The Rise and Fall of Wrestling in Puerto Rico

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Tyler2

Abap
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
dJHMFjb
I wanted to start a thread discussing wrestling in CSP/WWC and even IWA a little. Because I think it's very interesting. I remember watching Carlos Colon vs Abdullah The Butcher as a kid and feeling traumatized by the blood. I remember cheering on a young Carlito Caribbean Cool and Shane The Glamour Boy from TNA. This company used to draw 30,000 fans sold out in baseball stadiums with Colon and The Butcher taking on Stan Hansen and Bruiser Brody. Names like Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, King Tonga/Haku/Meng, The Funks and many more. It all came crashing down one night in Bayamon. And the territory took a hit that some say they never recovered from. Then came the IWA with Victor Quinones and names like The Rock, Chris Jericho, Kane and Edge were standing across the local talent and engaged in a ratings war nothing like WWE and WCW. But when Victor died 6 to 7 years later the promotion folded and WWC attendance are nothing compared to the glory days

Last edited:

akapablo_

Chicken Nugget Aficionado
Hotshot
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I agree. My grandfather showed me what it was like in the late 70s and early 80s, and clips from them now, they just don't seem the same, it seems like there's a lack of passion in it. Maybe they need to rehaul everything? Try and start fresh? :/

Tyler2

Abap
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
dJHMFjb
I agree. My grandfather showed me what it was like in the late 70s and early 80s, and clips from them now, they just don't seem the same, it seems like there's a lack of passion in it. Maybe they need to rehaul everything? Try and start fresh? :/
Look at this It's so empty, even in the 90s to early 2010's it seemed like people cared a little more

Tyler2

Abap
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
dJHMFjb
what promotions are left in PR just WWC?
There are some indie ones on youtube, facebook and twitter. But finding events is impossible. The other big one or semi big is WWL run by Savio Vega, old Invader left his buddy Carlos to work over there. They get some other big indie names like The Mack from Lucha Underground

Reactions: 123seanwwf

123seanwwf

Jobber
Reaction score
There are some indie ones on youtube, facebook and twitter. But finding events is impossible. The other big one or semi big is WWL run by Savio Vega, old Invader left his buddy Carlos to work over there. They get some other big indie names like The Mack from Lucha Underground

Thanks for the info.

Tyler2

Abap
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
dJHMFjb
Now that's commitment, eating a raw chicken just to live up to the gimmick

Nikki Nitro

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
Now that's commitment, eating a raw chicken just to live up to the gimmick

Thats very interesting and yet, Eeeew!

200.gif
<<<<<ME

Tyler2

Abap
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
dJHMFjb
Thats very interesting and yet, Eeeew!

200.gif
<<<<<ME
Abby legit scared me as a kid in Puerto Rico lol. I overcame that fear and walked up to him at the UXW Wrestlemania 24 Weekend Show to shake his hand. He proceeded to have a bloody main event with local wrestler Lou Cypher
[doublepost=1515629223][/doublepost]I love how Chicky Starr and Hugo Savinovich are doing this promo, like Abby eating a raw chicken is a regular everyday occurrence

Tyler2

Abap
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
dJHMFjb
Bienvenidos a Puerto Rico es JERICHO!

Reactions: Nikki Nitro

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Willie Mack doing flippy shit? Got any links?

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
Thing is, even before the storm ravaged Puerto Rico, the country is poor. Prominently poor. Most people there couldn't even afford a lot of the things that are known as "entertainment." And likewise, the only channels you can get on TV are the ones that are run by the network that "lives" there. There's only one cell network for example. You couldn't even get T-Mobile even if you wanted to. There are only a few WiFi hotspots there.

People there are so poor they have to stand outside to sell shit. To get from one area to the other is a pain in the ass process, trust me. I traveled.

For you to get IKEA, you'd have to drive from your home, all the way to the capital. I'm not bullshitting. That one IKEA is like the size of a Corporate World Headquarters.

Even if you liked or like wrestling and are living in Puerto Rico, you won't be able to get from a to b in a short time. It will take you HOURS just to get from a to b just by driving. So, of course, wrestling promotions in PR are going to have a hard time promoting events. The only ones that are better at it is because they can get big names on the actual show, like Chris Benoit/Jericho up there.

Marketing and promotions in Puerto Rico is very old fashioned. Very traditional. I would say they are behind U.S. or any other country at marketing or promoting. Everything is done by hand. Hell, billboards are EVERYWHERE. Not many people have internet. Not many people can get internet like us. So, back to the basics with marketing in PR.

Last edited:

Tyler2

Abap
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
reymysterio
Favorite Wrestler
rvd
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Sports Team
rRE8Tx2
Favorite Sports Team
dJHMFjb
I dont think you understand, the truth is the younger guys arent as charismatic as guys like Carlos Colón or Chicky Starr. Puerto Rico is actually quite fun and beautiful to travel. I rode with my family from one side of the island to the other and it was a lot of fun with a lot of stops. Traveling here can be boring until you get to the destination

InSaNe

I lost it. I'm InSaNe!
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
bullyray
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
oAYiXZo
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Sports Team
6yloAaa
I dont think you understand, the truth is the younger guys arent as charismatic as guys like Carlos Colón or Chicky Starr. Puerto Rico is actually quite fun and beautiful to travel. I rode with my family from one side of the island to the other and it was a lot of fun with a lot of stops. Traveling here can be boring until you get to the destination
I don't disagree with that notion that PR is beautiful, fun [when at destination], but living in PR is another story. Business in PR is hard from what I've experienced.

For every brick and mortar establishment there's a personal stand to make money. So, what makes anyone think a wrestling school, promotion, or company is viable there? You can be a wrestling promotion anywhere else. Just not PR. It's just not viable.

Thing is, nobody's going to reserve an hour's drive from a to b for a small wrestling show. People don't buy into wrestling for charismatic guys. They do it for many reasons. Let's use Benoit/Jericho as an example - What else was that night? From what I remember at the time, both were mid carders that were free agents.