: 58
Dean Malenko 2k.jpg
vs.
Stevie Richards RTC.jpg

Dean Malenko vs. Steven Richards

In an extremely short match, Dean Malenko decimated and beat Steven Richards in 5:23.

Rating: 62
This should be a quirky fun match. What is Steven doing these days? The rest of the gang abandoned ROTC? Is Steven still uptight?

1589128875674.png

After suffering another loss, Steven Richards gets up, but before he can leave the ring he spots a familiar face on the stage.

Raven 2k1.jpg

Raven stands at the top of the ramp with a microphone in hand and declares for Steven to come back home, by his side, where the truth and safety of victory hides. Only then will Stevie Richards truly be complete as a man. Richards is hesitant to reply or even listen to Raven.

Rating: 63
So this is the resultion of the Stevie character? Aboandon his ROTC ways sicne his team abaondoed him and to comeback to Raven?

I like it if that's where this is going. Though, I think I'd like Steven to reject it and become a baby here.​

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Chyna 3.jpg

Chyna is in the ring (lacking the WWF Women's Championship after losing it on Thunder), talking about her appearance on the recent Playboy magazine and showing off some of her lingerie when down the ramp comes...

Scott Steiner 6.jpg

Steiner climbs into the ring and starts schmoozing up with Chyna, asking her all about the Playboy magazine and if she's ever been with a real man like Scott Steiner. Chyna decides to stick around to see Steiner's match and head over to the commentary desk.

Rating: 63
1589129318499.png
vs.
Steven Regal 8.jpg

Scott Steiner vs. William Regal

In a short but exciting match, Scott Steiner defeated William Regal in 4:58 via Count-Out. During the match, we hear Chyna talking about Steiner positively and says she has ideas regarding him.

Rating: 71

Kane 9.jpg
1589129463313.png

Out comes Kane, looking for revenge against William Regal after stealing the Intercontinental Championship last week on RAW. Regal stands in the ring ready to fight the Big Red Machine, but when Kane gets on the apron, Regal flees into the crowd, making his escape to live another day.

Rating: 68

Scott Steiner 6.jpg
1589129614480.png

During all of this, Scott Steiner eyes Chyna as she's heading to the back and he follows her.

Rating: 68
Really going strong on this Chyna/Steiner meetcute. I take it the intention is for Stiner to upgrade his freak to a ninth wonder?

This could be a fun and comedic angle, though, I think Chyna should have reservations. Her angle with Eddie is still recent-ish.

Regal and Kane could be a decent brawling affair if drawn on long enough. Time for Regal to invent the power of the punch?

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Hulk Hogan 97.jpg

Backstage we see Hulk Hogan with a mic, and he proceeds to cut a visceral promo on Diamond Dallas Page. He says that although he may have fancied himself the People's Champion of WCW, he could never beat the stop stars like Hogan, Nash, Hall, and Sting when it mattered. Furthermore, Hogan declares that he was the real star of WCW, and is about to say a whole lot more when suddenly-

Chris Jericho 2k1.jpg

In comes Chris Jericho. Jericho snickers and tells Hogan that Jericho was there when Hogan was on WCW too, and that he saw things differently. He tells Hogan that *he* killed WCW, flat out; he then tells Hogan that he's not the big star he used to be, which aggravates Hogan. Jericho walks off, leaving Hogan stewing in anger.

Rating: 89

1589130303957.png
vs.
Goldust 3.jpg

Chris Jericho vs. Goldust

In a very good match, Jericho defeats Goldust in 8:05 with the Lion Tamer. During the match, Jerry Lawler, JR, and Bobby Heenan discuss Jericho's interruption of Hollywood Hogan, wondering what he's doing pissing off the biggest star in wrestling history.

