The moment you got hooked...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

1chiban

Reaction score
This is a spinoff from the 25 day wrestling challenge thread. I thought I'd start a thread as I think it's a really interesting topic.

Simple question: What moment/event first got you hooked on wrestling?

For me it was the 1997 Royal Rumble match where Stone Cold Steve Austin screwed Bret Hart out of the match. I hated Austin so much as an eight-year-old kid!!!

Here's the other answers from the original thread to get you thinking:

That's easy. The first match I really remember and the one that made me become a huge fan was Ted DiBiase vs Randy Savage @ WM4 in the finals for the titles. I have been told that I was watching before that but I have little recollection of that and I certainly wasn't hooked just yet.

First saw Summerslam 89.... As satellite TV first began to kick in in the UK, the Simpsons & WWF were the talk of the classroom and VHS tapes stated to circulate (via the few rich kids who had everything, of course!).

Savage, Hart Foundation, Demolition, Warrior, Zeus (lol) all grabbed my attention, but I guess the big moment that got me was Warrior recapturing the IC title against Rick Rude... He was so over and it seemed like SUCH a big deal!

...Almost immediately developed a disliking for Hogan - Was just too Americana and goody-goody for a 12/13 yr old that had already starting to get into 'edgier'/out there stuff like HipHop, Metal, Horror films and such.

Reaction score
For me it was the 1997 Royal Rumble match where Stone Cold Steve Austin screwed Bret Hart out of the match. I hated Austin so much as an eight-year-old kid!!!

I was there. Just an awesome Rumble despite everyone on the undercard participating in the Rumble due to such a thin roster. But I remember Austin kickin ass and sitting on the turnbuckle checking his watch, fuck he was a heat machine. My uncle was at the Shotgun Saturday Night the night before where Austin was doing commentary and was like "this ain't the Terry Funk show, son" and got into a friggin awesome brawl that saw him and Funk brawl in a tub of beer. Just good shit.

I really can't explain what got me hooked, I was brought up with the stuff. My earliest memories are the WM 3 Hogan-Andre build up and back then Titan used to use San Antonio as a home base city, they'd run cards at the Freeman Coliseum monthly, so I was frequent visitor there. I was also brought up with World Class tapes and Von Erich love, and also loved the NWA stuff that was going on. The Hogan era WWF made me a fan, the variety of stuff I was exposed to got me hooked. Even as a young child I could differentiate the styles of WCW and WWF, WCW felt more real and sometimes would scare me a bit with the blood. But the charisma that WWF superstars had appealed to me as well, especially the Rockers, Demolition and Warrior. Plus, the WWF had way better action figures than the cheap un-poseable WCW figures and the WCW bend 'ems. But I remember always loving watching Flair matches, just seeing the guy bleed and have it flow through his white hair was a sight and I remember staying up late to catch he and Bobby Eaton at the Clash of the Champions. Such an under rated match and it would be Flair's last big WCW moment. Man, I miss being a young mark.

1chiban

Reaction score
Quick question about the Rumble '97 for you then, Enzo - was the WWF in the middle of its agreement with CMLL at that point hence the Mexican talent on that show?

Mike Chaos

Reaction score
Bret Hart vs HBK WM 12. Pretty much after that match I was hooked. I took a few breaks here and there from watching but the Attitude Era will always be my favorite time. Up until a few months ago I still watched some episodes of RAW and PPV's from that time period on justin.tv

Reaction score
Quick question about the Rumble '97 for you then, Enzo - was the WWF in the middle of its agreement with CMLL at that point hence the Mexican talent on that show?

I really don't know too much about that relationship except that a very fat and washed up Mil Mascaras did nothing in that rumble. And how pissed I got hearing Dok Hendrix bucher his name saying Mascaras as mascara, like the makeup. I do believe that relationship netted the e the very under rated Essa Rios. Anyone ever know what happened to him?

1chiban

Reaction score
Currently working for CMLL as Mr Aguila, apparently.

KenFan4life

Reaction score
Think it was in like 97, my cousins and I always hung out with each other, so we were playing those "WCW/NWO" games and we'd always watch those 1 hour videotapes about a wrestler. (like Goldberg: Who's NExt?, The Rock Says!, Undertaker: Phenom!). And we were kids so we'd be like, instead of trading pokemon cards, we were trading wrestling action figures and shit.

Me: "Yo', I'll trade you my Kane for a Goldberg."
Cuz: "Nah homie, I'm gonna need a buff bagwell for insurance!"