The Rockers Were Champions...sort of

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jon Honcho

Reaction score
They did defeat The Hart Foundation for the tag team championship during a tv taping but the top rope broke and they changed their minds...weird.

I heard they were real party dudes of the 80's but they still should have gotten a little title run. Maybe one month. The tag division was deep back then but the belts were owned by Demolition and the Harts in the late 80's and early 90's.

Jon Honcho

Reaction score
^^^I think so too. History may have been altered slightly but not to the point where HBK's career never would've happened. At worst it would have delayed the inevitable.

Reaction score
YehI think you're right. I remember watching one of his DVDs, he spoke about how he (and 90% likely Marty) wanted to go into singles at some point. It always would've happened, given the chance. So it wouldn't have stopped it, possibly just delayed it a little.

Reaction score
I was just looking from the standpoint of an established tag team. If they won the tag team championships, the WWF might of pushed them strictly as a tag team. If Shawn wouldn't comply, then I guess he would be out of a job. He was still green anyway. Thats just how I look at it.

hbkfan

Reaction score
either way im happy how it turned out they both got to hold tag team gold just not with each other. instead marty goes thru the barber shop window and good ol hbk was born.

Airfixx

Reaction score
I was just looking from the standpoint of an established tag team. If they won the tag team championships, the WWF might of pushed them strictly as a tag team. If Shawn wouldn't comply, then I guess he would be out of a job. He was still green anyway. Thats just how I look at it.

Michaels wasn't green by the time Rockers appeared in WWE, FFS... They worked their fucking asses off and had sick match after sick match with pretty much everyone they faced! They'd already been teaming in AWA and other territories to some degree of success. (Note: Their 1988 WWF debut wasn't ACTUALLY their debut.... They debuted a good 18months before that but caught heat immediately and went 'territory' again until Vince came calling for the second time.)

Michaels and Jannetty had an understanding that they both always wanted to go singles eventually.... Jannetty may have lasted longer than he did as a singles guy in WWE too were it not for booze & drugs (He was no HBK, but he could have maintained a sweet mid-card run given his working abilities and beleive it or not at the time was superior to HBK on the mic).

As for the Rockers winning the titles, this happened on Saturday Night's main event late 90/early 91... The ring ropes broke, thus screwing the match up and leaving WWF no choice but to reverse the decision in the following weeks.

Notably, they never got another title shot and pretty much became jobbers until 'The Barber Shop Incident'.