The Thread of God aka CM Punk

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Also, the ratings went up just a tad last week to a 3.2. Whats going to be telling of Punk as a draw is the buyrate for MITB. As of now, if people are insinuating Punk is a draw, they are out of their minds.

Axis

Reaction score
I'm sorry, that crowd didn't drown out anything. It was lukewarm and I for one am disappointed the crowd didn't pop louder as they were fantastic all night long.

Are you talking about this past Raw? From the onset all I could think about was how lame they were. The underwhelming reaction for Triple H and John Morrison showed me how bad it was, but I noticed it from the opening match.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
JR had an awesome reaction as well as Trips. Some slight boos mixed in too. Cole/Vickie got their usual heat. Rey got a big pop his first time out, and Cena got his usual response. Truth and Trips had the crowd going too. I think expecting Morrison to get an ovation in front of any crowd is stretching it. They didn't care about most of the midcarders, but they've pushed Punk so hard, that tepid response was unacceptable if i'm running the show.

However as I mentioned in my first post part of that is they stupidly changed his theme music, and even having him walk down the entrance ramp killed some cred with the fans. I thought they really blew it with that sort of redebut so fastly.

I get the feeling someone upstairs looked at those bad ratings he's been doing and panicked, which is why we saw him (I assume) re-signed so quickly. That's just speculation on my part, but I wouldn't bet against the bigwigs being against Punk from the start.

Axis

Reaction score
Not that they weren't all cheers, just that they weren't as loud as really they should have been given the circumstances. I don't recall JR's, but I specifically remember Triple H and Morrison getting reactions less than what should have been.

KenFan4life

Reaction score
Love how all the WWE fanboys are saying "Oh-Well, ratings don't matter!" now
after consistently harping on TNA's ratings for the past like 5 years or so.

...just sayin'.

Either way, we got a 5 star match out of the feud, an awesome promo, a pretty cool angle, not much to complain about other than wrestling fans anointing this the "NEW ATTITUDE ERA!" for the billion'eth time since Stone cold retired.

seX-Power

Reaction score
It's a pity everyone hates Morrison now. I still think they dropped the ball when he was having amazing matches with Jericho, Hardy, Mysterio and the like in 2009 and was pretty damn over as a face. Despite that, I think the WWE are intent on pushing him to a WWE Championship run in the next few years, he'll just have to wait for now.

straight_edge76

Reaction score
People are throwing this storyline down the shitter before it even climaxes. Just shut the fuck up, sit back and watch it unfold. It's times like this when the IWC really pisses me off because they are so quick to bring the technical shit in like ratings and shit. Who cares about ratings? Whats wrong with immersing yourself in whats going on? The dynamic of WWE TV is obviously gonna change regardless with VKM "out" and HHH "in". I can't remember the last time a storyline got so much buzz with people who aren't even necessarily wrestling fans.

THIS.

I've learned that wrestling fans, internet fans to be exact ARE NEVER FUCKING HAPPY.

I don't care, the last 6 weeks or so have been the best television I have seen the WWE put on in atleast 7 years or so.

Airfixx

Reaction score
A few thoughts re: the above talking points...

*Another highly entertaining episode of Raw... Thought Truth/HHH was funny, Miz/Rey was nice and been waiting to see Rey/Cena (which was also pretty cool) forever; even if I am kinda gutted that we won't be getting a straight rematch between them @ SSlam (perfectly set up afterall).

*Suprised not to see a Ryder-love-fest kick off on t'web (was that his actual Raw in-ring debut?)... To be honest, even now, aside from the YouTube stuff being fun, I still don't get what all the fuss is about. Not even sure a repackage would be enough - He just seems too kooky to make it out of the lower card.

*Very dissapointed they didn't make more of Punk's absence; particularly their bringing him back so quickly... I really hoped we'd have this rogue champ randomly appearing and undermining HHH/WWE as hinted at during that Comic convention recently. I'm sure there's plenty still to come from this storyline, but the scope for this was astronomical and whilst, til now, the way they'd been working the angle both on and off TV has been great (Punk turning up at the convention and 'shooting' on HHH was such a nice touch!) it felt to me that it wasn't so much Punk being the 'revolution' people have been heralding, but the more so the way they were working the angle itself - It's been... Shock horror... C-R-E-A-T-I-V-E! - and after Monday's show I kinda felt things slip back into their typical 'gear'... Showing impatience and a lack of faith in their own plans/storylines (especially if all the talk of re-re-re-re-writes for Raw's script is to be believed)... In particular, I find the speculation about their being worried about keeping Punk OFF(!) TV too long very disconcerting... Not to mention my not knowing what the hell to make of them not having faith in 2 of their very top guys (Rey & Cena) carry succesfully carrying the company to Summerslam.

*Punk's new music... Assuming it is a permanent fixeture, I have mixed feelings... Firstly, unfortunate they felt the need to have new music debut on such a night as it dented the initial crowd pop, yet conversely it did make sense if we are indeed seeing a 'new' CM Punk. Secondly, I don't like it when they re-use music for different guys (Like someone above said, I already associate that tune with SCSA so it just feels odd)... BUT it's a good song and actually suited Punk's walk to the ring.

...Still, they must be continuing to do something right, cos once again they got me hot for next weeks show.

phantomgerald

Reaction score
^^^ Dude, Zack Ryder has a pop that no other wrestler not being put on TV often gets. I'm a fan but I understand that he's not main event material. We just want to see him get a mid-card push because he's so fucking talented, and has an interesting character. And he has CM Punk and John Cena backing him (check out CM Punk at Comic-Con and John Cena on twitter).

Airfixx

Reaction score
Dude, Zack Ryder has a pop that no other wrestler not being put on TV often gets.

Nice pop on Raw this week, yes - won't deny that - but on the odd times he's been on Superstars when I've watched I've not heard similar. I guess the litmus test is whether a) he continues appearing and b) he continues to get those pops.

We just want to see him get a mid-card push because he's so fucking talented

That's just it though.... It's the masses of talent that the "we" you refer to perceive he has that I'm not seeing. Take away all the fun stuff with You Tube and his gimmick and I'm not seeing anything that get's me excited.

and has an interesting character.

Interesting in what way? ...Not like it's something that particularly lends itself to fueds and such unless they're gonna start having fueds over who has the best tan or some shit.

Dude... If anything, the gimmick is only gonna get in the way of any longevity he may be able to achieve.

I'm kinda a fan of the web-show and all that (His dad and the stuff with Big O is awesome! Lol), but none of what makes that fun is really gonna crossover suitably and be of any use characterwise/gimmickwise on the main roster....

TBH, I'm still wondering WDF "WooWooWoo" is meant to mean.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Airfixx clearly isn't a broski... lol. And nah, it was his 2nd Raw match... the first was a loss to Kofi which was botched by refs.

I do agree that they shouldn't have aborted the long-term plans for Punk... especially since we're meant to carry this fucking feud with Cena/Rock for a fucking year! Punk's reappearance on Raw was something they should have done as soon as the main hype really died down and we started to forget about him... it was executed well... just not for as soon as it was. They should have waited until they were back in Chicago, imo...

straight_edge76

Reaction score
On the Ryder topic, I don't see why he is never on TV, he's clearly over with the fans (more so than people like Swagger, McIntyre etc.) and tey are on TV pretty regularly, he isn't half bad in the ring, I would say he's just as good if not a little better than guys like Kofi and Swagger. I'm not saying push him to the top of the card, but he could be a very solid midcarder I think.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
^When Ryder is wrestling, you can tell he's a fan of wrestling... which is a good thing, imo. He honestly has good match psychology... he knows when to taunt, when to play with the crowd, how to sell, how to make a comeback. The kid just looks goofy, which is why I think he gets knocked... but he took a rather lame gimmick and made it one of the most popular phrases in the WWE... look how many Ryder signs there are in EVERY crowd... it's crazy.

Reaction score
Not that they weren't all cheers, just that they weren't as loud as really they should have been given the circumstances. I don't recall JR's, but I specifically remember Triple H and Morrison getting reactions less than what should have been.

Maybe for Trips, but Morrison...what's expected of a guy that gets a decent pop maybe once every ten outings? He's not over and his absence doesn't help him. Turn him heel and send him to SD to recreate the magic with Sheamus.