Supernatural Experiences (Do you believe in ghosts? thread)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
Okay, here goes. First off, a couple of ground rules:

1) Be respectful. What I am about to share are a few experiences I have had. While I am aware that I cannot prove there was any sort of supernatural involvement with them, you cannot prove that there was no supernatural involvement with them. And I think it's a little more realistic that something odd was involved rather than that people (none of whom were familiar to me from my life) would go to such lengths to perpetrate such elaborate hoaxes on little old me.
2) I don't ask you to believe what I say, but I do request that you not belittle those whose opinion is different from yours. Really, this goes back to the first ground rule, but I don't think it's an idea that can be too often stated, particularly in our current society.

The first experience happened about a year ago and it's the one I find the most "questionable", because I was under the influence of pain meds (hydrocodone/acetaminopher 10mg/325mg, which is a pretty decent dose, but not the highest one I've ever taken) while I was in the hospital. In preparation for it, I should tell you that my Dad's parents died a week apart (six days actually) in February of 1987, when I was 10 years old. My mother's father died in 2007 of lung cancer; my mother's mother in October of 2011 after a long battle with dementia and worsening overall health; and my father in September of 2012, all five of them in the town of Tyler, Texas, where I grew up. In December of 2012, 5 days before Christmas, I suffered a severe break to my right ankle that has required four surgeries due to various issues. After the second surgery, the complication of a severe infection in my ankle occurred, said infection finally traveling to my lungs. I was hospitalized for two weeks, the first of which, there was a significant danger of my not surviving. During this time, in addition to my wife and mother being regularly at my bedside, I was also regularly visited by all four of my grandparents and my father, who sometimes spoke to me and other times just held my hand or "sat vigil" with me. As my situation improved, the incidences of their appearances lessened. As I alluded to before, this was not my first experience with surgery or painkillers, particularly Vicodin/Norco (two of the brand names under which hydrocodone are marketed), but I do partially discount this experience due to the pain medications. Still, it was quite comforting and my mother recently told me during a visit that she often felt the presence of others in the room with us during my hospital stay and that she'd seen men outside my room that reminded her of my father and both of my grandfathers as she had known them during their lives.

Between Tyler and Jacksonville, Texas, on U.S. Hwy 69, there is a sign directing you toward a strange memorial called the Killough Monument. The story is that the Killoughs were a settler family in east Texas in the mid-to-late 19th century. Due to a dispute with a local American Indian band (I believe they were supposed to either be Cherokee or Apache, but I'm not sure on that....it's been a while since I did any research on the event), the Indians (yes, I call my people "Indians") approached the settlers and a conflict erupted and ended with most of the Killough family dead and their homestead burned to the ground. A stone obelisk has been constructed there, and some graves have been consecrated, and the site has been dubbed the Killough Monument. I was always oddly drawn to the Monument, which is a usually very quiet and peaceful place which has few visitors. It's just generally a nice, quiet place to reflect (and, I'll even admit, to make out with girls). I went out there alone when I was in college on one occasion. As usual, there was the "somebody's watching" vibe going on that there usually was around the place, but there were no sounds and nobody visibly around. After a while, as I was feeling a little disturbed out there that particular day, I got in my car and started it up to drive away. After I started the car and put it in reverse, I checked my side mirror and there was a person standing there. It didn't look hazy or "ghostly"; just like a real solid person standing there behind my car, a teenage boy. Since I had been the only one out there for the entire 30 minutes I'd been there, it was a little shocking and I had the flash thought that, this time at least, there was someone else out there visiting the Monument. When I turned around to back out, the person was gone. I turned the car off and got out, looking for the kid, and there was nobody around. I was a little spooked when I got back into the car and the same exact kid was standing in front of my car now. I blinked and he was gone. So, I started my car and went to drive away. As I left the little parking area, I saw a group of about six or eight people standing in the parking lot where my car had been, the teenage boy in front of the rest of the group, but, when I stopped and turned to look back without the mirror, the group was gone. I've been back about a dozen times or more since then and, while I often have the "somebody's watching" vibe, I've never seen anything else along those lines.

