The ECW Original: A Dying Breed

• Thread starter THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps
  • Start date
  • Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

THE Brian Kendrick's Biceps

Back when WWE 'brought back' ECW, we saw mostly ECW Originals on the brand. But slowly, WWE has phased out the ECW Originals, as they want the brand to be something completely different. The only ones on the ECW roster that are Originals (off the top of my head, feel free to correct me) are Tommy Dreamer, and Super Crazy (is he on ECW or SmackDown!?). So they have slowly but surely taken them all off. Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

To me, it's a good thing in terms of how it should be now. This is a new ECW, so I really don't want to see the Originals being associated with it. It is completely different. So I'm quite happy with things the way they are.

Thoughts?

Haight

Reaction score
It doesn't matter to me who weather its the originals or new guys. My problem with ECW is that it doesn't seem hardcore enough. In all honesty, I feel like I'm watching a bunch of girl scouts trying to fight each other every Tuesday Night. Teddy Long is boring as hell and the commentators sound like little boys whispering secrets to each other. I would like to see ECW "Man it up" just a little bit more. On the other, I'm 32 years old so part of me is still stuck in that Nineties mentality. My age group doesn't represent the demographic that WWE is targeting and I understand this. I also understand WWE's need to distance yourself from the original model of ECW and establish their own identity. That's fine....I just can't watch it.

MikeRaw

Just catching on? This could've been said months ago, in fact, it's not a dying breed, it IS dead. The way it should be.
I like and respect everything ecw was, but there's no need for it to be here now. The guys are all too old, and just not reliable enough now. I like how it is now, with alot of young guys, but out of respect, wwe should ditch the ecw name.

Airfixx

Once you accept that it's in no way, shape or form like Heyman's ECW, it's actually a decent show if you're simply looking to see some no-frills (WWE-style) wrestling matches.

If it went by any other name I doubt many people would bitch about it.

It's fine, albeit blatantly the C show.

kingovkings

Reaction score
I don't really watch ECW a whole lot, But when i do watch it which is getting more frequent i think its pretty good now i never used to but its grew on me. The wrestling is really good IMO. A name change wouldn't hurt either as it's not Extreme but yeah. I think its fine the way it is. It isn't the old original ECW but that was then, This is now its a different show from back then. And if you want the old ECW rent or buy a DVD and quite bitching about it.

Enigma22

Reaction score
i think tommy dreamer should definitely be on ecw and he should get a title push one day but i like the rest how it is. i wouldnt mind seeing the dudleys or some other origionals come back tho so it doesnt matter to me...

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
It's a good thing, I was already getting tired of an announcer saying "ECW Original" every 5 seconds whenever Dreamer was on screen. As much as I liked the old ECW, some of the Originals that were brought into the new one didn't really belong in the WWE, where a couple of other guys from other shows could get a chance to shine.

CenaMark54

The ECW is doing its job. Its creating new stars (Punk, Bourne) and gives career midcarders a chance to reestablish themselves and audition for the main event (Hardy, Morrison).

The last thing it needs is people who had no talent in the 90's coming in and taking TV time away from those who have a future in the business.

Cenaspinner84

Reaction score
Im glad that all the old wrestlers are gone cause i wanna see new guys come on there and grow on the show and get moved to other shows like sd and raw. and make those shows better for the next generation.

Airfixx

i wouldnt mind seeing the dudleys or some other origionals come back...

What would be the point of that exactly? ..Especially The Duldeys (or any other tag team)? ECWWE doesn't even have a tag division.

Austin_316

Reaction score
I feel ECW is a pointless brand and has been ruined because it's not the same. It was supposed to be the land of hardcore but now is just the same as the other brands: family friendly. Over the last 10 years WWF/E has become family friendly and we have seen a decline in bloody matches and special main events that have brought in such a wide audience. Some matches are still around like HIAC, Ladder match and that match between HBK and Y2J but are only seen on PPV's. I never liked ECW that much but it was a lot better than it is now.