The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
The_Incredible_Burt_Wonderstone_47.jpg

The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

Director:
Don Scardino

Starring: Steve Carell, Steve Buscemi, Olivia Wilde, Jim Carrey

Release Date: 15 March 2013 (US)

Plot: Superstar magicians Burt Wonderstone (Steve Carell) and Anton Marvelton (Steve Buscemi) have ruled the Las Vegas strip for years, raking in millions with illusions as big as Burt's growing ego. But lately the duo's greatest deception is their public friendship, while secretly they've grown to loathe each other. Facing cutthroat competition from guerilla street magician Steve Gray (Jim Carrey), whose cult following surges with each outrageous stunt, even their show looks stale. But there's still a chance Burt and Anton can save the act, both onstage and off, if Burt can get back in touch with what made him love magic in the first place.

This is released next weekend in most markets around the world. I am looking forward to this and am probably going to head to the cinema to see this. I like the plot, can't remember the last comedy focussing on magicians, and the cast is strong. Good seeing Carrey back and David Copperfield will be making a cameo as well. He was a technical consultant on the film as well so we know that the tricks will be spectacular.

Anyone else tempted to see this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
The magician plot could be pretty hilarious, ut I'll wait and see what other people think before I see this just because it could be a big flop as well.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
With this concept and the people involved, this will either be the funniest movie or worst movie this year. Can't see a middleground here.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
There's usually not much of a middle ground with comedies anyway. They're either fucking hilarious or terrible.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Well there is a free slackers club screening this week in Brighton (for us students) so I hope to give it a look, not the best concept but a strong cast.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Went and saw this today and it was good. Actually really well structured, they go through the years at a good pace to set up the current predicament. The name of Jim Carey's show is brilliant, it is a take on Chris Angel's Mind Freak, I won't spoil it here but it is good. Carell does over the top well in this film, sometimes he can be a bit too over the top in his other works but he has the right balance here. Good story, well executed by the cast and just an enjoyable movie to watch.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Didn't go to the free screening in the end, but may still check it out at the pictures, have not read any reviews (apart from Troys) so don't know what the critical response will be.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
It is getting slaughtered in the reviews, critics have panned it completely.

It is getting slaughtered in the reviews, critics have panned it completely.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I never read reviews. Only time I'll read or listen to a review is if it's a friend of mine. This movie looks funny, I love the entire cast, I'm going to go watch this thing regardless of the reviews.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Never take critics seriously, most are 88 year olds who hate comedy, and are only critics because they can't do anything else of merit. Plus they get pan movies that are guaranteed success so they can get money to praise some boring movie with limited releases and would never be seen by anyone otherwise.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Yeah, I'm with the others, fuck critic reviews. I planned on seeing this this weekend hopefully.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I generally like everything anyway. So honestly, I never saw the point in reading reviews or listening to critics. We have one dude who's on Canada AM(Morning news show) and he is by far the worst critic ever. Gave Argo like a 3/5 stars. Since finally seeing Argo, I don't think I'll ever trust that guy.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Yeah I don't listen to reviews either just wanted to point out to Keith that for the most part it is getting bad reviews since he mentioned he hadn't seen any other reviews. Maybe the critics had unrealistic expectations because of who is in this movie, plus as I mentioned it felt more like a romcom than a straight up comedy so maybe that disappointed them. For me it was still an enjoyable movie, I didn't walk out of the cinema thinking that I had wasted my money like I have done a few times before.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I generally like everything anyway. So honestly, I never saw the point in reading reviews or listening to critics. We have one dude who's on Canada AM(Morning news show) and he is by far the worst critic ever. Gave Argo like a 3/5 stars. Since finally seeing Argo, I don't think I'll ever trust that guy.

But you can't group critics all under the same umbrella, like anything else there are good critics and bad critics. For a film like this I would consider a good critics perspective, because I am undecided on whether it is worth seeing or not, whereas if it was Coens brother film I would go reguardless.