I was staying in the Crockett Hotel in San Antonio, Texas, across the street from the back part of the Alamo. My girlfriend and I had taken a room on the seventh floor and had, after putting our bags in the room, gone out for dinner. When we returned to the room after dinner to put on our bathing suits and go to the hot tub, there was the smell of vanilla-scented pipe tobacco. Our room was a non-smoking room and, on our way to the hot tub, we went down to the front desk and mentioned it, where we were assured that our room had been nonsmoking for years and that the custodial staff would make a written report when they went into a nonsmoking room and somebody had been smoking and that no such report had been filed in that room in months. After the hot tub, where we had a bit of fun, we returned and the tobacco smell was gone, not that either of us would have noticed for the next bit of time, until we were done with our couple's shower. After we showered, we went to bed, exhausted and smiling, and went to sleep. I woke up about 3 a.m. and saw something across the room near the door (there was a little light as I often leave the bathroom light on in a hotel room with the door cracked, in case I need to visit the bathroom in the middle of the night, but I couldn't make out what I was seeing. I picked up and put on my glasses and looked to the area in question, where a man stood...or at least his top half floated. I couldn't see anything below about the rib cage, but the top part of him, up to and including the hat he was wearing, was clear to me. He was looking directly at me and appeared to be solid. He had a small, pencil-thin mustache and was wearing a gray hat, and he was smoking a pipe. The smell of vanilla-scented pipe tobacco reached my nose as he grinned at me, tipped his hat, then turned and "walked" (he didn't have legs I could see, remember) through the door to the hallway. I jumped out of the bed and rand to the door, where I (in all my naked glory) threw open the door. Luckily (considering how naked I and my girlfriend were), nobody was in the hallway going either direction. Of course, my springing from the bed had woken my girlfriend, who was quite interested in my tale and "rewarded my exploits" with another round of coitus (there were some nice things about being 23). The next morning, I spoke to the girl at the front desk while my girlfriend was finishing her breakfast (I happened to know the girl from our affiliations with a couple of Masonic youth organizations years before) and she shared with me that there had been several guest reports of ghostly experiences from the seventh floor and they all seemed to center around Room 711, the room we had stayed in the night before.

Last one (for now). When I was a kid (from about 7 - 11), my Dad was active with the drill team of the Masonic Knight Templar Commandery (long story), and they practiced on Saturdays at St. Johns Lodge on Front Street in Tyler. The day usually went: men practiced from 10:30 to 12:00 in the parking lot; women took that time for fellowship among themselves and preparing lunch for everybody; kids would play together in the "seating area" on the first floor; nobody went upstairs to the Lodge Room. Random Saturday comes along, I was 8, and I was the only kid who went that day. Men are in the parking lot; women are in the kitchen/dining hall; nobody's around little Wacokid27, who is exploring the building. I went up the stairs to the Lodge Room area on the second floor (one of those spooky, forbidden places that children don't go to on their own, you know) and saw that there was a light on in the Lodge Room. I went in (I mean, the door was open, so....) and saw an old man sitting in a chair near the dais in the east of the room. It was like he was talking to somebody, but there was nobody else in the room. As I walked in, he stopped talking and looked over at me. He was an old man, bald on top, but with long hair around the crown of his head and a beard that reached to his chest. He was heavy and his voice had a Southern accent and sounded, for lack of a better term, "cultured". He waved me over and I talked with the old man for a few minutes when he looked up and told me he thought my Dad was calling me. I told him "Bye!" and walked (you never run in the Lodge Room) out, then ran down the stairs, where I told my Dad about the old man in the Lodge Room. The other men, his fellow Knights Templar, looked at each other and went upstairs (it's a big deal when your eight-year-old son tells you there's an unknown old man sitting up in a room where nobody's known to be at....could be a bad guy) to find him. They looked all around that Lodge Room and the area upstairs only to come up empty. I overheard one of the men tell another that I wasn't the first person to see people up there that weren't there (after I joined that Lodge 13 years later, I would hear about the ghosts of old members that were often seen....and one old Past Master of that Lodge has since told me that he's seen my Dad in the Lodge Room since his death). Anywho, they didn't find anybody and everybody went down and had a quiet lunch. It was about 7 years later that I identified the man I saw that day as Albert Pike, when I saw a bust of General Pike in the San Antonio Scottish Rite Building. Pike, for historical fun, is buried in the House of the Temple in Washington, D.C., and his spirit apparently likes to visit old Masonic Lodge buildings, as there are myriad stories about his ghost being seen even in old buildings that he is not known to have visited (whether or not he was ever in St. Johns Lodge building in Tyler is a matter of some debate).

wk

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
I don't believe in anything supernatural (gods/spirits/angels/demons/exorcisms/ghosts/psychics/orbs/etc.) And being quite the perceptive/intuitive mind, it's pretty clear when I think about supernatural beliefs, I'm simply looking at beliefs that'll be looked back on centuries from now as merely the archaic superstitious beliefs of the time... much like we already look at witchcraft and the like today.

