The Black Phone (2022)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
The mask freaks me out and Hawke's mannerisms in this film. He really has it nailed down.
Kind of the point, lol, and yeah Ethan is/has been good horror. Kind of like Elijah Wood who has been killing it

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Apoho Creed

Making Love to my Demons
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
m4aw1gh
Favorite Wrestler
oLvrzSU
Favorite Sports Team
hPPsgSL
Favorite Sports Team
hlbgCD9
Favorite Sports Team
guuKKYL
Favorite Sports Team
Um6oxIS
Fun fact, the mask is based on the Lon Chaney Sr. character from London After Midnight

Oh really? I've been watching some older films the past few days now I can put that on my Watchlist.

Reactions: Marty McFourth

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
Oh really? I've been watching some older films the past few days now I can put that on my Watchlist.
Yeah, I am a big old school horror fan, so I figured it out quickly as the director even said he took the idea of it from there so. If you watch The Babadook it takes inspiration from the same movie as well.
Lon_Chaney_London_After_Midnight_Portrait.jpg

Daddy Deville

Big D Energy
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
iHVgAJe
Favorite Wrestler
eIHNFff
Favorite Wrestler
6SLLEQr
Favorite Wrestler
flCHARR
Favorite Wrestler
hasWyGM
Favorite Sports Team
buffalosabres
Favorite Sports Team
3lUNnUV
Favorite Sports Team
K12LIMS
Favorite Sports Team
T5Zw0Si
Plot twist its a white phone

• Haha
Reactions: Alexa

Marty McFourth

Indy Wrestling Connoisseur
Reaction score
Nice, I'll probably get around to it at the weekend hopefully

After scaring up $100 million worldwide, Scott Derrickson‘s The Black Phone is now headed home to On Demand outlets this Friday, July 15, 2022, Bloody Disgusting has learned.

The film, meanwhile, is still playing in theaters, currently in the #6 spot on the box office charts and making $62.3 million domestically. A huge win for non-franchise horror cinema!

Meagan wrote in her review of The Black Phone for Bloody Disgusting, “Derrickson and Cargill revive the same traits and structure of Sinister to transform Joe Hill’s short into a feature-length nightmare full of ghostly kids, violence, and a trio of unforgettable performances.”

Starring four-time Oscar nominee Ethan Hawke in the most terrifying role of his career and introducing Mason Thames in his first ever film role, The Black Phone is produced, directed, and co-written by Scott Derrickson, the writer-director of Sinister, The Exorcism of Emily Rose and Marvel’s Doctor Strange.

Finney Shaw, a shy but clever 13-year-old boy, is abducted by a sadistic killer and trapped in a soundproof basement where screaming is of little use. When a disconnected phone on the wall begins to ring, Finney discovers that he can hear the voices of the killer’s previous victims. And they are dead set on making sure that what happened to them doesn’t happen to Finney.

The film’s screenplay is by Derrickson & C. Robert Cargill (Doctor Strange, Sinister franchise), based on the award-winning short story by Joe Hill from his New York Times bestseller 20th Century Ghosts. The film is produced by Derrickson & Cargill’s Crooked Highway and presented by Universal and Blumhouse. Jason Blum, Scott Derrickson and C. Robert Cargill are producers on the film, which is executive produced by Ryan Turek and Christopher H. Warner.

Reactions: Swerve

Marty McFourth

Indy Wrestling Connoisseur
Reaction score
Bump for you guys that have Peacock. Definitely worth getting on it, looking to be my favourite horror movie at the end of this year.

Been a while since I picked up a Blu-Ray, but I might actually end up getting that too. That's how much I enjoyed this.

One of this year’s best horror films, Scott Derrickson‘s The Black Phone is coming to DVD and Blu-ray on August 16, but you won’t have to wait until next week to bring the film home.

Beginning RIGHT NOW, The Black Phone is available on Digital and streaming exclusively on Peacock. That means if you subscribe to Peacock, you can watch the film free of charge!

Meanwhile, here’s everything you need to know about the physical/digital release…

EXCLUSIVE BONUS FEATURES on BLU-RAYTM, DVD & DIGITAL:
  • DELETED SCENES
    • Is This America Now?
    • No Dreams
  • ETHAN HAWKE’S EVIL TURN – Dive deeper into the character of The Grabber and how Ethan Hawke was able to transform into this unnerving villain.
  • ANSWERING THE CALL: BEHIND THE SCENES OF THE BLACK PHONE – Take a behind-the-scenes look into the most pivotal elements of THE BLACK PHONE production, including adapting the story and achieving the vision of director Scott Derrickson.
  • DEVIL IN THE DESIGN – Explore how the intricacies of production design helped bring this film to life, from the set design, to costumes, to hair and makeup.
  • SUPER 8 SET – Cast and crew break down the decision to shoot the dream sequences on Super 8 film, and how that helped capture the aesthetic of the time period.
  • SHADOWPROWLER – A short film by Scott Derrickson
  • FEATURE COMMENTARY BY PRODUCER/CO-WRITER/DIRECTOR SCOTT DERRICKSON

Reactions: Swerve

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I enjoyed it. Very Stir of Echoes esque. But enough differences.