The Promotional Lineage of WWE

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

writtenin1981

Reaction score
Reading through Ballyhoo and researching the early days, I am starting to wonder if there can be a direct or broken lineage between Jack Curley (one of the first major wrestling promoters of the 20th century) to the modern day World Wrestling Entertainment.

Jack Curley was one of the key promoters in New York and he was in direct competition with a wrestling group affiliated with Toots Mondt.

Later, Curley and Mondt became promotional partners.

Following the death of Curley, Mondt became the key promoter in New York City and partnered up with Jess McMahon.

One or both of them ended up forming Capitol Wrestling Corporation as the New York branch of the National Wrestling Alliance.

Jess' son, Vincent J. McMahon was brought into the fold, as well, partnering up with Mondt to run New York.

Mondt was removed from the company sometime in the 1960s and Vince Sr. took sole control over it was the World Wide Wrestling Federation and we know how that evolved from there.

Even though there are some breaks due to disputes and passings, it seems to me that the modern WWE has a direct link back to Jack Curley in whole or in part.

Jack Curley ---> Toots Mondt ---> Jess McMahon ---> Vince McMahon Sr. ---> Vince McMahon Jr. ---> TKO Corporation

Skyefire

Wrestling Goddest
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
VQVzDYO
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Despite WWE's claim the Buddy Rogers became the first WWWF Champion by winning a tournament in Rio De Janeiro, actually the New York promoters had previously recognized the NWA World Champion as their champion until Buddy Rogers lost the belt to Lou Thesz in a one-fall match whereas typically at the time most title matches were two out of three falls. McMahon (and Mondt?) used this as an opportunity to break away from the NWA and create their own world championship with Rogers as the champion.

Reactions: Jacob Fox

Sky

TOTAL NONSTOP ACTION
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
velvetsky
Why can't promotional splits like that happen more often these days? Would make the wrestling world more interesting

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Honestly Toots Mondt is a far more interesting character than anyone else in wrestling history, I think. He was an above-average wrestler who singlehandedly devised the prototype for modern wrestling, traveled the world over, and had business dealings with nearly everyone in the industry, from the NWA to the McMahon family. He's probably the most consequential booker of all time.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Why can't promotional splits like that happen more often these days? Would make the wrestling world more interesting
I think you're right. I guess that was one of the neat things about the territory days. Just about everyone was part of the NWA so they could leave if they wanted to. It would be neat if like Smackdown decided to split with WWE and be it's own company.

Last edited:

Skyefire

Wrestling Goddest
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
mickfoley
Favorite Wrestler
VQVzDYO
Favorite Wrestler
DeSDzbM
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Because everything's gone corporate these days.