The Gimmick Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

noumenon

Pretty simple... here's the place for us all to talk about all of WWE's past and present gimmicks.
Discuss your favorite gimmicks of all time...least favorite of all time..whatever.
Also the current state of character devolpment, who do you think is due for a gimmick change..and what should it be?
Any gimmicks you'de like to see resurface?

Currently I'm gonna have to say I love Orton's character. I don't think we've ever had a wrestler with a diagnosed mental illness before...(except Eugene..lol). He's doing an amazing job as a heel and it's pretty obvious this is gonna be the gimmick to take him to the next level. Only complany....IED is linked to steroid use.....so..uh...that's not good.lol

I think Jericho is doing a great job of portraying a new type of heel he's never attempted before. I'de be lying if I said a part of me is anxious for the day we get to see WCW/early WWF Jericho once again. One of my favorite gimmicks of all time.

I think Taker's gimmick is also getting extremely stale. I don't think it would hurt much to open him up a little and bring back a few aspects of the American Badass. Which also ran it's course but if they can find a balance between the two I think it would really do a lot for Taker. And I remember reading that Taker actually preferred that gimmick since it's a lot closer to his real life persona.

LKP

Jericho's heel character is amazing i love it. I can honestly say i like jericho always have done since i saw him in wcw 98 on thunder i loved that guy also. I remember he had a manager called ralphus so funny fat guy with no teeth. If they get some of that jericho back id love it.

Reaction score
Taker's gimmick has been stale for a while now. Im just not feeling it anymore.... Taker in the late 90's was awesome... but now this whole deadman think is getting annoying.

One of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE gimmicks right now...Randy Orton and the Legacy. They kick so much ass. The whole Psycho thing is amazing. Him and Jericho should NEVER be face again...and the IED thing..well..he has been caught with steroids before...so it links ok...

and Matt's new "Im Sick of being in Jeff's Shadow" gimmick is one i have been WAITING for....i had a feeling that was gonna happen at the rumble..and im glad it did....hopefully they are both in the Elim. Chamber(and Matt wins...cause Edge as Champ is getting boring, old, and annoying ALL at once.)

noumenon

Agreed, I'm happy Matt is getting the chance to play a different type of heel and not just rotting over on ECW for the rest of his career.

Reaction score
Agreed, I'm happy Matt is getting the chance to play a different type of heel and not just rotting over on ECW for the rest of his career.

lol rotting in ECW....Yea He has basically beaten everybody there...not to mention Mark Henry like 40000 times. Well he hasnt beaten my man Jack Swagger XD but Jack should leave too...infact...ECW and FCW should be combined... ECW is worthless IMO.

noumenon

Yeah...personally I think they should have gone with not such a clean finish in the Swagger matches to give Matt a little more momentum coming into this feud with Jeff.

LKP

I love Orton as the older forum members know. The reason why i haven't mentioned him much this time around is that i got called gay lol with orton once i kept on about him all the time. Orton is by far the best heel on raw,ecw and smackdown now apart from edge. He delivers his promos with ease and awesome intensity. He has the look and body of a top star. If he continues like this then i think the rock will have competition for best star in a while. The reason why i say rock is cause when he was heel he still got cheered just like orton is. But the rock saw it and answered back and it made him a star with his catchphrases. Orton will ignore the cheers making him more hated.

Reaction score
I love Orton as the older forum members know. The reason why i haven't mentioned him much this time around is that i got called gay lol with orton once i kept on about him all the time. Orton is by far the best heel on raw,ecw and smackdown now apart from edge. He delivers his promos with ease and awesome intensity. He has the look and body of a top star. If he continues like this then i think the rock will have competition for best star in a while. The reason why i say rock is cause when he was heel he still got cheered just like orton is. But the rock saw it and answered back and it made him a star with his catchphrases. Orton will ignore the cheers making him more hated.

Same with Jericho.
Except he gets Booed.... The whole hating the fans gimmick...magic....
The only thing...unlike orton...Jericho lost his muscles....but then again theres a 10 year age difference between them so..i wouldnt expect them to be the same Body Type.

Off Topic: I just wish Shelton Benjamin would go back face. He doesn't have the....voice or anything....of a heel....he needs to go back to being half bald, and win back his IC title... Hopefully MVP( one of my Smackdown Faves) will beat him for the US title..

LKP

I don't know what it is about Shelton Benjamin he has no charisma. He can get tiny boos and tiny cheers. He gets cheered a bit when he does a spot but that's it.

noumenon

I remember back on the Anniversary special of RAW the APA actually reunited to help out Hornswoggle I believe. I completely marked the fuck out, I loved the APA. Although Simmons just got released I would love to see them have one more run. Fuck JBL...bring back Bradshaw.

MikeRaw

Alright, I'm gonna break it into a few categories. Anyone else can use this if they want as well...

Most Stale(Current): Triple H
Most Exciting/Compelling (current): Randy Orton
Favourite (current): Edge

Least Favourite All Time: Golddust
Most Stale All Time: Hulk Hogan
Favourite all time: Stone Cold
Most Exciting/Compelling All Time: The Rock
Most Influential All Time: Hulk Hogan

Reaction score
As much as everyone rants about him, Goldburg's ... 'Monster Face'(?) Gimmick was my favorite of all time. The man was a beast, and people ate it up, even though his moveset was 4 lines long and he NO mic skills. Batista comes close to a present day version of that, but not really the same.

The Rock was amazing, of course.

Stone Cold, nothing more to be said.

Just to raise more chat, what say you about Flying Brian Pillman's gimmick?