The Jim Cornette Appreciation and/or Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Swamps

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
ceaRtck
The fact that it went out of business shows it sucked.

It doesn’t matter if those in a niche bubble liked it.

ECW is another example, it sucked, no matter what excuses Paul Heyman makes it simply wasn’t good enough to generate enough people to watch, most didn’t like it, even if a niche bubble did.

No it doesn't mean it sucked. I was actually hoping you would catch my "intentionally " omissions and choices of wording (something I also do when having political discussions to see if the person knows what they're talking about,, or just being a lemming and following others) but I'll give you the run down.

I apologize if anyone has mentioned some of the things I'm about to discuss. I didn't read every post in the past few pages. I know Deezy has discussed some of these in the past.

SMW ran from 1991 to the end of 1995. What occurred during this time frame? The 90s Wrestling Recession. What does this mean? No one was really drawing during this time. Both WWF and WCW were not having their best years. However, the pre Hogan WCW years were good shows. Even though the Recession occurred, SMW were selling out shows in Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Georgia. Hell, the sold out the Cobb County Civic Center with Jim Cornette vs Bob Armstrong as the main event. Hell, WCW and WWF couldn't sell that place out with a house show. WWE can't even get 6K in Columbus and Macon any more. Those places are growing, but interest in wrestling isn't at the moment.

Now, it costs money to run any business. Basic accounting skills will show you, even if you make $30,000, your total amount of expenditures could leave you with only $1000 of disposable income. What are these expenditures, you may ask? Wrestlers Salaries, vendors Salaries, hired security (a requirement in the State of Georgia and most other states), rental fees, promotion fees, etc. Without a major television deal, you don't get that advertisement revenue. Another advantage that the larger promotions have. You also don't get that exposure to a national audience. WWE gets a good chunk of change off of the candy company that sponsors them.

Let's also look at what else happened during this time frame. WWE brought Cornette over to help get their monster heel champion, Yokozuna, over. So more of his time was deflected from his own promotion to the WWE. Cornette, would eventually become a full timer in WWF and one of the more interesting pieces of the company at that time. Guess what else happened? Most of his talent were signed to WWE. Most ended up only appearing on a few episodes of Superstars, but they were given spots on House Shows and frequented the USWA. Also, WWF purchased the rights to the video library. So Cornette got a good job and got paid for his promotion. Not exactly going out of business when someone else buys your stuff, gives your employees positions, and puts you in the main event to save their promotion.

On the topics of Wrestling Recession, we are currently going through one now. Maybe AEW will take off, so WWE can get serious and we have some decent Wrestling again.

RLStern

Refuter of Revisionist History
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
Did you bother reading my post?

Anyway, SMW wasn't about "gymnastics". It was old school wrestling. You know Cornette wouldn't have booked that type of wrestling on his shows. Something tells me, you are seriously reaching.

Also, I don't think I mentioned ECW. However, they did not get a TV deal until 1999. This was a 3 year contract but TNN didn't honor the contract. ECW was even the networks highest rated show too. Was even shown in the early morning hours. You remember what happened at the end of 2000? WWE and USA parted ways, and WWE moved to TNN. Yeah, Vince pretty much sunk ECW with that move, and then purchased the company for peanuts. Let's forget that ECW was owed money from In Demand for their pay per views, San Francisco Toy Company for the action figures, etc. Its not hard for your liabilities to outweigh you assets when you have bad business partners not holding up their end of their agreements. Yes, Paul E takes a lot of slack for not paying wrestlers, but its hard to pay them, when you aren't getting paid neither. Let's also forget that ECW shows were selling out, and they couldn't keep their merchandise in stock because fans were purchasing it like hotcakes.

No, I’m talking about your mental gymnastics in the post, not literal gymnastics.

Re read my response or better yet let me copy and paste with an edit:

A bunch of mental gymnastics to defend SMW, none of the companies drew because the products sucked. Especially SMW, hence why it went out of business, if it was good it would draw.

Once WCW got good in 96... it drew.

Once WWF got good in 98... it drew, then when they got really good at the end of 98 entering 99 with The Rock, they beat WCW.

SMW sucked so much/drew so low because they had the worst product.

It’s the same reason why ECW went out of business, they weren’t good enough to draw.

Kross Rhodes

Israel Has the Right to Exist
Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I'd be interesting in hearing when the box thing ever drew money, tbh.

I mean that probably didn’t. But if SMW was selling out shows then it drew fans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swamps

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
ceaRtck
I'd be interesting in hearing when the box thing ever drew money, tbh.

That is something I would actually have to look up. I remember hearing that mentioned, but I don't know if it was a joke or real. In other words, I'm legit clueless on the box thing.

The only time I remember a box being used was the Chainsaw Charlie debut. That didn't really do much.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
That is something I would actually have to look up. I remember hearing that mentioned, but I don't know if it was a joke or real. In other words, I'm legit clueless on the box thing.

The only time I remember a box being used was the Chainsaw Charlie debut. That didn't really do much.
A couple people that were there have confirmed it was a thing he legitimately said at the time.

Jim also goes along with the joke as there's a tweet where he repeats it. Jim would lose a gasket if there was no truth to it.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
So what the fuck does ECW have to do with a JIM CORNETTE THREAD.

Mox Girl

Resident Mox fangirl
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Wrestler
SethRollins1
Favorite Wrestler
8zeSJYf
Favorite Wrestler
theshield
Favorite Wrestler
jtPFFXH
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Yo, forum mod here. If you guys wanna discuss ECW, please make a new thread and keep this on topic. Thank you.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
If you want to discuss the details of ECW's finances, that's fine. Make a new thread about it, or better yet, I will make a thread for you guys. But this is the Jim Cornette thread. If you want to talk about Smoky Mountain Wrestling and its financials, then either here or a Smoky Mountain Thread itself is the place to do it. Please do not get involved in side-tangents that derail the thread from its original topic.

Kross Rhodes

Reaction score
Website
wrestlingsmarks.com
Favorite Wrestler
emma
Favorite Wrestler
YA1yyED
Favorite Wrestler
frmoJZU
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Sports Team
WYT3shw
Favorite Sports Team
fRXTMaD
Favorite Sports Team
LechI0u
Favorite Sports Team
RHZ7KJg
Guys, we don't really need 4 separate mod warnings about the topic. It's not that serious. We got it. Get back to Jim Cornette. Once is good.

Reactions: RLStern

Hidden Blaze

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
4? I only see 2 saying to move it along. I suck at math.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLStern

Refuter of Revisionist History
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
kurtangle2
Guys, we don't really need 4 separate mod warnings about the topic. It's not that serious. We got it. Get back to Jim Cornette. Once is good.

Ok my fault.

Swamps

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
ceaRtck
Jim Cornette had a really good eye for spotting future superstars. Hell, he found Candido, Sunny, Lance Storm, and Y2J. Lets not forget that he was in charge of OVW during the time Batista, Cena, Orton, Benjamin, AND Lesnar all went through.

Dude slapped Santino and told Brock he would shoot him. Cornette has more balls than a lot of us do.

Reactions: Hidden Blaze

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Jim Cornette had a really good eye for spotting future superstars. Hell, he found Candido, Sunny, Lance Storm, and Y2J. Lets not forget that he was in charge of OVW during the time Batista, Cena, Orton, Benjamin, AND Lesnar all went through.

Dude slapped Santino and told Brock he would shoot him. Cornette has more balls than a lot of us do.

I feel like the whole Brock situation is taken so out of context these days. What he *did* say was that Brock's attitude would someday get him shot. It was mostly a tactic to get Brock to fuck off and behave himself for once.