Thank you to the entire TWC staff

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rated PG-13

Reaction score
Final Playoff Spot

NEW YORK (AP) -The Montreal Canadiens made their road to the playoffs that much harder.

With one game left in the regular season, the Canadiens need to win at Toronto on Saturday night to ensure that hockey's most storied franchise will have a shot at a 25th Stanley Cup title.

Winning a single game to control their own destiny might not seem to be the most daunting task, but the Canadiens' 3-1 loss at the New York Rangers on Thursday night was their eighth defeat in 10 games away from Montreal. A victory on the ice of their fiercest rival is far from a sure thing.

Add in that the Maple Leafs also need the game to have a chance of getting into the playoffs, and the contest shapes up to be one that captures Canada's attention.

"You will have two teams playing for their season," Canadiens coach Guy Carbonneau said. "It is going to be a great game. We have to focus and re-concentrate."

Carbonneau might not get much sleep between now and when the puck drops on Saturday night. He must decide who to start in net, the incumbent Cristobal Huet - who lost his job during a lengthy injury - or the surprisingly sturdy backup Jaroslav Halak.

Huet played for the first time in 22 games Thursday when he came on in relief of Halak to begin the third period. Halak, who had won seven of eight starts, was pulled after he gave up three goals on 25 New York shots.

By then it was 3-0, and Huet's job was to keep the Rangers in check. He did by stopping all eight shots he faced, but the Canadiens offense mustered only Sheldon Souray's power-play goal.

"That's one of the reasons we put Cristobal in net. I wanted him to see some pucks in a game situation," Carbonneau said. "Jaro has been unbelievable. He is the reason we are here now. There is no way I blame him.

"Cristobal has the experience."

Where the Canadiens are now is in eighth place, the last open spot in the Eastern Conference playoffs. The Rangers got in with Thursday's win and carried in the Tampa Bay Lightning with them.

Now Montreal, Toronto and the New York Islanders are competing to see who will be the eighth club. The Islanders stayed alive by virtue of the Canadiens' loss and a 5-2 victory over Toronto at home.

The Islanders only avenue to qualify for the postseason is to win at Philadelphia on Saturday and at New Jersey on Sunday. But if Montreal beats Toronto, then the Islanders and Maple Leafs will both be eliminated Saturday.

"We knew if we lost (Thursday), we had another chance on Saturday," Carbonneau said. "I wish we came out a little harder and gave ourselves a chance and not have Saturday be the night."

The Canadiens are only 16-21-3 on the road, quite a contrast from the friendly confines of the Bell Centre where they have won nine straight. But they won't play there again this season unless its in the playoffs.

Not even a hearty section of young Montreal backers, who waved flags, banners and supportive signs, blew horns and cheered from the front of the upper deck throughout the lackluster performance, could lift the Canadiens out of the road doldrums.

"Go Habs Go," the chants went before being drowned out by full-throated cheers of "Let's Go Rangers," as New York took control of the game with a quick first-period goal. Two more scores in the second sealed Montreal's fate Thursday.

"We didn't have the urgency early as well as the desperation we have been playing with the last few weeks," Souray said. "They got a good jump on us. They were able to get the momentum, get the lead, and they kept it throughout. We just sat back."

Carbonneau decided to keep the team in New York on Thursday night, delaying the arrival into the enemy territory of Toronto as long as possible.

"Nothing has come easy for us," Souray said. "We're going to need a real good game come Saturday. It's for everything. We have our game to make it in."
------------------------------------------------------
What's your opinion on the games coming up and who do you believe out of these three teams will make the playoffs? For me it's the Leafs!!

The_Edge

Reaction score
The Place Where Americans Think Always Snows
^Really now, you cheer for the Leafs...NO FUCKING WAY!

Actually...I'm going for the Habs...I was never a Leafs fan, though, when I was a young kid, I actually cheered for the Habs.

So I'm hoping the Habs will win the game.

BUT!

Sens own all.

Rated PG-13

Reaction score
^^ Your cheering for the Habs... but in your Playoff thread you have the Leafs as the 8th seed prediction..... kinda funny when you think about it. Oh, Sens may own all right now, but don't think they're getting past the Penguins in the first round. Go Leafs Go!!..... Go Crosby Go!!

monkeystyle

Reaction score
My dear sweet Satan.

My eternal soul is yours if you can please just have the Habs walk all over the Leafs tonight.

I know it will happen with or without your intervention, but if you could also turn Mats Sundin into a muskrat that would be just super.

Hail Satan,

Monkeystyle

The_Edge

Reaction score
The Place Where Americans Think Always Snows
^^ Your cheering for the Habs... but in your Playoff thread you have the Leafs as the 8th seed prediction..... kinda funny when you think about it. Oh, Sens may own all right now, but don't think they're getting past the Penguins in the first round. Go Leafs Go!!..... Go Crosby Go!!

Those were predictions, this is what I want. If that thread was for I wanted, I'd have the Sens and Canucks in the finals and the Sens winning.

Rated PG-13

Reaction score
^^ True, but don't forget you DO have the Canucks as the Stanley Cup champs in your predictions. So that is actually what you want LoL

Rated PG-13

Reaction score
^^ They don't have a chance in my mind. It's been Luongo keeping them in it all the time and now it's his first playoffs where I don't think he can handle the pressure. It's quite possible that it could be the Devils and Canucks at the end and I'm pretty sure I don't even need to say which goalie will come out on top there

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
For the last couple days I've been wanting to make this thread. Since it is now out in the open that the staff knows who Harry Danger and I are I want to officially thank them for letting us return. I'm not sure if you all noticed at first with the account I made who I was, but I am glad it is out there now.

I have loved my stay so far. It's been over a year since I have been a regular on any wrestling forum. I tried others I just could never get into it. The members didn't stick out and weren't as memorable. One thing about a good forum is you need a good supporting cast to keep you coming back. I love discussing wrestling here. I hope to be able to do so for as long as possible. Over the time since I came back I joined several things on the site that have even made this experience even better from the prediction league to the debate league. Those are things I really like doing. On top of that the edition of the new e-fed here has been great. I had not even been a regular e-fedder for 8 years. It was great to get back into the swing of things.

It's been really fun and I'm not sure how much longer it will last as I said prior. However, I will enjoy every single minute. I want to continue to help this forum grow and I will continue to be active. If there was one positive thing I can say about my past I can say it's that I always active in usually every section. If I didn't make a thread like this it wouldn't be me. I like to ramble on and on whether I'm ranting or raving.

The site itself is fantastic. The community of members is great. The staff is a very understanding group. I don't want to get into the whole Bully thing right now. He and Danger's spat has hopefully ended. His e-fed is very solid and is tremendous edition to this site overall. I've noticed new members already joining just for it.

Jesus, I am starting to sound like Steve Corino in his recovery angle in ROH nowadays so I will stop.

Thanks.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua