The Rock scheduled to return soon

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Because Rock shouldn't wrestle weekly, neither should taker or trips. You learn from the mistakes of hogan and flair, or foley who jobbed so much. He is special unlike a Jericho, you build his appearances and matches up, same with Brock, Taker, Austin, Michaels, HHH. If you capitalize on them right, you make a smart business decision and maximize the longevity of him as a special commodity. They are so good they don't have to be out there bumping every week to sell a match, they can let their words and acting, presence sell it

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Didn't necessarily say he should wrestle every week, nor do I expect that from him. But with that heavy list of appearances lined up, getting him more invloved in angles and segments shouldn't be very difficult. Especially since the usual tact creative takes with The Rock is to let him say whatever he wants anyway.

All I want is some more diversity from The Rock. Give him some side angle with Dolph Ziggler or whatever, put him in segments like Miz TV to help get a face over in a comedy segment that might actually work, give him a mountain to climb, ANYTHING but the same catchphrases and dumb jokes week in and week out. Because that's how I feel this will turn out and that's why The Rock's re-re-return has me more than just a bit tentative. Worse, that I should just shut up because the guy shouldn't push himself too hard.

I've been trying to keep this aspect of the discussion aside and not let it up come up again but it really needs to be said: The profits WWE makes from a show should not be what gratifies the audience. Looking at all those appearances leading up to Wrestlemania from now, you can't honestly think the only thing that could potentially come from all of this is money? Because that's going to happen anyway. Why are we content with that?

Last edited:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
What did the wrestling fans wants? The rock to come back to the WWE. What did he do? Go back to the WWE.

What else did the fans want? The Rock to wrestle a match......And what did he do? He wrestled a match.

What does he have to do to placate these lofty expectations of certain selfish wrestling fans? This guys schedule heading up to Wrestlemania is insane. He has movie appearances lined up for most of this and he is still going to be at the majority of WWE TVs going into Wrestlemania and yet, that isn't good enough/

You can't please everyone I guess.

The funniest thing is that the same people criticising him for being on such limited dates are the same guys saying how lame hes been since he came back.

If he's that bad, why would you want him around more? Wrestling logic never ceases to amaze.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
The funniest thing is that the same people criticising him for being on such limited dates are the same guys saying how lame hes been since he came back.

If he's that bad, why would you want him around more? Wrestling logic never ceases to amaze.

The Rock's returns have been criticised because he has been disappointing. I don't more Rock, I want a better Rock.

On the rare occasions he appeared during the Cena fued, whenever Cena would try to jerk a theme or an angle out of the fued, Rock would call him a kung pow bitch. After CM Punk went on a 15-20 minute tirade about why he thinks the system is backwards and how the Rock's success and fans are completely irrelevant to him (with numerous dangling threads of logic for The Rock to turn around on him), Rock calls him Cookie Puss and addressed almost none of the points Punk made.

This isn't The Rock I wanted to see back. Its all jokes and jerking off The People without the kickass intensity, so whoever he's standing in the ring with becomes nothing more than a prop in a comedy segment. As a viewer, I want better than that.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I've been trying to keep this aspect of the discussion aside and not let it up come up again but it really needs to be said: The profits WWE makes from a show should not be what gratifies the audience. Looking at all those appearances leading up to Wrestlemania from now, you can't honestly think the only thing that could potentially come from all of this is money? Because that's going to happen anyway. Why are we content with that?

I am into numbers and statistics so everything that I have an interest in I also look at the stats as well. With all the sports that I like I am always checking the statistics to see where a player or team stands, I like movies so I like checking the box office data, I am a wrestling fan so ratings and PPV buys interest me a lot. That is who I am.

Rock's return is pretty much all about profit for WWE but their goal will be long term rather than just the predictable short term. WWE need to use The Rock's appearances in the coming months to help boost their entire product. More people will tune in so they need to really expose these fans to the great wrestlers on the roster that will still be there once Rock leaves and try to get these fans invested in these other wrestlers. That way it can help them long term.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I'm sure whenever Rock comes back it usher in some new viewers who get to check out a roster of talent they may be unfamilair with. Good for them and good for WWE. I just want him to do something more substantial during the time he'll be around.

As for the appeal of following player statistic and team standings in sports, that's fine, though we may as well stop here because I think we're from completely different schools of thought on the matter.. You'll never get a sports discussion out of me, but I do know that wrestling is significantly different from sports in that regard because pro-wrestlers are not actual competitors. Sports is competition, wrestling is entertainment. Win/Loss player statistics and such are irrelevant because the promoter can arrange contenders around the division as they see fit.

I see wrestling as closer to some kind of fiction. I see The Rock as an old favourite character returning to a lead role about 6 sequels down the line, and spends most of the film calling the villian built up over the previous two films a fag. A lucrative deal for the film makers and all involved indeed, but in the business of entertainment I think there's a certain obligation to the art and the audience as well. The Rock's schtick is not just tired, but makes his most threatening opponents seem ridiculous.

The outcome of this is that all these new fans tune in and see The Rock just steamroll over people and just further cements their preconceptions (founded or not) of how weak today's product is compared to a decade ago. Publicity is a tricky thing.

In terms of taking an interest in the making of the art, I get that too. I mean I like Christian Bale, I think he's a good actor and I hope he does well, I like his the movies he's in and I like knowing when they do well at the box office. But his Batman is terrible and I feel like kicking and screaming about it because he let me down and he could've done better. See where I'm coming from? I like to think I criticize with the intent of seeing things improve, rather than being cynical.

Last edited:
Reaction score
For Rock to truly benefit in long term he needs to interact with more than just Punk The interaction with Rhode Scholars was smart. Would love Rock to have to do a tag match on TV before RR