The Lana/Putin Angle

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Trip in the Head

Jester of Darkness
Reaction score
I'm not really feeling this whole angle. I know its just a play to get easy heat on Rusev, but its been done so many times before. There are plenty of other ways to get heat in WWE besides playing the anti-America card. Especially with a hot chick on your side to cause distractions at ring side. I thought maybe it was a one time deal at ER, but I see she did it again at RAW. Lame.

What do you guys think of it?

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Tbh I've stopped watching his matches, as soon as the bell rings its my official smoke break, but I agree about the anti america card being used wayyyy too much.

Green Jesus

The Showoff
Reaction score
Were it a one-time thing I would be fine with it, it was actually pretty clever, wwe however has a bad habit of going back to the well too many times when they feel like something has gone their way. I also think the anti-american gimmick should have died with bret hart(I did enjoy it when cesaro played it, though)

Reactions: RedDwarfTechy

Trip in the Head

Jester of Darkness
Reaction score
Were it a one-time thing I would be fine with it, it was actually pretty clever, wwe however has a bad habit of going back to the well too many times when they feel like something has gone their way. I also think the anti-american gimmick should have died with bret hart(I did enjoy it when cesaro played it, though)
Yeah true, but then Cesaro became a "Real American"

#WWELogic

:facepalm:

Reactions: RedDwarfTechy

Samalan

Champion
Reaction score
I personally don't have a problem with it and it is easy heat. I do see a problem considering the current situation Russia and Putin are currently in so it was risky.

Green Jesus

The Showoff
Reaction score
I personally don't have a problem with it and it is easy heat. I do see a problem considering the current situation Russia and Putin are currently in so it was risky.
The thing I do like about these gimmicks is how much sense they make, as a non-american, I usually agree much more with the heels about the USA related subjects than the babyfaces's patriotic bullshit

Nero_x3

The Architect
Banned
Reaction score
Seems like a cheap attempt to try and get the heat they got from Sgt. Slaughter's Irani sympathizer gimmick.

The GOAT

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
Cheap heat personified. It'd be a lot better and less generic if there was actual legitimate tension between America and Russia at the moment (which, if I'm not mistaken, there isn't... then again, I exist in my own bubble and don't pay much attention to real world events.)

Typically, the time when Anti-American gimmicks work the best is when the country that the foreign heel is representing is at odds with America in real life. Just look at all the ones that drew the most legitimate heat - Nikolai Volkoff (Russian in the 80's during the height of the Cold War who would sing the Russian National Anthem and wave his country's flag around), Sgt. Slaughter (American turncoat who became an Iraqi sympathizer during the Gulf War), La Resistance (a French tag team at a time when the French were being made fun of for not insisting us in invading Iraq), Muhammad Hassan (Arab knocking America and borderline praising terrorists just a few short years after the 9/11 attacks happened... drew such tremendous heat that they had to kill off his character and remove him from TV completely), etc.

Trip in the Head

Jester of Darkness
Reaction score
Cheap heat personified. It'd be a lot better and less generic if there was actual legitimate tension between America and Russia at the moment (which, if I'm not mistaken, there isn't... then again, I exist in my own bubble and don't pay much attention to real world events.)

Typically, the time when Anti-American gimmicks work the best is when the country that the foreign heel is representing is at odds with America in real life. Just look at all the ones that drew the most legitimate heat - Nikolai Volkoff (Russian in the 80's during the height of the Cold War who would sing the Russian National Anthem and wave his country's flag around), Sgt. Slaughter (American turncoat who became an Iraqi sympathizer during the Gulf War), La Resistance (a French tag team at a time when the French were being made fun of for not insisting us in invading Iraq), Muhammad Hassan (Arab knocking America and borderline praising terrorists just a few short years after the 9/11 attacks happened... drew such tremendous heat that they had to kill off his character and remove him from TV completely), etc.
Theres a little bit of tension over the whole Russia/Ukraine issue. Nothing like the old days though

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
Cheap heat is cheap heat. If you're going to cut this stuff out, you have to cut out walking out in the rival team's jersey or badmouthing the home team who just lost the Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, World Series, MLS Cup, whatever they do with basketball, etc.

wk

Trip in the Head

Jester of Darkness
Reaction score
Cheap heat is cheap heat. If you're going to cut this stuff out, you have to cut out walking out in the rival team's jersey or badmouthing the home team who just lost the Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, World Series, MLS Cup, whatever they do with basketball, etc.

wk
Ehhhh I guessssss, but I think comparing teams and countries is a stretch (unless its soccer or the Olympics I suppose)

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
It's fine, I guess. I don't think they should put Putin's face up there every week or anything, but if they're just going to go with Rusev as a destroyer but who's now Russian instead of Bulgarian (yeah yeah I know, not exactly the change they did but I don't feel like wording it correctly) it's alright.

pottsy946

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
yeah. makes no sense to me as Leo said they billed him as Bulgarian not Russian, so the Putin shit is kinda lame, if Lana is alledgedly talking Russian in the intros then Rusev would need to speak Russian and Bulgarian to be involved, yeah too many rng elements for it to work for me (but guess as a fellow european it's easier to pick up on that)

So the angle isn't working for me, but looking on the bright side she has big boobs, so i would beleive anything she said :boss: