The Penguin (Max)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Marty McFourth

Trying to figure out this life thing, what about you
Reaction score
The-Batman-star-Colin-Farell-spent-four-hours-in-makeup-chair-to-pull-off-Penguin-transformation-1.jpg

“The Batman” spinoff series about The Penguin at HBO Max has officially been ordered to series.

As Variety exclusively reported in December 2021, Colin Farrell will return for the limited series after starring as the famous Batman villain in the recently released film. Based on the characters created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger for DC, the show will follow the character, whose real name is Oswald Cobblepot, as he rises through the ranks of Gotham’s criminal underworld. Variety reported that the show as in the works in September 2021.

“The world that Matt Reeves created for ‘The Batman’ is one that warrants a deeper gaze through the eyes of Oswald Cobblepot,” said Farrell. “I couldn’t be more excited about continuing this exploration of Oz as he rises through the darkened ranks to become The Penguin. Will be good to get him back on the streets of Gotham for a little madness and a little mayhem.”

Lauren LeFranc will serve as writer and showrunner on the series. Reeves, who directed “The Batman,” will also executive produce along with Dylan Clark, who produced “The Batman.” Reeves executive produces via 6th & Idaho Productions along with Daniel Pipski , while Clark produces via Dylan Clark Produtions. Adam Kassan also executive produces, while Rafi Crohn is co-executive producer. Warner Bros. Television is the studio. 6th & Idaho is currently under an overall deal at WBTV.

“I have long been a fan of the world of ‘The Batman,’ and Matt’s film is such a powerful and bold entry into the canon,” LeFranc said. “I am excited and humbled to continue telling stories in the grimy world of Gotham City – and what better excuse to channel my inner villain than to tell the story of Oswald Cobblepot? I am thrilled to work with Colin, Matt, Dylan, 6th & Idaho, Warners, and HBO Max as we work to bring this story to the screen.”

The Penguin is one of the most famous members of the Batman Rogues Gallery, typically recognizable by his top hat, monocle, and wide variety of deadly umbrellas. On the live-action side, the character has previously been played by actors like Burgess Meredith, Danny DeVito, and Robin Lord Taylor.

“Colin exploded off the screen as the Penguin in ‘The Batman,’ and having the chance to thoroughly explore the inner life of that character on HBO Max is an absolute thrill,” Reeves said. “Dylan and I are so excited to work with Lauren in continuing Oz’s story as he grabs violently for power in Gotham.”

“We are thrilled to bring audiences a new version of this iconic DC character that they have never seen before,” added Sarah Aubrey, head of original content for HBO Max. “It is incredible to be working with Matt, Dylan and Lauren on continuing this story and to see Colin take his already exceptional performance in ‘The Batman’ to the next level.”

“The Batman” debuted in theaters in the U.S. on March 4. The film has grossed over $250 million at the global box office to date. The film has also received positive reviews from critics. Variety‘s Peter Debruge wrote in his review of the film:

“In ways far more unsettling than most audiences might expect, ‘The Batman’ channels the fears and frustrations of our current political climate, presenting a meaty, full-course crime saga that blends elements of the classic gangster film with cutting-edge commentary about challenges facing the modern world.”

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
This is great news!

His performance in the film was my favourite, and I can see this being excellent with HBO backing it. Can't wait.

Reactions: Zany Clowny

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Damn that was fast

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
How long they going to push this back?

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
Cristin-Milioti-e1667228710712.jpg

Cristin Milioti is joining Colin Farrell in “The Batman” spinoff series centered on The Penguin at HBO Max, Variety has learned.

Exact plot details for the series, which is currently titled “The Penguin,” are under wraps. It is believed to take place in the immediate aftermath of the events of “The Batman.” Farrell will reprise the role of the infamous Batman villain, whom he played in the film.

Milioti will star as Sofia Falcone, the daughter of Gotham mob boss Carmine Falcone. John Turturro played Carmine in “The Batman,” with The Penguin serving as his right-hand man.

Sofia was originally introduced in the Batman comic books in the mid-1990s. Milioti will now be the second actress to portray Sofia in a live-action series, with Crystal Reed having played her in the Fox series “Gotham.”

This will now be the second HBO Max series in which Milioti has starred. She previously led the comedy series “Made for Love,” which was canceled after two seasons in June. She also recently starred in the critically-acclaimed Peacock series “The Resort” as well as the film “Palm Springs.” She is also known for starring in the “USS Callister” episode of “Black Mirror” and for her work on the stage.

She is repped by UTA, Untitled Entertainment, and Independent PR.

Variety exclusively reported that Farrell had signed on to star in “The Penguin” in December 2021, with HBO Max officially ordering the show to series in March 2022. Lauren LeFranc serves as writer, executive producer and showrunner.

“The Batman” director Matt Reeves executive produces via 6th & Idaho, while Dylan Clark executive produces via Dylan Clark Productions. Farrell executive produces in addition to starring. Craig Zobel is executive producing and directing the first two episodes. 6th & Idaho’s Daniel Pipski also serves as executive producer with Rafi Croh co-executive producing. Warner Bros. Television is the studio. 6th & Idaho is currently under an overall deal at WBTV. The series is based on characters created for DC by Bob Kane and Bill Finger.

“The Penguin” is one of three spinoffs of “The Batman” in the works at HBO Max at present. Variety exclusively reported that Antonio Campos is set to write a series set in Arkham Asylum, while a series set within the Gotham PD remains in development.

Reactions: Apoho Creed

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Prolly be some kind Iceberg Lounge type show.

Marty McFourth

Reaction score

Max (formerly HBO Max) has provided us with a first-look teaser trailer for “The Penguin,” a spinoff of the hit movie The Batman that will star Colin Farrell as the DC villain.

Watch the official in-production teaser for “Penguin” below.

Cristin Milioti (Palm Springs) will be playing female lead Sofia Falcone, the daughter of Carmine Falcone. John Turturro played the role of Carmine Falcone in The Batman.

In the series, “Sofia is fighting with The Penguin (Colin Farrell) for control of the city.”

Craig Zobel (The Hunt) will be directing the first two episodes. Lauren LeFranc will write and show-run the Penguin spinoff, which picks up after the events of the movie.

Matt Reeves executive produces alongside Farrell, LeFranc, and Dylan Clark.

Sarah Aubrey, Head of Original Content at HBO Max said, “We are thrilled to bring audiences a new version of this iconic DC character that they have never seen before. It is incredible to be working with Matt, Dylan and Lauren on continuing this story and to see Colin take his already exceptional performance in The Batman to the next level.”

Reeves added, “Colin exploded off the screen as the Penguin in The Batman, and having the chance to thoroughly explore the inner life of that character on HBO Max is an absolute thrill. Dylan and I are so excited to work with Lauren in continuing Oz’s story as he grabs violently for power in Gotham.”

“The world that Matt Reeves created for ‘The Batman’ is one that warrants a deeper gaze through the eyes of Oswald Cobblepot,” Farrell said. “I couldn’t be more excited about continuing this exploration of Oz as he rises through the darkened ranks to become The Penguin. Will be good to get him back on the streets of Gotham for a little madness and a little mayhem.”

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
I'll at least say I'm intrigued.

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Marty McFourth

Reaction score
It's still hard to believe that is Farrell playing the character, he's that unrecognisable with the look and accent.

For some reason I got a Sopranos vibe from the trailer, even though they are wildly different shows.

Wiseman

O.J.A.S.
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
eddiekingston
Favorite Wrestler
coltcabana
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
It's still hard to believe that is Farrell playing the character, he's that unrecognisable with the look and accent.

For some reason I got a Sopranos vibe from the trailer, even though they are wildly different shows.
I got the same vibe. And honestly, it's my only thing that makes me maybe not check it out. Mob stuff just isn't my bag, I rarely ever am over the moon about it.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Do The Sopranos in Gotham City.

And I need Penguin with a broken diamond in his eye.

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
The new Kingpin of Gotham is right. I can't wait to see the Series.

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Apoho Creed

I'm the Doctor
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
As much I love the past performances from Movies and TV of the Penguin this Series has the potential to give us the best version of him and most accurate from the Comics.