The Demise Of Damien Sandow

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
He's got a good point about Jinder and Drew though Deezy.

@rawisrey The difference is though that Sandow is getting mic time every week which is a lot easier to get over with than fighting a midget without any mic time like Drew and Jinder had to do. Look at the member of 3MB that kept his job, it was the one that's already gotten over before with his mic skiills.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Jinder and Drew were always just secondary characters to the original gimmick of Slater.

Pretty big difference than say someone like Santino or a Fandango, if those two had an entourage, I'm willing to bet that the entourage would go before they did. Sandow is solo, with all the focus on him.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Really Sandow just has far more talent than those mentioned.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Really Sandow just has far more talent than those mentioned.
Than he should have no trouble overcoming these supposed obstacles, there is an old saying "the cream always rises to the top" "you can't stop talent". If He is more talented than a guy like Santino who has been around since 07, than playing dress up should be a piece of cake.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
If given the right push yes, you may disagree but a wrestler getting over for me is 50/50 push and his talent. Not saying Sandow is main event material, but he has it to be at least a strong upper-mid-carder.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
If he isn't going to be more than midcard, what's the beef with this current gimmick run? he has TV time, he trends on twitter with these segments and will be remembered for it. I hinestly don't see what he is supposed to be other than a guy who entertains the audience.

Not everyone should be a serious character, even indy leagues have their comedy characters and most if not all of them are not as entertaining as Sandow is in this role

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I don't have a beef per say. Also I said upper-mid-carder. What I was saying is that by putting MITB on him WWE speeded up his progression, where as if they built him slowly and then put the brief case on him he may it may have seem more logical.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
That or they gave him a suit case and have him lose in order to break up the predictability of winning that briefcase, like how Cena cashed in and didn't win. Gotta keep the audience on it's toes.

Weez

Reaction score
@deezy LOL For the Bubbles Gif. Thank you. Made my night.

To redirect here, and I hate to say this but I think Sandow is the guy who has the LEAST Potential and was LEAST Ready of anyone who's held the briefcase. At least in my cursory glance back in my head, I can't think of anyone who was less ready or deserving. Punk's 1st briefcase was cool for me, but neither He nor the WWE were ready for that. But in fairness, losing the WHC was when he really took off. Love him or hate him, he made good after that. (Well, until January anyway lol)

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I wouldn't have seen Sandow as a MITB holder or main eventer either. I like him and happen to think he belongs in the mid card.

Think is, I'm still more disappointed than thrilled with how they've handled Sandow (the intellectual savior version) because the character still has no depth. This is a general problem I have with modern WWE but still. Damien can handle the mic and he knows what he wants to be, so why is he not booked as an antagonist in prolonged feuds more often? Isn't that what's supposed to happen in wrestling when you want to build up a match? Have two guys cross each other over something, getting in each other's business, talking shit, attacking each other until it all culminates in a big match we're now invested in the outcome of.

I know I sound snark but I'm asking why Sandow doesn't get booked like this with a rival more often, because he should. His feud with Cody Rhodes is the only memorable thing he's ever done apart from the failed MITB run. I just see a confident promo guy going to waste when he could be more useful putting over someone in a longer spanning feud who's about to be pushed. Leave the dumb, breaking-up-the-action comedy skits to Santino or Slater. Yes Sandow is inherently funny but at least he's been booked like a half-decent competitor before.

If the idea is to change Sandow's gimmick already just to get him over then WWE's writers are being lazy. It reminds me of Ned Flanders' parents: "We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas!"

Last edited:

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
I wouldn't have seen Sandow as a MITB holder or main eventer either. I like him and happen to think he belongs in the mid card.

Think is, I'm still more disappointed than thrilled with how they've handled Sandow (the intellectual savior version) because the character still has no depth. This is a general problem I have with modern WWE but still. Damien can handle the mic and he knows what he wants to be, so why is he not booked as an antagonist in prolonged feuds more often? Isn't that what's supposed to happen in wrestling when you want to build up a match? Have two guys cross each other over something, getting in each other's business, talking shit, attacking each other until it all culminates in a big match we're now invested in the outcome of.

I know I sound snark but I'm asking why Sandow doesn't get booked like this with a rival more often, because he should. His feud with Cody Rhodes is the only memorable thing he's ever done apart from the failed MITB run. I just see a confident promo guy going to waste when he could be more useful putting over someone in a longer spanning feud who's about to be pushed. Leave the dumb, breaking-up-the-action comedy skits to Santino or Slater. Yes Sandow is inherently funny but at least he's been booked like a half-decent competitor before.

If the idea is to change Sandow's gimmick already just to get him over then WWE's writers are being lazy. It reminds me of Ned Flanders' parents: "We've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas!"

This post is possibly closest to what I think. Also isn't the point of MITB that it gives a guy the best part of a year to grow?

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
This post is possibly closest to what I think. Also isn't the point of MITB that it gives a guy the best part of a year to grow?

Sure, but dude I can't even remember anything that happened when he held the briefcase and iirc he cashed in kinda quickly anyway, so how much good did it really do him? The feud with Cody might have happened during that time but that was just a brief, solid feud in of itself to end their partnership. One of the main reasons I honestly watch wrestling every week is to follow ongoing storylines as well as the action. I often feel there's a shortage of the former these days where strong promo hands like Sandow could flourish.

You know, I'm not bummed about him cashing in and losing in of itself, may as well be a guy like him you can laugh at. And while he's gotten weekly TV exposure ever since and still does, doesn't it feel like until now he had just lost all momentum from not really, well, doing anything?

Back on topic a bit... Obviously I don't think Sandow's current angle is the right way to push him but we'll see how it goes. I said before if he ends up getting over out of nowhere like Barrett I'll be proven wrong. But we just have to wait and see how this plays out because the idea might not even be to push him up the card. Maybe it's to establish him as a lower-card comedy type, or turn him sympathetic and babyface? Seriously don't know where they're going here.

Last edited: