The problems with...SPOILER

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

WMD

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker2
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
The problems with the ending of Cena - Rock [Spoilers]

Vince did the dumbest thing imaginable, business wise. I get it. You have The Rock win in Miami, allowing himself to be a walking merchandise seller and leave the fans happy and content with the outcome of the match, that's perfectly fine in Vince's dream world. He invested the once in a lifetime angle in this match, and with this dumb finish you somewhat hinder the opportunity for a rematch. That would kill the entire feud. What if Hogan was angry and demanded a rematch? That would've killed the story. The WWE put every cookie into ONE jar and expect Rock to continue to sell. By having a rematch, you got the WWE looking like cheap bastards and it is way too late to put Cena over now. It is irrelevant if he beats him at Summerslam, because at the end of the day he jobbed to Rock at WWE's greatest extravaganza, WrestleMania. Either way, this needs to lead to a Cena heel turn. He's needed it forever and they've had plenty of perfect storms to do it but haven't delivered yet. Now they need to come through. If Cena can't, or doesn't turn heel, then he's nothing. He will become a laughing stock. A joke character. This is how bad Cena's track record may be tarnished if SOMETHING does not change.

Last edited:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Who said anything about a rematch?

The whole tagline to the event was 'once in a lifetime'.

I disagree with all of your post, and Cena losing to #2 GOAT doesnt make him look any worse than he already did. Its the fucking Rock, everyone loses to him. Its not a case of "lol Cena lost to The Rock he has no credibility now". What cred did he have? Hes a mid-30's wigger ffs.

TheOneKnownAsFetter

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Honestly I also questioned a heel turn with Cena wearing the Celtics gear out to the ring in Miami, but also remembered he's Vinny Mac's biggest sales getter. A heel turn for Cena and you can kiss sales goodbye especially since Cena has a high younger males and teen female fan range.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
The ending left me rather unsatisfied as well, but I'll reserve my judgement at least until tomorrow when we get an idea of where Cena is heading.

I can't help but feel, however, that Cena has been booked under the table here, assuming that Lesnar really is going to be on Raw. Had Cena won, Brock returning and confronting him would've made for a nice story. When Brock was around for the short time he was, he beat a young Cena and The Rock in his prime. Brock gets to say "You beat Rocky? So what? I've been there done that in my first year and, last I checked, I beat you. So whaddya say, huh?"

The reason I'm so fond of this idea is because it really shows a nice contrast between old Cena and new Cena, and how much he has evolved and grown up to be the man carrying it all on his shoulders.

Now that he's lost to The Rock, I feel that opportunity is almost lost because he doesn't have as much credibility as a guy who belongs in the same league as the kings of yesterday, at least when you compare him to Rock and Lesnar.

Unless the plan is for Brock to confront CM Punk, which would be 4th Wall gold.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Cena can always get Austin in a feud of who is second best behind Rock as he so clearly pointed out that he bested both men as well as Hogan unlike anyone else in the company's history

I just see no way wwe doesn't go Rock and Brock.mhell if they wanted to, they could do it at SummerSlam as it is their 10 year anniversary of their one and only encounter, in the same arena

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Cena can always get Austin in a feud of who is second best behind Rock as he so clearly pointed out that he bested both men as well as Hogan unlike anyone else in the company's history

I just see no way wwe doesn't go Rock and Brock.mhell if they wanted to, they could do it at SummerSlam as it is their 10 year anniversary of their one and only encounter, in the same arena
Don't think you realize how Blue that sounds lol. Austin admits that yeah I'm great but not better than Rock and Cena puts on a smile after saying nobody remembers second best and this match against Rock means everything but oh well lets see who the second best superstar of all time is. That would be some of the dumbest shit of all time for a big match.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I'm sorry. I should have added green font like Cena's shirt. I still think he gets Austin or Batista who was also backstage I read next year

shutupchico

Reaction score
if anyone doesn't think they'll be a rematch, you're crazy. if they were only gonna have 1 match, cena would've won... this just furthers it. cena will probably win at summerslam and next years mania.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Vince did the dumbest thing imaginable, business wise. I get it. You have The Rock win in Miami, allowing himself to be a walking merchandise seller and leave the fans happy and content with the outcome of the match, that's perfectly fine in Vince's dream world. He invested the once in a lifetime angle in this match, and with this dumb finish you somewhat hinder the opportunity for a rematch.
First of all the finish was pretty great, but regardless of who won the whole match has been built as 'Once In A Lifetime' therefore meaning no rematch, so nothing was hindered

It is irrelevant if he beats him at Summerslam, because at the end of the day he jobbed to Rock at WWE's greatest extravaganza, WrestleMania.
He lost to one of the greatest of all time, if not the greatest of all time in his own back yard of Miami, this doesn't hurt Cena one ounce but in my opinion enhances his reputation despite the loss because he went toe to toe with The Great One the entire time.

Either way, this needs to lead to a Cena heel turn. He's needed it forever and they've had plenty of perfect storms to do it but haven't delivered yet. Now they need to come through. If Cena can't, or doesn't turn heel, then he's nothing. He will become a laughing stock. A joke character. This is how bad Cena's track record may be tarnished if SOMETHING does not change.
I can't believe i'm going to say this but this is probably the one time I'd be cool with Cena playing his usual character. For me he should come out as his usual self but more serious. Talk about last night and how it meant everything to him and he came up short due to making a mistake. Talk up how he's trashed talk The Rock for however long and how he's questioned whether he still had it blah blah but last night he proved to Cena and the world that he still has. You can have Rock come out and do his side and say that even though he still doesnt like Cena, he respects the guy and took him to the limit to last night. Can have them handshake and Rock raise his hand and try to convert some of his fans to Cena fans.

TheOneKnownAsFetter

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
I see where Dale is coming from (by the way everytime I see your name I think it's me cause my name is also Dale xD). Anyways I think this built Cena as well as a win could of, he lost to the People's champ a future HOFER. As Dale said he went toe to toe with a legend, and just barely lost out. Cena's still on that upper echelon of WWE Superstars.

About Cena and SCSA, I think Stone Cold has one match left in him. He has stated before he would return for one more match with someone who it was worth returning for, probably at next year's Mania.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
In my view the right guy won the match Cena winning in with that crowd would've meant his end, by the way when it looked like Cena was gonna win one guy infront of me had a sign saying get the pitch forks ready.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
What you mean by his end? That crowd all things considered wasn't the least bit hostile. Was thinking they were gonna boo Cena out the building like he was in Chi against Punk or Philly against RVD but it was not on that level.

But anyways for Cena to lose after how important he built it up for himself something has to happen to him character wise. He can't just go on like nothing happened after he built it up as him losing everything if he lost. At the very very least it's the perfect set up for a big character tweak even if it isn't exactly a heel turn.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
A rematch is pointless. Cena can't beat Rock at Wrestlemania, so what difference does it make if he beats him elsewhere? A win at Summer Slam =/= win at Mania. Not even close. I thought it was fine just having the match once. We wanted the dream match, and we got it. AND... the guy we all hate lost. Good enough for me.

What Rock decides to go do now is irrelevant. Frankly, I don't care if he's gone for another 7 years. He's a HOF'er, "legend"-status, he's not even supposed to be wrestling regularly now. No sense in him coming back until the next top star in the company emerges. But by then, he'll probably be in his 40's, so whatever. Ending your wrestling career at Mania in your home town with a WIN in the main event is a pretty damned awesome way to go out. I think he should hang it up now, I certainly would.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if he comes back and works with some of the current guys for Wrestlemania but he can't win them all he needs to do the job at least once to end it now it doesn't now there are a few matches that are possible that would be great for Rock

vs Rey Mysterio
vs Triple H (one last time)
vs Undertaker (Streak vs the Great One)
vs CM Punk (both these two need to be able to go all out in promos)
vs Randy Orton