The Mandela Effect

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score

Have you ever experienced it yourself? I have...

Sex in the City - It is actually Sex and the City
The tip of Pikachu’s... I remember it being tipped in black and it isn't.
Many people get this one and have gotten this one wrong: “Luke, I am your father.” wasn't said in the movie.
“It’s a beautiful day in the neighborhood.” is actually wrong... He says THIS not THE.
Curious George had a tail... NOPE. He never had one.

Is it a glitch in the matrix of physical reality? Or is at as simple as our memories being unreliable?

Last edited:

Closed

The Game
Banned
Reaction score
It's always going to be Sex In The City to me.

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
Can explain the Pikachu tail.

The black outline on all the sprites in Pokemon Yellow makes it look like it has a black tip, when it never did in any of the anime or subsequent releases, just the brown part at the base. And also maybe because the tips of Pikachu's ears are black, so people associate that and expect the tail to have it too.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Not sure why I missed this the first time around. I believe it is nothing more than memory error

I've experienced the Mandela Effect. I remember the Berenstain Bears with Stain at the end. I remember a movie with Sinbad playing a Genie. I remember "Luke, I am your father." But "Luke, I am your father" makes no sense. Read the dialogue that way:

Vader: Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father
Luke: He told me enough. He told me you killed him.
Vader: Luke, I am your father.

Why would he address him as "Luke" at that point? Luke was aware he was talking to him. Doesn't this make more sense:

Vader: Obi Wan never told you what happened to your father
Luke: He told me enough. He told me you killed him.
Vader: No, I am your father.

The reason people remember it wrong is because they don't ever quote the first two lines. They only quote the "I am your father" line. So naturally, to convey the full meaning of the quote, they give it context by showing that Vader is speaking to Luke." It's easier to quote "Luke, I am your father" that doing all three lines. And just quoting "No, I am your father" doesn't indicate that we are talking about Vader and Luke at all.

I'm a cognitive psychologist. That means I study the parts of the brain and how they function. A major part of my education has to do with memory. And absolutely everything about the Mandela Effect can be explained by the simple fact that our memory actually sucks. First, there is no such thing as a photographic or eidetic memory. People have claimed there is but not a single person has been able to prove it under controlled conditions. Not only that, but we are not even close to being aware of everything that is going on around us. We only perceive what our brain thinks is necessary for us to perceive at any time.

Our brains tend to leave out things that are not necessary and they will often see things in a way that is easier for us to experience it. For example, the Berenstain Bears. Our mind can tell us it is the Berenstein Bears because were are familiar with "Stein" at the end of a name than Stain. It's familiarity and our brains like that. It's easier to remember something we've seen before than it is to create a new idea.

And an argument for the Mandela Effect is how can so many people have the same wrong memory. That's easy enough to explain. If I am capable of making a memory mistake, that memory mistake is being made for a reason. Our brains work all work the same way and with the same stimuli to work with, it makes sense that people will make the same mistake.

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

Nikki Nitro

The Beast
Champion
Reaction score
I guess they call these mistakes "Spoofs" or "Easter Eggs". I do know what ya mean. My Mother can point these things out while we're watching a movie. (It does get annoying after awhile.)

Abigail West

Reaction score
The Mandela Effect is defined as "the phenomena when a big number of people remember the same false recollection, something that never happened or happened differently," in case you didn't know. It got its name because, on a huge scale, people mistook Nelson Mandela's death in jail in the 1980s for something else. He passed away in 2013 after a long illness.

The famous theory of Pikachu’s Black Tail, Someone, somewhere, must have mistakenly assumed that Pikachu's tail is black-tipped. Its black-tipped ears or the fact that Pichu, its previous baby-Pokemon form, had a totally black tail might explain this. It might also be due to fan art. The 'false recollection' of Pikachu's black tail eventually spread throughout the public, leading to widespread belief in a black-tailed Pikachu. check out for more detailed explanation about this theory