The Ladder Match

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
118do3a.jpg

Alright, as some of you already know, I've never been a huge fan of this particular style of match. Generally I think it doesn't allow for the type of story-telling that I like to see in my wrestling matches. Of course I'm willing to admit that some have been great over the years, but on average I find I'd much rather watch a good old singles, cage or even Falls Count Anywhere match than them. However, I was just reading an interview with Bret Hart and came across this quote....

Bret Hart via 411 Mania said:
"They had a great match at WrestleMania X but it wasn't the wrestlers that were great, it was the match that was great".
Clearly it seems that Bret may still be a little bitter about Vince stealing the ladder match idea from him even though he didn't really create it. Besides that, he also seems to think the match itself transcends the performers in the ring. I ask you, is that truly the case or is the match made by the individuals involved?

Personally I think it's a lot more of the second, since certain wrestlers are just better at working their psychology into the ladder match itself. I'm pretty sure no three tag teams could have pulled off the ladder portion of TLC II like the Dudleys, Hardy's and E &C could. At the same time, I have a hard time believing anyone in 1995 could have done a better job than Ramon and Michaels in their second one at Summerslam.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Definitely the second statement.

There's a difference between a spot fest and a genuinely good wrestling match. Guys like Kofi Kingston for example are known for their high flying antics in a ladder match, but are lost in singles ladder matches because they don't have 3 or 4 other people to cover for them whilst they set up spots.

Meanwhile, you have guys like Jericho, Christian etc. who can work an effective match with only two people involved.

I will say the match is kind of over done now though. Even the MitB matches don't have the same excitement to them because they've been done so much.

Mitch Buchannon

Free Palestine
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
roderickstrong
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan
Favorite Wrestler
kyleoreilly
Favorite Wrestler
kotaibushi
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Favorite Sports Team
u6DnU5I
The ladder match just doesn't have the prestige anymore. I had no problem with the MITB PPV at first, but I had a major problem with them having Sandow lose his cash-in match. What was once a way to give certain wrestlers the push they need has now become another way to shove John Cena and Randy Orton down our throats.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Shawn and Scott are known for being great wrestlers and they brought that into their match so Bret is full of hot air. Like you guys said, some wrestlers are spot monkeys that thrive in ladder matches but Shawn and Scott are both great in whatever match.