The Attitude Days

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wrestlings Finest

Reaction score
The attitude days were the best ever days in wrestling history stone cold and vince a rivaly which went on for about a year and a half what do you think good old days or what?

Airfixx

At times it was great, but WWE these days, is at times better than it's EVER been...

I think the Attitude era is so revered because it was so many peeps's introduction to and 'honeymoon' period as wrestling fans...

straight_edge76

I grew up on teh ATtitude era so no matter what happens in the future it will always have a special place to me.

noumenon

Yeah it was great... but ya know, I think it's just the time where most of us got into wrestling so it'll be the time that's remembered most fondly by us. It was definately the raunchiest and edgiest time in WWE history.
But as said... some things right now are better than they ever have been. We're building new incredible stars in the company. Guys like Randy Orton and Edge who I guarentee 10 or 15 years down the road we'll be talking about the same way as we talk about guys like Austin and the Rock now.
We'll say...."Ugh...look at the way this company is....look at ________, what a fuckin dick. Remember the ________ era with Orton and Edge!? That was the shit."
It's true.

straight_edge76

Good point, the majority of fans will say that because like most of us they are being brought up in this day and age. Before us there was a large group that said that about the era before and so on and so forth. I will always be an Attitude era kinda guy, each era of professional wrestling has its good and its bad. The 'Tude era brought forth alot of the names that are still the biggest names today (Undertaker, Kane, Edge, HHH etc.).

noumenon

Absolutely. But the same thing applies. After this era is over I'm sure we'll still have some of these guys around. Orton and others will still be here long after HHH and Taker are gone (well, I have a feeling HHH is kinda MARRIED to the company now). Anyway, 10 years down the road Orton and others will be the last remnants of their generation. And young kids now will be in their 20's just like me remembering how great "their" era was.
It's the same concept as music.

Airfixx

The 'Tude era brought forth alot of the names that are still the biggest names today (Undertaker...

Taker is NOT a product of the Attitude era.

He debuted n 1990!

Look at the gimmmick... Purpose made to fit the 'unstopable threat to Hogan' mould.

Wrestlings Finest

Reaction score
To tell the true i prefrered the attitude era more then wwe now if there was one wish i could have for the wwe is that thay bring the old days back

monkeystyle

Reaction score
The attitude era was as much a product of a massive culture shift as it was competition for ratings. At the time television itself was in somewhat of a massive upheval due to what might be cynically referred to as the 'culmination of the desensitization of the masses' or just simply more a shift towards 'adult oriented entertainment.'

The only reason the WWE at the time took off the way it did in regards to mainstream popularity was due to the fact that Vince got in on the ground floor of the movement. So his product was edgy, shocking and at times, hip. This lent Vince's product the spotlight it needed to draw in masses of new fans.

Was the attitude era as good as we remember? Let's take a look at DX. They were huge during the attitude era. However when HHH and HBK reunited DX a couple of years ago, they were met with a lot of antipathy because their humour was so juvenile. News flash folks, they weren't really doing anything different than they did back in the much vaunted attitude era.

Fact of the matter is, Vince really hasn't stopped using the attitude era style of story telling and shock completely. He does, we just shit all over it almost every time it's done because at this point it's so passe.

Don't let nostalgia cloud your memories. There were good things about the attitude era, much as there are good things about the current era of wrestling. There were also the awful things that still happen to this very day, but for some reason we gloss over those.

Evil Austin

I agree but Monk the thing about shit guys is that everyone on the roster had a storyline going. Everyone had something to do. Everyone had their own feud.

Besides the Main Event of Austin, Taker, Mankind, Kane, Rock, Triple H, Michaels, Hart, Vince etc.

There were roles and storylines for even the lower card that is why people loved it. There were no jobbers cause everyone had thier own thing happening like that Val Venus thing where they chop of his penis. The Brood and Mae Young and Mark henry. And more I just don't seem to remember alot as I am typing but you get the point hopefuly.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I agree but Monk the thing about shit guys is that everyone on the roster had a storyline going. Everyone had something to do. Everyone had their own feud.

Besides the Main Event of Austin, Taker, Mankind, Kane, Rock, Triple H, Michaels, Hart, Vince etc.

There were roles and storylines for even the lower card that is why people loved it. There were no jobbers cause everyone had thier own thing happening like that Val Venus thing where they chop of his penis. The Brood and Mae Young and Mark henry. And more I just don't seem to remember alot as I am typing but you get the point hopefuly.

Agreed, I've said the same thing in defense of the era as well. however that was not a by-product of the attitude era. In reality this should be something that occurs regardless of the current wrestling era. The reason this doesn't happen is nothing more than lazy booking. Which is an affliction every era suffers in one way or another.

SnackZ

Reaction score
Funny how the only thing I miss about the Attitude Era is the competition that it made between WWE and WCW. I loved sitting down on a Monday night and deciding/choosing whether I would watch Raw or Nitro, there were definitely some weeks where Raw was jsut unbearable for an hour and 45 minutes of the show and I can't say that it was the best Era ever unless I change it to the Monday Night War Era. Sorry.

C4

You're right, the days of the Attitude Era were some of the finest episodes of RAW history but not the best.

If you've actually been a part of the evolution of the Attitude Era then you're going to notice that it isn't as 'fantastic' as it seems today. What we see on DVD today is just a compilation of some of the best moments of the Attitude Era. That doesn't necessarily mean that the entire period was 'awesome'. Yes there were some amazing things done storyline-wise, some of the best characters were developed in the course of just five years or so and 90% of the gimmicks back then were successful, wrestling was mainstream, it was extremely popular, it helped the business as a whole.

But if you would have been present at that time and would have watched the entire episodes of RAW week after week then they wouldn't be as 'exciting' and 'thrilling' as they seem today, everything got pretty much boring and stale soon, it looks good today because we're looking back in time... but in reality, it wasn't all that great.

MikeRaw

Time to move on. Please.
It's been brought up many times.
But you know what? It was great, now it's a memory, move on. They can't keep doing tha forever, or the product would fucking suck, because there's only so many things and angles you can do.
I enjoy wwe now, and eventually, they'll bring in more attitude, and I'll enjoy that to.
It's a show, and it goes through cycles.

J

Taker is NOT a product of the Attitude era.

He debuted n 1990!

Look at the gimmmick... Purpose made to fit the 'unstopable threat to Hogan' mould.

Idk technically Undertakers American Bad Ass gimmick was apart of the Attitude Era. It was more towards the ass end but it was still there.