But putting that aside, my mother does believe, and she certainly believes in ghosts, and she's still sure that one day I'll have an experience with seeing one that will convince me that they're real. But it's been a decade and a half since she first said that, and still nothing on that end. I also find it awfully convenient that probably 80% of the time, people who say they've seen ghosts or spirits or whatnot are usually the kind of people whom are already interested in that sort of thing and already want to believe that they're real and exist anyway.

I know some people have stories and experiences that have convinced them that they're real (and often these stories sound... I don't want to say "convincing", but they do sound unexplainable on the surface), but when you balance those out with all the different stories of the paranormal that have been logically explained, and when you consider that some people with stories or claims about the supernatural have proven to be frauds (and the fact that all we know of in the universe thus far is purely material/naturalistic, which coincides with the non-existence of ghosts and other paranormal entities quite well), I see little reason to think there isn't some type of logical explanation to any and all other stories that someone has about the supernatural, be it ghosts or otherwise.

Call it presumptuous if you'd like, but that's how I see it.

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
Call it presumptuous if you'd like, but that's how I see it.

It's presumptuous. :dawg:j/k.

she's still sure that one day I'll have an experience with seeing one that will convince me that they're real

I hate it when people say this. Basically, my feeling is that it's, for lack of a better term, a matter of faith. If you believe in ghosts/supernatural forces/etc., then you will look at something unexplained and immediately assign a supernatural cause to it. But, if you don't, then it's likely you never will, for the simple factor that, when you see something unexplained, you will find a "logical" explanation for it, whether that explanation is really logical or not. We believe what we prepare our minds to believe.

In that, it's not unlike an atheist and a theist. When a theist looks at a beautiful sunset, or a field of flowers, or a gorgeous star-filled night sky, they see the revelation of God's mysterious goodness. When an atheist looks at the exact same phenomena, he sees the wonders of science. We see what we prepare our minds to see.

Does that make the revelation of God's existence lesser? To a theist, no. To an atheist, yes. It becomes a circular argument and there becomes little room for real debate.

wk

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
The weirdest thing that happened to me was this:

Back when I was 18 my uncle died of lung cancer. The night after we buried him I had a dream where he told me that my other uncle (who he lived with for a long period of time) always took his paycheques. I just chalked it up to being at the funeral and my brain trying to process what happened and had no idea what the paycheque thing was about. My bedroom was in the attic. I woke up after having that dream, walk down to the basement and who do I see talking to my mom? The other uncle that my dead uncle was talking to me about. Coincidence? A message from the other side? I still haven't figured it out. It's the only experience I've had that made me almost believe in an afterlife.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Loving these stories, personally i've never had an experience and I used to live next to a grave yard (mostly alone, except when my ex slept over) but nothing, I do agree its got a lot to do with faith and just at how you look at the world.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Did anyone else hear the story about the hospitalised blind-from-birth woman who said she had a supernatural experience where she and her family members were looking down on her body while she was in a coma and her family said it wasn't the right time for her to pass? The woman woke up afterwards and described what she looked like (blind from birth remember) from head to toe, and the doctors around her.

Wilby

Follower of Buzzards
Reaction score
I have never had a supernatural experience and I have never seen or heard a 'ghost' which is probably the reason that I believe neither exist.

Although I share this view I have nothing against those people that have had supernatural experiences or believe in ghosts. An example is that my sister says she see's our Grandma whenever she visits my mum's house, we all have a subjective opinion on topics like these and I appreciate everybody's stories/experiences that I read in this thread.

Reactions: Wacokid27

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
I've had a supernatural experience that I didn't experience alone, which adds some legitimacy to the story I imagine, but there's a pretty easy explanation that non-believers can jump onto.

We were out camping in a shitty tent in a place called "Ghost Town" -- called that because it's basically an abandoned warehouse in a stereotypical "scary" environment". Before we were even drunk, Craig and I decided to walk through this dark walkway which led to a small field with other abandoned buildings. Suddenly, we both heard AND saw this black figure run to the right of us, and we both turned at the same time to look at it. The figure was black and stopped to look at us suddenly for around 5 minutes, and then ran off again. We both described the figure word-for-word identically. We described how it moved like it was wildlife (like a rabbit or something) but looked like a human. The shadow -- the only word we can use to visually describe it -- was large and looked like a human so it's pretty inconceivable that it was actually realistic wildlife. No, it wasn't ACTUALLY a human either, because it ran off towards a dead end and was gone.

Now, you could say it was actually wildlife and the natural feeling of fear led to over exaggeration, but it was weird nonetheless. Later that night we all heard the noises that you always hear in these abandoned "haunted" place -- rocks being thrown, things falling and making loud noises, etc., but I won't add those to legitimize the story as there are very realistic explanations for those (like wind for example).

Reactions: Just Kevin

seabs

Walking the King’s Road
Reaction score
The weirdest thing that happened to me was this:

Back when I was 18 my uncle died of lung cancer. The night after we buried him I had a dream where he told me that my other uncle (who he lived with for a long period of time) always took his paycheques. I just chalked it up to being at the funeral and my brain trying to process what happened and had no idea what the paycheque thing was about. My bedroom was in the attic. I woke up after having that dream, walk down to the basement and who do I see talking to my mom? The other uncle that my dead uncle was talking to me about. Coincidence? A message from the other side? I still haven't figured it out. It's the only experience I've had that made me almost believe in an afterlife.

Oddly enough I had something similar, nothing to do with a paycheque or anything but a weird dream. My great granddad on my mum's side died when my eldest sister was born (around 6 years before I was.) Recently I had a dream about a man knocking on my window at night, I went to check it and there was a man stood there with a bunch of red roses. I remember him saying something along of the lines of "give these to your mum everything will be alright". Turns out I managed to describe him down to very few details such as the colour of the cardigan he used to wear regularly. I told my mum, turns out he planted a rose bush at his old house before he died. The strangest thing is I've been telling my mum about seeing a man at my window whilst dreaming since I was a kid, I was never scared really more comforted. I've seen one picture of him in my life as far as I know and I can't recall being told about the rose bush (I can't recall ever seeing my Great Grandma or her house.)

It was probably just my mind remembering a long past conversation with my mum but man it's strange to think about at times. Especially when she mentions I have a very similar set of mannerisms and attitude to him. I've never been very religious or even spiritual but thinking someone is out there checking over me is a very comforting thought.

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
I've had a supernatural experience that I didn't experience alone, which adds some legitimacy to the story I imagine, but there's a pretty easy explanation that non-believers can jump onto.

We were out camping in a shitty tent in a place called "Ghost Town" -- called that because it's basically an abandoned warehouse in a stereotypical "scary" environment". Before we were even drunk, Craig and I decided to walk through this dark walkway which led to a small field with other abandoned buildings. Suddenly, we both heard AND saw this black figure run to the right of us, and we both turned at the same time to look at it. The figure was black and stopped to look at us suddenly for around 5 minutes, and then ran off again. We both described the figure word-for-word identically. We described how it moved like it was wildlife (like a rabbit or something) but looked like a human. The shadow -- the only word we can use to visually describe it -- was large and looked like a human so it's pretty inconceivable that it was actually realistic wildlife. No, it wasn't ACTUALLY a human either, because it ran off towards a dead end and was gone.

Now, you could say it was actually wildlife and the natural feeling of fear led to over exaggeration, but it was weird nonetheless. Later that night we all heard the noises that you always hear in these abandoned "haunted" place -- rocks being thrown, things falling and making loud noises, etc., but I won't add those to legitimize the story as there are very realistic explanations for those (like wind for example).

Bigfoot.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Oddly enough I had something similar, nothing to do with a paycheque or anything but a weird dream. My great granddad on my mum's side died when my eldest sister was born (around 6 years before I was.) Recently I had a dream about a man knocking on my window at night, I went to check it and there was a man stood there with a bunch of red roses. I remember him saying something along of the lines of "give these to your mum everything will be alright". Turns out I managed to describe him down to very few details such as the colour of the cardigan he used to wear regularly. I told my mum, turns out he planted a rose bush at his old house before he died. The strangest thing is I've been telling my mum about seeing a man at my window whilst dreaming since I was a kid, I was never scared really more comforted. I've seen one picture of him in my life as far as I know and I can't recall being told about the rose bush (I can't recall ever seeing my Great Grandma or her house.)

It was probably just my mind remembering a long past conversation with my mum but man it's strange to think about at times. Especially when she mentions I have a very similar set of mannerisms and attitude to him. I've never been very religious or even spiritual but thinking someone is out there checking over me is a very comforting thought.
My brother has done the exact same thing. When he was four, he described my Grandad -- who died before my brother was born -- to the colour of his glasses. He said he had a pipe (what four year old even knows what a pipe is, let alone says someone is smoking one) and not cigs (was specific on that, so was Grandad). He said he saw birds around him (grandad was a bird watcher), and said he spoke with a funny accent (he was Scottish). He said the cardigan had little squares on and said he was always in his chair. I mean he described him perfectly; everything you can think of. He said that Grandad said all this stuff, stuff that Grandad would say. It was such a weird weird experience to listen to because he genuinely has never met him. We never really speak about him either... How can you explain that? He knew he was our Grandad before Mum told him as well. He opened the conversation with "Grandad said this..." before we even knew who he was talking about. Crazy stuff.

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
I saw a ghost clear as day when I was 14-15, and so did my brother at the same time. We both described it the same way.. a human shaped, opaque white figure in the doorway.

Wacokid27

The Dark Master
Reaction score
A couple more:

My senior year in college, I worked as the night manager in a hotel. The lobby area was in a separate building from the entryway to the rooms and had space that had held a restaurant a decade before which had been converted to the "breakfast area". The kitchen wasn't used except by the woman who ran the breakfast service who came in every morning at 5 and I locked the building up every night at 11 when my shift started (I used the time prior to make sure that every entry point was locked and the gym, public restrooms, and dining room/kitchen were empty prior to starting my shift). There were at least two or three dozen occasions where I would clearly see a man sitting in the dining room after my shift started. I had a clear view of the dining area from behind the front desk and I would look up and he would be sitting there. Sometimes he would be looking out the front window, sometimes he would appear to be engaged in conversation with someone I couldn't see, and other times he would be staring at me (those times particularly creeped me out), but I realized fairly shortly what must be happening due to the fact that there would be nobody there, I would look up and there he would be, then I would look away/look down to what I was working on/etc., and then I would look back up and he'd be gone. I mentioned him one day to the woman who worked the breakfast service (the owner of the hotel's wife) and she told me she'd seen him, too, and described him to me in nearly perfect detail. She said she often saw him standing in the kitchen while she was working on breakfast. He never seemed to be trying to scare her (or me) and, in fact, seemed more to be watching over things than anything else.

On Washington Avenue in downtown Waco, Texas, there is an old Masonic building that is three stories in height (plus the basement). This was long the center of Masonic activity in Waco and housed several Lodges, several Eastern Star Chapters (kind of a ladies' auxiliary), and several other Masonic groups, starting in the 1920's. Either way, about a decade ago, the building was the home of Waco DeMolay Chapter (a Masonically-sponsored youth organization; the DeMolay was one of the three groups that were meeting there at that time, now there are only two) and I was the lead advisor (adult supervisor to the group). As such, I often had paperwork that had to be done and I would go up to the building to do this paperwork often on Sunday afternoons. The secretary of one of the other groups had the same habit and we would often cross paths in the old building as he passed my "office" (the meeting room the DeMolay used was jokingly referred to as my office by him), which was on the second floor, on the way to his office on the third. One Sunday, I had come in and, as usual, locked the door on the first floor behind me and went up to my office to work. I usually brought my laptop to listen to music, but had forgotten it that particular day (not sure if that makes any difference to the story, but, hey....). Either way, I sat behind the desk (I had a clear view of the stairway and the second-floor landing from there) and started my reports. After 20 minutes or so, I heard the front door be unlocked and opened and closed and, after a few moments, heard footsteps ascending the stairs. Figuring it was "Joe" (the secretary on his way to his actual office on the third floor), I got up and went out to the landing to greet him (and, no doubt, have a bull session....we Masons are a chatty lot). I got out there just in time for the footsteps to reach the second-floor landing and proceed up to the third floor. I heard them stop about halfway up to the third floor and felt the distinct sensation of being glared at. It was a rather uncomfortable moment and I said out loud that I should go get my things and go home. Shortly after I said that, the footsteps resumed their ascent. True to my word, I went and got my papers together, put them in my bag, turned off the lights, closed the doors and went down the stairs. The door downstairs was still locked, so I unlocked it and went out, locking the door securely behind me. As I headed for my car, "Joe" pulled up. I told him what had happened and he informed me that he had experienced similar things and that the footsteps generally came right into his office. The "feeling" in the room afterwards made him feel very unwelcome and he generally put his stuff together and left immediately afterward. He told me that, if "the boys" were moving around the building already, he would just not worry about his stuff that day and come back the next day (he was self-employed and could set his own hours). We both left the parking lot shortly thereafter.

wk

Cloud

Champion
Reaction score
I've had a few experiences all at uni in a house I hated.

Basically I used to have serious bad vibes about my uni accommodation it was just an awful place seemed to suck all happiness out of you the second you walked in.

Anyways what used to happen would be late at night whilst trying to sleep or sometimes waking up with a huge shock. I would be pinned to the bed unable to move whilst shitting myself with fear for no reason. Now first few times it happened I wrote it off as a bad dream or nightmare. But this used to happen repeatedly for three years on a regular basis so I guess it wasn't that.

I have no clue what it was or what I experienced but it still gives me chills thinking about it. Some of the scariest moments of my life as being paralysed and so scared was just a horrible feeling.