Taking a chance with Mania

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

noumenon

Reaction score
Over the past year WWE has finally pulled the trigger on quite a few young stars, allowing them to have the titles, the spotlight and really run with the ball. Guys like Sheamus, Wade Barrett, Miz and others have truly carried the company this year and made some damn huge strides in their careers as well as advancing the company in general.

Every year Mania features the same people in the main event spots, just with different pairings. Orton, Cena, Triple H, Undertaker, Edge. I say enough is enough this year. I know the argument... "But these guys can't sell... no one wants to see them." I just don't think that's true anymore. I think it's the complete opposite. No one wants the same tired main events at Mania anymore. Give these guys a chance to shine at Mania and truly see what they can do. So what do you guys think... is it time for some youth to shine in the main event at Mania?

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Truth is it doesn't matter. WWE could sell Wrestlemania with Carlito vs. Charlie Haas as the main event because...it's Wrestlemania and it's WWE. Nobody currently on the roster is big enough to make a real difference as far as buyrates, and nobody is bad enough (Well, Khali maybe) to drag it down. For entertainment value i'd suggest a young guy and an old guy. (SD title match...that whole brand is meaningless.) Cena vs Del Rio for example. That way the star power's there and WM is the one show where losing clean to a top star can still raise a young guy's profile to such an extent.

Cena/Undertaker would be the most special match they could have though. I'd try and set that up sooner rather than later.

sharkboy 3:16

Reaction score
I definitely think they should have a couple of young guys in the Main Event but not all young guys, you still need a veteran or two in their just for the star power but I could see Sheamus and/or Miz in the Main Event, Miz with the belt or Sheamus with the KOTR title match would be good but theyd probably throw Orton, HHH or Cena in the Main Event either for star power or because they would be to lazy to come up with something else for them to do. Barrett is over but I don't like his in-ring work, I think he could still wait awhile before Main Eventing Mania, he hasn't been there all that long. From Smackdown the only young guys I could see Main Eventing next would be Del Rio who I like. Most of the young guys on SD have gotten more popular and better as well but theyre still moving through the midcard ranks imo, the likes of Dolph, Rhodes and Kofi, Drew's probably the only one who hasn't done much as of late, he wa built up well from the start but has slowed down. Swagger has also slowed right down and isnt doing anything so I dont see them main eventing anytime soon.

I do think the young guys should be main eventing, just not all at once, they should try it this Mania and see how the fans react to the newer guys in the spotlight, once they realize thats what people want to see theyll begin to do it more imo.

Reaction score
Truth is it doesn't matter. WWE could sell Wrestlemania with Carlito vs. Charlie Haas as the main event because...it's Wrestlemania and it's WWE. Nobody currently on the roster is big enough to make a real difference as far as buyrates, and nobody is bad enough (Well, Khali maybe) to drag it down. For entertainment value i'd suggest a young guy and an old guy. (SD title match...that whole brand is meaningless.) Cena vs Del Rio for example. That way the star power's there and WM is the one show where losing clean to a top star can still raise a young guy's profile to such an extent.

Cena/Undertaker would be the most special match they could have though. I'd try and set that up sooner rather than later.

I've been saying that forever, but the fact of the matter is that the WWE has marketed itself as one giant draw as opposed to the Hogan-Austin megastar days.

As far as Taker-Cena goes, that is indeed their only trump card, money match they have on the books. Neither have touched each other in over seven years, both are their biggest attractions and it would just be too easy to book this, even as a face vs. face match. But hell, it would draw so much more if Cena were heel, even if it's for one month, ala Hogan-HBK.

seX-Power

Reaction score
lol @ saying Haas/Carlito would sell, fact is, if they're pushing that as their main event with no absolutely huge match to back it up, it won't sell on name alone when it costs $55 or however much.

but yeah I wouldn't mind seeing Morrison or ADR in main events this year, but only with veterans or more established guys.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Like Enzo said, they market the WWE name as the big deal, not anyone in it as the must see guy. Jobber vs. Jabroni could sell because it would just be a graphic on their Raws and SDs to show. What they'd be hyping and wanting people to buy on is "WWEs Biggest Extravaganza of the year!" more than the matches. (Which will hurt them in the end, and it's already hurting them. (There's a lot of things that are wrong and dropping their profit like a lead weight though.)