Rating: 74

1589130441238.png

After the match, Jericho gets on the mic and declares that he's entering the King of The Ring tournament and that it doesn't matter who he faces, he'll run right through all of them. It could be William Regal, but the man he wants to face most in that tournament is a man who also has never won King of the Ring, the so-called "greatest" professional wrestler alive, Hulk Hogan. He's hoping that Hogan enters the tournament so he can kick his ass and get him to SHUT. THE HELL. UP. Then once Chris Jericho wins King of the Ring, things will NEVER. EEEEEEEEEVERRRRRR. BE THE SAME. AGAIN.

Rating: 88
I very much enjoying the build to the DDP match here and I'm glad to see Jericho call Hogan out on his shit. Hogan ain't no King.

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
The Blaze Effect

Brandon Blaze

Alright, so Raw just happened, and we're about to run this shit DOWN for you right now. First off, I just want to say Raw's new theme song, top notch. Love that shit, they made such a great choice with that. So let's hope theme song ain't the best part of the show shall we? Let's get int things..

Alright, so after that little intro, we see Undertaker walking down the hall, clearly pissed about what happened last week with Goldberg, as he burst into Vince's office and finds Austin and Vince talking. Austin and Taker throw some jabs at each other, these two looking very heated and at this point I was thinking they was going to brawl in the office. But Vince stopped him and told Austin to get ready for tonight. Then boy I thought Vince was about to get it, but he was able to calm down Undertaker by letting him know that Goldberg isn't here yet, but he will be later tonight. Which Taker then leaves the office. Pretty good opener to keep things HOT from week. Fans seemed into it as well, so that's always a plus.

Buff Bagwell & Val Venis w/ Sunny vs. Scott Norton & Lance Cade

In a match that never should have happened, Buff and Val pick up the W over Scott and Lance. The fans really wasn't into this match, and I don't know if it's because it only last like five minutes, or if it just was horrible, but really just doesn't seem like a match you want t have. But at least it went on early in the night, giving them time to save the show.

After that, we have Vince in the ring, he pretty much said he has found the next big thing in wrestling, and out comes Mark Henry, who is clearly back from OVW after being down there for a bit. Hopefully he's improved a little from when he was first on the roster. Crowd seemed like to give him a mixed reaction, some happy to see him, some not so much, and even some don't seem to give a damn as well. Only time will tell how his career will be now, and if he really will be the next big thing.

Dean Malenko vs. Steven Richards

Well this kind of hurts the arugment earlier that the fans weren't into the Buff/Val vs Scott/Lance match for being short, as this one was short as well, and honestly they seemed a lot more into it. They both seemed to do a great job at keeping the fans interested, even for a quick little match between the two. Dean Malenko getting in really most of the offense but Richards selling of the beat down really sold it for the fans. Now after that match. we see Raven standing on the stage, and tells Stevie to come home, saying joining him is the only thing that will happen him and he needs to do it now. But he doesn't seem to want to take the time to listen to him. Good stuff here, I look forward to seeing where this goes with the two.

Alright so then next on the list of things we see Chyna in the ring, talking about her Playboy Magazine, not even seeming to want to talk about her lost the other night at Thunder. After showing off a bit, we get Scott Steiner coming out. so I already knew this was about to be golden. Boy was I right. He hits on her, ask her about being with a real man which gets her to stay to watch his match......and then....he wins by countout against William Regal. Chyna does talk Scott Steiner up, and seems to have some ideas. I'm hoping so, because I need more of these two together. This seems like a pairing that can knock it out of the park. After wards, The Big Bad Booty Daddy follows her to the back, and well I guess we'll find out soon enough what happens with them two.

Randy Orton & Mark Jindrak w/ Debra vs. Nick Dinsmore & Rodney Mack

After some great stuff, we're back to having a horrible horrible match, like just wow. I was glad it was over. That's all I'm going to say. Orton & Jindrak won, that's all that you need to know.

Now, we get Hogan and talks about DDP, bringing up WCW and how DDP called himself the People's Champion but list off the people he couldn't even beat when it mattered. He even said he was the real star of WCW, but then Jericho came out. Talked about being their when Hogan was, and even goes as far as blaming Hogan for WCW dying. Who knew that Hogan was the one who had the AOL/Time Warner Merger happen, that bastard. But this pisses off Hogan as Jericho leaves and Hogan is left standing there very very pissed off. Good stuff, could be a good feud if this happens.

