Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

No More Sorrow

Reaction score

161912_306786442711357_306813160_n.jpg

Main Card
Women's Bantamweight Championship Bout: Miesha Tate (c) vs. Ronda Rousey
Welterweight Bout: Paul Daley vs. Kazuo Misaki
Lightweight Bout: K.J. Noons vs. Josh Thomson
Women's Bantamweight Bout: Sarah Kaufman vs. Alexis Davis
Lightweight Bout: Caros Fodor Vs. Pat Healy

Can't see too many people on here following this show, but nonetheless it's Strikforce's next show and I'll be following it at least. It's Taking place on March 3rd in Columbus Ohio. It was supposed to have the Heavyweight Grand Prix finals between Josh Barnett and Daniel Cormier, but Cormier has a messed up hand so that fight isn't happening at this show.
Oh this show is also on the same day and time as UFC's second Fx show

Last edited:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Thats a really good card.

Top of the bill you have probably the best female matchup that can be made, bar Cyborg cutting down (without steroids). Rousey is hot as well as a badass, not Gina Carano but can certainly get eyeballs following womens MMA.

Daley is a crowd pleaser but its costs him most of the time. I mean, if you are brave enough to stand and bang with a Diaz then I tip my hat to ya, but it wont get you anywhere as proved by his KO1. No idea who the opponent is though.

KJ Noons is overrated, Josh Thomson should squish him. Hopefully anyway, b/c I'm a big fan of JT.

I do wish the Grand Prix final was on the show though. I bet £50 on Barnett to win the whole thing before the tourny started and been waiting ages to claim the profits.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Daley's opponent Kazuo Misaki has been fighting in Japan since 2009 i watched some of his fights earlier trying to figure out who he was but he last fought in Stirkeforce in Sept 09 with a win over Joe Riggs. Has a pretty good overall record also at 24-11, has a win over Hendo from back in Pride too.

Oh, and I'm with you on the Barnett/Cormier fight also have Barnett taking the tournament.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
If the guy is fighting at welterweight and has a win over one of the current top UFC light heavys, theres a damn good chance I'll take this guy serious now.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Yeah he beat him in the PRIDE 2006 Welterweight Grand Prix Quarterfinals.

Haha Nate Marquardt fought the guy twice beating him both times though, breaking his arm in one of the fights.

Heres the video, back from 2002

[video=youtube;ThWGiRvxMoc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ThWGiRvxMoc[/video]

Last edited:

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
A light-heavyweight bout between Mike Kyle (19-8-1 MMA, 3-3-1 SF) and Gegard Mousasi (32-3-2 MMA, 3-1-1 SF) will be part of March's "Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey" event.
Kyle today tweeted news of the bout, which will be part of the Ohio card. Soon after,

MMAjunkie.com
(UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) confirmed the booking with a source close to the event. Although it hasn't been decided if the fight will be for Strikeforce's vacant light-heavyweight title, it will co-headline the show.
"Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey" takes place March 3 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Columbus, and coincides with the annual Arnold Sports Festival.

The main card airs on Showtime, and prelims air on Showtime Extreme. Kyle vs. Mousasi likely would be part of the main card.

And

A lightweight bout between Conor Heun (9-4 MMA, 1-2 SF) and Ryan Couture (3-1 MMA, 3-1 SF) has been added to March's "Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey" event.
MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) today confirmed the bout with event sources.

"Strikeforce: Tate vs. Rousey" takes place March 3 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Columbus, and coincides with the annual Arnold Sports Festival.

The main card airs on Showtime, and prelims air on Showtime Extreme. Heun vs. Couture likely will be part of the prelims.

Heun recently snapped a two-fight skid and picked up his first Strikeforce win with a unanimous-decision victory Magno Almeida in June. Prior to the win, the IFL and EliteXC vet had dropped close decisions to Jorge Gurgel and K.J. Noons under the Strikeforce banner.

Couture recently rebounded from his career loss, which came to Matt Ricehouse in June, with a September majority-decision victory over Maka Watson. Prior to that, the Xtreme Couture fighter opened his pro career in Strikeforce with submission victories over Lucas Stark and Lee Higgins.

Nice to See Couture back in action. For anybody wondering, he is the Son of Randy Couture.

Last edited:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Pretty meh towards Mouassi, but interested in how Couture Jr comes along.

Good additions to an already solid card.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
According to Tate, she's not bothered by the banter. It just adds more fuel to her fire:

"I don't really listen to much of anything that Ronda says. I don't watch her interviews. I get a little bit of that drift that comes through Twitter. When people say, 'Oh, you know she said this, she said that.' Half the time, I honestly think it just makes her sound like an idiot. I mean, that's just being brutally honest. I think she's pretty delusional. I have yet to see Ronda actually fight. I've seen her go out there and do her Judo and whatnot. But she hasn't ever actually brought a fight and that's what I'm
gonna make her do...fight. Anything that she says is motivation, definitely."

Everyone knows Rousey has ridiculous judo, jiu-jitsu and submission skills. Tate comes from a wrestling background, but she believes it's more than just her wrestling that gives her the edge:

"That's why this fight makes for an interesting match up, because our strengths are in similar areas. We're both really great on the ground. I have wrestling, she has judo. I also feel like I have the edge on the feet and the experience overall. I've been doing this a lot longer. I feel like I'll be able to put it together better. When it comes to mixing everything and meshing it, it's gonna make for an awesome fight. I think people are really gonna enjoy and be entertained."
On top of what she believes is a skill set advantage, "Takedown" also sees problems for Rousey that will be caused by her having to make the weight cut to 135 pounds; a reduction she's never had to make before in her MMA career:

"Yeah and not to mention the weight cut. This is her first drop to 135. Also, no pound allowance. That's gonna change her body dynamics, the way she's used to throwing people around, having that weight behind her is gonna change. So it could even affect her in her training camp. The people she used to throw around...she's gonna be smaller. So, a lot of things are gonna be changing for her, this fight. We're gonna see how that works for her. I just wanna frustrate her. Push her outside that minute and make her second guess and make her wish she never wanted to take this fight."
Of course she wants to win for herself and for the sake of successfully defending her recently acquired belt, but she also realizes that this fight is bigger than just her. It's bigger than Ronda Rousey. It's bigger than any of that.

It's about putting WMMA on the map and maybe sending a message to UFC President Dana White in the process:

"It's a huge opportunity. If the women can deliver, like I believe we're going to, it can say big things for our future -- not only in Strikeforce, but hopefully, eventually in the UFC."

She's getting her hopes up, I'm pretty positive Dana White would never bring in WMMA to the UFC especially after the whole steroid shit form a few months back with cyborg.

Last edited:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Been watching a lot of their interviews and such in the buildup to this, and I have to say Rousey is one of the dumbest people I've ever heard.

She's trash talking Tate for like 5 minutes then suddenly comes out with "oh I'm just trying to sell the fight, I dont mean any of this shit". Well what the fuck......at least save that till after the fight so I can actually believe you hate her.....jesus christ....

Reactions: 1 person

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
[video=youtube;5SIFTZmWoD8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=5SIFTZmWoD8[/video]

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Strikeforce bantamweight champion Miesha Tate will defend her title against the surging Ronda Rousey early next month in what is possibly the most hotly anticipated women's MMA bout since the former face of women's MMA, Gina Carano, did battle with its current villain, Cris "Cyborg" Santos.

Speaking with MMAWeekly recently, Carano -- who is still on the fence about her return to MMA -- gave her take on the fight, expressing her respect for both competitors and great excitement for the fight in general.

"I completely thought that Marloes Coenen was going to win in that last fight against Miesha, so I was really impressed with Miesha," Carano said of the champ. "I think Miesha Tate works really hard and I think a lot of people thought Marloes was going to win that fight, so I think she gained a lot of respect from a lot of people. I don't think we can underestimate her anymore. She's a legit opponent."

Carano is similarly impressed by Rousey's ability and dedication.

"I think it's really cool that Ronda's an Olympic athlete. She's been a part of a lot of competitions, she's got the drive, and obviously she's got the skill," she said. "Not one of her fights has gone out of the first round, so I think it's going to be really interesting to see."

Two formidable competitors such as Tate and Rousey squaring off against one another makes for an intriguing bout and one that Carano is eagerly anticipating as a fan.

"Both of those women are hard workers and have stronger personalities. I hope that it does well," said Carano. "I'm super excited about it."

I kind of forgot all about this card, I'm going to go and get the updated info for the show was it's coming up soon.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Strikeforce-Tate-v-Rousey-Poster-Hztl.jpg

MAIN EVENT:
Strikeforce bantamweight title fight: Miesha Tate (champion) vs. Ronda Rousey

MAIN TELEVISED CARD:
Mikey Kyle vs. Gegard Mousasi
Josh Thomson vs. K.J. Noons
Paul Daley vs. Kazuo Misaki
Derek Brunson vs. Ronaldo ‘Jacare’ Souza

PRELIMINARY CARD
Sarah Kaufman vs. Alexis Davis
Caros Fodor vs. Pat Healy
Scott Smith vs. Lumumba Sayers
Ryan Couture vs. Conor Heun

Alright, updated it with the prelim fights. The weigh ins are scueduled for March 2nd. This really isn't that bad of a card for this show. Paul Daley fighting is a win, KJ Noons and Josh Tomphson will be a good fight as well. Mainevent is going to be good even if it's a WMMA fight, I'll be pulling for Rousey in this particular fight though.

Last edited:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Great card, Strikeforce always delivers in fight quality anyway even if the names werent on there.

Kinda hope Miesha wins because R-Dub really has annoyed me with her dumb bitch stuff in the lead up to this fight.

Also, war Josh Thomson. Mad underrated.

Reactions: 1 person

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Completely agree with you about Thompson, a lot of Strikeforce fighter's are underrated.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Forgot this show was on Saturday, actually pumped for this card.

Last edited: