The overlooked shoot.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jose Tortilla

Champion
Reaction score
R'Albin said:
Yeah was a great battle between the two men. It was obviously personal as well, because HHH didn't put over CM Punk. That suggests to me that HHH was jealous of him at the time.

Fantastic line from HHH but Punk bettered him with the Steph comments.

That's the only thing Punk does in a promo with HHH. He puts Steph in it everytime they talk.. It's getting lame imo.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Thewindyfan said:
If it wasn't for HHH just maybe JUST MAYBE....CM Punk would have still been speaking on the mic with a flare like in the summer.

A combination of Vince and HHH ruined Punk. Why they think an attitude anti-hero isn't marketable I will never know... Austin, anyone remember him?

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
It's debatable whether an Austin like face would be marketable in this era tbh. Society as a majority likes the John Cena mould. It could have worked but also could have been a bust.

Asskicker

Champion
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Seabs said:
It's debatable whether an Austin like face would be marketable in this era tbh. Society as a majority likes the John Cena mould. It could have worked but also could have been a bust.

The People like John Cena because he is that mould. That is truly him and that's what people enjoy as they enjoy him like that. People enjoyed Punk as an anti hero, not some babyface who is now being somewhat watered down being WWE Champion.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Seabs said:

Disagree. Marks, Smarks and kids were ALL cheering Punk during that stage. He was so hot. I've read countless people say they returned to watch WWE because of Punk. Imagine a full on 2 year push as Punk as the attitude anti-hero. If his feud with John Cena got him that over, imagine feuding with Ace (for longer), Vince, Heel HHH, mega-stable etc?

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Thewindyfan said:
The People like John Cena because he is that mould. That is truly him and that's what people enjoy as they enjoy him like that. People enjoyed Punk as an anti hero, not some babyface who is now being somewhat watered down being WWE Champion.

People enjoy Orton but he isn't a big draw. That's the thing Punk could have brought 10,000 people back to the product but driven 30,000 away if it isn't what the majority wanted, the anti hero face was a gamble which wasn't needed to be taken.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Seabs said:
People enjoy Orton but he isn't a big draw. That's the thing Punk could have brought 10,000 people back to the product but driven 30,000 away if it isn't what the majority wanted, the anti hero face was a gamble which wasn't needed to be taken.

I think Punk being the first guy to out-sell John Cena in merch in like 6 years or whatever it was is proof enough that people were enjoying his gimmick, not just smarks. It wasn't really a gamble either. They just took advantage of his shoot, really well, for the first month. He should have never faced HHH so early, but instead completely bury Nash to solidify himself.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
Anxiety said:
I think Punk being the first guy to out-sell John Cena in merch in like 6 years or whatever it was is proof enough that people were enjoying his gimmick, not just smarks. It wasn't really a gamble either. They just took advantage of his shoot, really well, for the first month. He should have never faced HHH so early, but instead completely bury Nash to solidify himself.

Orton and Hardy both outsold Cena at some point I believe.
Can't be bothered to look for Orton but I'm sure I heard that somewhere.
http://web.archive.org/web/20090729084929/http://www.wweshop.com/

Money In The Bank drew a high buyrate but Summerslam flopped on the previous two years. So it depends on how you judge it, not to mention that I think ratings fell when ever he wrestled.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
I read that those were literally a one week thing, most new products (for over superstars, and good products) will out sell Cena for a week or two then drop back to the typical 5th, 6th places. Punk was on top for months. It's like Xbox games. MW3 for example will always be a top 20 game, but when gears of war, or fifa, or a new game comes out it'll out sell it until it stops being hot and it'll dip under mw3 again. Summerslam drew poorly because of how shit the story-line went. Punk returning instantly in a one vs one against Cena, it was quite obvious who was going over at Summerslam, and it was obvious Del Rio was cashing. Though I suppose the argument is about casuals.

MITB was when the story-line and his push was at his prime, Summerslam was the end. I don't think any one can deny that they should have kept his previous character in comparison to this new vanilla midget Cena.

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
As far as I can see in Hardy's case it wasn't just a one week deal it happened multiple times even when Jeff was gone.

Punk needed to go into being a clean cut babyface to get the majority of the audience behind him imo, I'll say it again society isn't keen on the shades of gray. It happened to Orton and it happened to Punk. They can be short term tweeners but booking around that won't work for the exact same reason the Attitude era style show wouldn't work any more. The majority don't want it. Look at all the fans who chant Cena sucks yet he's still the man who has the most interest. Of course this whole Punk thing is speculation but to me keeping him tweener wouldn't have been a strong business decision.