The Perfect Band

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Reaction score
Well, there ya go. He was an innovator.

Malmsteen created the neo-classical style pretty much single handedly and as such he's certainly more innovative than a lot of guitarists

I never disagreed that anyone you said didnt have talent, or wasnt an innovator, but Malmsteen definitely has more than just fast picking speed on his side. I mean, I can play super fast, but will it sound as good as Malmsteen can make it sound?

BTW, Malmsteen is not my favorite guitarist ever. I think he needs to use more rests and take advantage of them.

JimmyD

Reaction score
I think in the end it just boils down to personal taste. I personally think Malmsteen is shit, because when I listen to him all I hear is a man felating his own ego with needlessly fast riffs. Give me Dimebag, Peter Green or Jimmy Page any day.

Reaction score
I kinda feel the same way. I really am not a huge Malmsteen fan. I am not. But I do enjoy the effort he puts into his work and how much talent it takes.

noumenon

Well yeah, to say Malmsteen and guys like him don't have talent is ridiculous. I'm just not into that kind of guitar playing.

JimmyD

Reaction score
I tend to make a distinction between talent - the skill to do difficult things with a guitar, and talent - the skill to do something with a guitar (or any instrument for that matter) that no one else has ever done.

Kizza

I tend to make a distinction between talent - the skill to do difficult things with a guitar, and talent - the skill to do something with a guitar (or any instrument for that matter) that no one else has ever done.

Doesn't the second one sort of lean more in the favour of innovation? Because eventually, there will be no more new things that you can do on an instrument.

JimmyD

Reaction score
Yeah it kind of does. Pretty silly choice of words actually.

I'm not sure if we'll run out of things to do with guitars any time soon though Kiz (I know you weren't saying it was going to happen tomorrow, but I think the guitar's got centuries left in it). People thought we'd done all we could in the 80s, then along came thrash. Same thing once grunge was dying down; people didn't know what to do with guitar's anymore since the death of the wankery-guitar-solo and then Tom Morello turned up and showed some of the most innovative guitar work ever.

Moonlight Drive

Vocals: Freddy Mercury
Lead Guitar: Jimi Hendrix
Rhythm Guitar: John Lennon
Drums: John Bonham
Bass: Flea