Things just seem to be in such a lackluster this year that it makes me think the WWE has an ace in the hole ready with Brock Lesnar. White is playing all his cards perfectly if there is some secret deal in the works. Lesnar transcends WWE's marketing strategy since he's a more relevant name than anyone on the roster and it's not close. If they have him in the bag, a couple thousand more buys could be in the cards based on him alone.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
I totally agree that WWE should start putting more faith into their young stars. I would hate for Miz to lose the title and be dropped out of the title picture before maina to set up a Cena/Orton match. I think this year is time for something different. The Rocks, Austins, Takers, etc didn't become top draws by people telling them "you're not that big of a star to main event". I think any match can look good or bad on paper, but if Miz/Morrison was going to be the main event and the build up was top notch, the fans would pay to see it either way. With the match being at Wrestlemania, it adds more meaning to it; thus, it will sell just as well as Cena vs. Orton #67.

Airfixx

Reaction score
2 things I don't want:

* A 3-way title match... (Please save that shit for the B ppvs and transitional title changes.)
* Cena v Miz.

....Gotta assume that Cena is battling for The Streak or the WWE title tho'.

Predictions:

Edge (c) / Del Rio
Miz (c) / Cena
HHH / Sheamus
Taker / Barret

(Notably, one new guy per match with a vet'.)

Reaction score
Just so long as it's not Wigger Jorts or HHHitler in the main event, then I'm fine with whatever.

Kaedon

Reaction score
I can't wait to see the Miz try and close the show against anyone because it will fail MISERABLY. Wrestlemania is where you showcase the best of the best, not the best at the moment. Today's young crop is year(s) away from doing that, even if they have been shoved, many have failed to get over. The following guys can carry the main event load at Mania currently

Taker
Edge
Rey
HHH
Cena
Punk
Mysterio
Orton
Big Show

Thats it. Anyone else maining, even WITH one of these guys, is a PIPE DREAM!

No, I can see it now, the main event of Wrestlemania The Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler. ITS GOLD JERRY!!!

Montana

Reaction score
Give me CM Punk vs. John Cena on Wrestlemania and i'll be a happy camper.

HTK said it best. Use the veterans you still have to help establish the younger guys.

CMS

Reaction score
Give me a break. I am the first one to defend WWE when it comes to their young guys push, and with the way their roster is, it's almost not even an option, they will have to give young guys high profile matches.

But please don't start with things like for example demands of Wade Barret and Alberto del Rio or John Morrison main eventing Mania, only to then flip off like WWE made a cardinal sin when it doesnt happen. As I see it, nowawadays, when midcard is slim and WWE can easily throw your ass in a 10man MITB match, youre lucky and indeed fortunate if you get a one on one match, specially if like two out of the three names I mentioned above, you dont even have a year on the active roster.

MizMasta3000

Reaction score
I understand that but who really wants to see Cena vs. Orton #393230139493? I just want something fresh at Mania this coming year and I do understand that there needs to be a middle ground. You're out of your mind if you think that Miz vs. Ziggler can main event (without the desired excellent build up I talked about in my first post). Thinking about it, I think HHH and Cena are at the point now where they can put the same energy into selling a main event against a fellow megastar that they can put into a feud with a rising star like Barett, Miz, Sheamus, etc.

Axis

Reaction score
I almost wouldn't mind Cena vs Orton main eventing Wrestlemania this year, just because I'm not sure we will ever see them both as co-#1 faces come a Wrestlemania again. They've had some fantastic matches one-on-one, though never at 'Mania. And maybe Cena could pull a good match out of a face Orton, since nobody else could. Dunno. It wouldn't be my first choice, but I would love to watch it develop as the IWC pre-determined to hate it no matter what.

Airfixx

Reaction score
^^^ To be honest, I'd have no problem with it if they DID do it this year... Bearing in mind we've yet to have the inevitable 1-on-1 at Mania (somethng I WOULD like to see regardless of the general IWC-hate), I'd certainly prefer it now whilst there is a freshness about Orton (see his current face-ism).