The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
WallStreetJournal said:
Jay Leno has an heir.
NBC has committed to turning over "The Tonight Show," now hosted by Mr. Leno, to younger comic Jimmy Fallon eventually, says a person familiar with the situation.

No formal deal has been made with Mr. Fallon, the person said. The comic now hosts "Late Night with Jimmy Fallon" on NBC, airing after "The Tonight Show." The timing of the changeover also hasn't been determined, although the person said it could be tied to the end of Mr. Leno's contract in 2014.

Mr. Leno has been host of the show since 1992.

News of NBC's commitment to Mr. Fallon, which was reported on the New York Times website on Wednesday, comes just months after Walt Disney Co. ABC moved Jimmy Kimmel to go head-to-head with Mr. Leno and his CBS rival David Letterman.

The ABC decision highlighted a generational shift rippling through late night, as the big names age. While Mr. Leno and Mr. Letterman are both in their 60s, Mr. Kimmel and Mr. Fallon are much younger.

Still, the timing of any shift is risky. Mr. Leno continues to lead the late-night ratings race, ahead of both Mr. Letterman and Mr. Kimmel, respectively, according to Nielsen figures provided by NBC.

And NBC has been burned before going after younger viewers at late night. About three years ago, the network moved its comic Conan O'Brien to "The Tonight Show" slot at 11:35 p.m. in 2009, pushing Mr. Leno in to prime time. But the reordering didn't work. Ratings were unimpressive and Mr. Leno was returned to his original time slot.

NBC is a unit of NBCUniversal, which is a unit of Comcast Corp.

Handing over "The Tonight Show" to Mr. Fallon would mean returning the show's production to New York City, from where it had originally been broadcast, the person said. Production was moved to Los Angeles by its longtime host, Johnny Carson, in 1972.

Mr. Fallon broadcasts his show from a studio at NBC's headquarters in New York, once occupied by "The Tonight Show." The decades-old studio, at 30 Rockefeller Center, is currently undergoing a renovation, the person said. Many years have passed since an update, the person said, which will include an expansion of the space for a larger audience. The studio will be used by Mr. Fallon whenever he takes Mr. Leno's slot.

Speculation that Mr. Fallon would one day succeed Mr. Leno has circulated for months. The talk faded briefly last year, after Mr. Leno extended his contract by another two years. His contract extension came as the show was forced to cut its budget and trim its staff, with Mr. Leno taking a 50% pay cut. NBC's entertainment chief Robert Greenblatt told The Wall Street Journal last September that the show was still profitable but was "not the cash cow it was in the Johnny Carson days."

No real surprise that Fallon is getting the spot, hopefully Leno actually steps aside for good this time and doesn't try to get the spot back 9 months later. I never liked how Leno got the spot back after his prime time show failed, I think that he should simply stepped aside and let Conan remain at the helm of the Tonight Show. I was a Conan fan for years and used to watch his show religiously, I don't mind Fallon but I don't watch it anywhere near as often.

Aniking

Reaction score
I'm assuming this is a big deal, but I don't live in America so I'm not sure if it really is or not.

His show airs on The Comedy Channel on Foxtel and I think it's great. I find him to be quite funny and I really enjoy watching it.

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
I don't watch Jimmy Fallon's show that often, but when I do download a show of his I always enjoy it. I watched his interview with Selena Gomez from Tuesday night, last night and enjoyed it. So he'd be the perfect fit to take over Jay Leno's show, should Leno retire next year.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Jimmy Fallon is a completely unfunny and worthless piece of garbage just like his show and I never could stand him. His sense of humor is flat as fuck and even his stupid looking face annoys the crap out of me.

And if Fallon thinks he's going to transition to the Tonight Show slot easily, take a look at what happened to Conan. Jimmy's style of humor is just as radically different from Leno's as Conan's was, except that Conan was infinitely better than both of them. But NBC being the Nazi corporation they are, when they see the dip in ratings after Fallon takes over, they won't wait on the ratings to recover with time and they'll betray him the same way.

Though I don't blame Leno for what happened to Conan, I fully blame NBC. I still think Leno is amusing and I still watch his show from time to time. But I would never watch the Tonight Show if Fallon was the host. I just really can't stress enough how awful he is.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Fuck Jimmy Fallon. I am just going to echo what Legion said. Fallon isn't funny, the only time his shows are ever good is when he has actually talented people on as guests. And considering his talents, it's not all that hard. Why the dude is even getting a mention is beyond me. What NBC did to Conan was a fucking crime. Arguably one of the best late night hosts out of all the late night shows. I'll actually stay up to watch him. I'll only watch Fallon if Justin Timberlake is on mostly because I think Timberlake is probably the only guy to get any kind of comedy out of Fallon. Fallon who has a terrible habit of laughing during almost every fucking skit! Mind you I don't mind it that much, but when it's every skit, it gets annoying. One or two isn't bad, but fuck... I'll also only watch Fallon for The Roots. That's about it. Overall Conan is much more entertaining. I hope Kimmel rapes the fuck out of Fallon if they go head to head.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I still don't know why anyone would think of replacing Leno, he is in good health and still kills every other late night show. Jay Leno clicks with most of the late night viewers for whatever reason and to think he would be replaced by a guy who doesn't offer much besides some games and a great band.

Rather know IF CBS is going to get rid of Letterman soon, Ferguson is the only late night show I can watch.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
To be fair NBC pushed Leno into that Primetime spot back then so it wasn't his fault it failed. I think this is premature and if NBC outs Leno before he's ready I could see a fifth late night talk show possibly Fox? As far as Fallon he's juvenile he giggles like a little girl at his typically unfunny joke. It's a trick bad comedians tend to use because if most people see someone laughing they tend to laugh too.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
It is all speculation at the moment as nothing is 100% confirmed. Does seem obvious that the Late Night host takes over from the Tonight Show host although there is a bad history with that with what happened to Letterman and Conan. If it does happen be interesting if Fallon can break the unlucky streak. NBC are just struggling so much at the moment, dropped to fifth in the ratings, so I guess they want to keep pushing for change as what they are currently doing isn't working at all. I do think that Fallon will struggle early on, just like Conan did, but NBC need to give these change overs more time.

If Fallon does take over from Leno in a year or two who do people want to see take over Late Night?