The Torch

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
We've all heard about the torch. Many will probably assume that the Rock vs. Cena is passing the torch. Well I think the Torch is bullshit. It's meant to symbalize that moment in history where one legend losses to another future legend letting him know he's currently best in the buisiness. Or that's the representation I always got.Thread inspired by chad and hatred in the shoutbox only for vip members...cheap plug

The thing is who has the torch?

A big "torch" match would be hogan vs the rock, so then he passed the torch to the rock? So the torch has been sitting on the rocks shelf for the past 7-8 years? I know this things not a real torch it's not on the rocks mantle but to claim that their's only one torch per generation is idiotic.

Taker
HHH
SCSA

Those are three guys who could all have matches with members of todays generation and have a match billed as passing the torch. To me the term is just bad.

Whose torch is more important?

If I have a torch match what's that mean do I have to retire? Can I have other torch matches? Hogan hasn't done any of this and I don't think he has the ability to pass the Torch anymore.

Anybody else have thoughts on "torch" matches?

The Wrestling Addict

Reaction score
[video=youtube;j5WPqIdJngo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5WPqIdJngo[/video]

Randy Orton obviously has the torch....

Seriously though, the torch is a sybolization of a legend handing the ball to a future legend so they can run with it. There isn't one torch per generation as it is more of the legend they are. Hogan/Rock was a big match that "The Torch" got passed. Also I'll throw another in Jericho/HBK Wrestlemania 19. I think the passing of the torch is saying the top dog is handing his role over to a young wolf who will one day pass the torch down to someone else.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
To me there is multiple ways to pass the torch one being the way it was done with Hogan/Warrior at mania where Warrior was pretty much seen as the next guy in line to take over for Hogan who had been on top for so long. Then had a case where Rock was in the midst of his stardom and had Hogan pretty much put it over the top by losing to him. I don't see Rock/Cena as a passing of the torch because I think that time has passed given how long his run on top has been. I see it more as a attitude era vs the current era type thing more than a torch passing type match.

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
In most cases, the passing of the torch is overdue, and when it happens, it's hardly a torch passing. Hogan vs. Warrior was a torch passing because Hogan was ready to get out of the WWF and Warrior was going to be their leader into the next generation, and also didn't already have multiple world title reigns. However, that ended up being ineffective because Warrior's reign at the top of WWF went sour thanks to his politics. But it was logically the right time to pass the torch. When we had Hogan vs. Rock, we had Hogan allegedly passing the torch to Rock, but if Rock didn't already have the torch, how could he have already won five world titles before the match? Rock was already on top, no torch passing was needed, and Rock would only wrestle for a year or two after that anyhow, so big deal.

Rock vs. Cena? Once again, John Cena has a ton of world titles to his name, there is no torch to take! If he won this many belts without the torch, you need to do everything in your power to keep that torch away from him, because if he gets a hold of it, he's going to win every belt the WWE has to offer and hold a couple of New Japan belts at the same time... somehow... Torch passing IS bullshit, but it doesn't have to be. It's been made into bullshit because they wait to long to have these torch-passing matches. Rather than have some dude from the last decade "pass the torch" to a multi-time world champion, make it more relevant.

I'd consider a proper torch passing as having Triple H win the world title this year, say he's going to retire at WrestleMania, and then having Dolph Ziggler or someone beat him for the world title at WrestleMania, effectively ending the Tripl H era, and giving Ziggler his first world title. THAT's a torch passing.

rcoot93

Reaction score
I feel that once someone has passed the torch they should retire or wrestle one offs, personally I don't see this match as passing the torch as Cena has been at the top for years for me it would have to be Rock v Sheamus or Rock v ziggler etc. before I would see it as passing the torch.

Also I understand what you mean about their being so many wrestlers that could have these sorts of matches, I agree with the notion that any legend losing to a up and comer who is already getting a big reaction (sheamus) but not quite a big star

Isabellas2007

Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it the wrestler who seems to have the torch now is Orton. He is a good sound wrestler, but he has those break outs of anger. That and he seems very cocky and this can be annoying at times even when it is part of the show!