No idea why Jericho left, as he had a match up next with Goldust, which was pretty good, they really got the crowd into it. Some good stuff with King, Jim Ross, and Bobby Heenan talking about what just happened with Jericho and Hogan, helping build that up. Jerchio can be made into a million bucks if this story is booked right. Afterwards, Jericho enters himself into The King of the Ring. He doesn't care who he has to beat, but he hopes to get his hands on Hogan to get him to SHUT THE HELL UP! and promises things will never be the same.......AGAIN! so good shit good shit.

So it seems The Filthy Animals, Konnan and Rey Mysterio are coming soon, the fans couldn't seem to give one single fuck about it, but I'm interested in seeing what they can do once they arrive. So I'll hold off some judgement for now.

Ric Flair w/ David Flair vs. Fit Finlay

Thank GOD that David isn't in this match, because it actually pretty good. Flair picked up a good win here, while Jim Ross thinks this team can be the team of the future, while Bobby Heenan throws out facts that David is holding Ric back. I really really hope they are going somewhere good with this.

We see Austin getting ready for his match that's coming up here rather soon, fans giving a nice little pop when he's seen which comes as no surprise. He's one of the most over guys in the business right now.

Diamond Dallas Page vs. Hollywood Hogan

Talk about giving away a big match on free TV. But in a shocking turn of events, DDP was able to beat and pin Hulk Hogan, which I did NOT see coming, but i got to say it was a nice surprise. Hogan clearly thrown off by the comments Jericho made earlier. Good stuff, but would've saved this match for a PPV, or at least not have it have a winner. Afterwards. DDP says he's going to walk in to King of the Ring as a challenger, but walk out as the CHAMP and make Austin FEEL THE BANG! So that should be good, hoping to see how far they are willing to push DDP.

Now we hype up Austin vs Perfect, which is another pretty huge match but, at least I feel this one is worthy of TV. These two probably had the match of the night, really stole the show with some great action. Perfect even almost pulled off the shock win, but in the end Austin got the W and his hand raised. Both he and DDP looking strong on their build towards King of the Ring. Afterwards. Austin cuts a promo on DDP, building up their match a bit more. These two really are about to tear the house down. Stunner vs Diamond Cutter, damn I'm ready.

Raw then ends with a nice brawl with Undertaker and Goldberg which saw Undertaker jump on Goldberg the second he got out of the limo, these to brawl and have to be held part but that doesn't work as Goldberg and Taker both knock out the people trying to hold them back, but Taker got a bit more distracted during all of this, which led to an amazing looking spear into the limo's windshield. Goldberg talks his trash while Undertaker has to be attended to as Raw goes off the air.

Overall, a better show than last week, a few things that I feel should have not really taken place, some because it was bad, some because it's free TV. But overall the show was pretty good, I'd have to give it a 6 and three quarters out of ten. I really look forward to what they bring to the table next.

side note: OMB, I saw your comments about why you did some of this, but remember this is in character, so "Brandon Blaze" would not see any of that, since in kayfabe and in this world, none of that would even be said anyway. So don't take offense to any of it, I get what you're doing, I've booked some big matches before on free tv as well. I just gotta stay in the character of a wrestling journalist

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
We got some breaking news from backstage at Raw as well,

We've been told Goldberg got into a fight backstage with Dustin Rhodes, that had to be broken up. Goldberg we hear got a fine for being the one to instigate it.

DDP took David Flair under his wing, to help him learn the ins and outs of the ring, which damn that boy needs it. The fact that he's a flair and is horrible is sad. Let's hope DDP can help the kid out.

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Well LI just got some breaking news from my source, who has told me a Trade has went down, and it's a pretty good one I'd say.

WCW and ECW have agreed to trade, that will see Great Muta sent to ECW, and Tajiri sent to WCW.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler