Sting on Wrestling Cinematic Matches, Relationship with Tony Khan, etc.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
stingratings_0.jpg

Appearing on the AEW Unrestricted podcast, Sting said he is interested in the idea of doing "cinema-style matches," and that when he spoke with AEW President Tony Khan prior to signing with the company, the subject of cinematic matches came up.

"When Tony called and spoke with me and he asked 'Are you interested in doing cinema-style matches?' I said 'Yeah, I am. I am,'" he said.

Sting also revealed that he had pushed for a cinematic match with The Undertaker in WWE, but it never came to fruition.

"I didn't want it to end the way it ended. I was pushing to get a cinema-style match with The Undertaker. And for probably a litany of different reasons, it just wasn't going to happen," said Sting.

Those are just two of the items that were discussed during a wide-ranging interview with hosts Tony Schiavone and Aubrey Edwards that covered Sting's entire career.

Sting also discussed how he came to know Tony Khan originally.

"I got a call from Tony Khan five years ago, or maybe even more. I didn't know who he was. Then he mentioned the Jacksonville Jaguars... So I did my research and found out that there is a Tony Khan and a Shad Khan," he said.

"I ended up calling him back, he wanted me to sign a baseball bat and he wanted to present it to the team at the time. So I met Tony long before AEW, long before that even happened," said Sting.

"Then my second-oldest son actually tried out with the Jaguars. He tried out with four different teams, the Jaguars being one of them. So there's some history there with Tony."

Sting also talked about how he came to sign with AEW.

"He called me again, oh, maybe a year ago or so. Actually, he didn't call me, he just sent a text. And I'm still with WWE [at the time], so I've got to be careful how I handle all this kind of stuff, so I just kept it superficial, and that was that," Sting said.

"I'd say two months ago or so, somewhere around then, I reached out and I said 'Hey, are you still willing to talk?' and he said 'Yeah," so here we are," he said.

When asked a question about what he would like to get out of his time in AEW, and also what he would like to give, Sting had a twofold answer.

"I'd love to be able to go out, I don't have to go out on top, I'm just saying go out in a positive light," Sting said.

"I would like to mentor some of these guys and be any kind of help I possibly can. Even thought it's changed, I still get it and I'd like to be a part of helping some of these guys get better.

Sting also spoke briefly about his negotiations with Vince McMahon in the years between WCW folding and his ultimate arrival in WWE in 2014.

"You know, after it [WCW] ended, we never did talk. There was no discussion, at least immediately after [WCW closed]," said Sting.

"It was maybe a year after that Vince reached out and we had a conversation. Talking with Vince was always good," he said.

"But then you'd get his group of attorneys and my attorney and then it all kind of falls apart."

Sting also had positive things to say about his time spent in WWE.

"You know, I thought, 'I've done just about everything there is to do here,' and I had fun. They treated me good," Sting said.

The AEW Unrestricted podcast is available on all major podcast platforms. Video versions of past episodes can be found on the TNT website, although video of the Sting episode is not yet available.

*Editor's note: this transcript has been edited for clarity.*

Source: f4wonline.com

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
:nope

No more cinematic matches....it's just been getting worse with every new one.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
If Sting can survive losin' a scaffold match, I say let's let him do this.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
When did he lose a scaffold match?

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I'm sayin' if he can handle a fall off a scaffold that he should be allowed to have any more matches.

Carter

Capomandamento, Underboss, Consigliere, Three Captain's
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
therock2
Favorite Wrestler
7XxpBMv
Favorite Wrestler
pac
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
53tBXAk
Favorite Sports Team
53tBXAk
Favorite Sports Team
FXYi6FH
Favorite Sports Team
FXYi6FH
Hell yeah, either they made a mistake but he is officially on the wrestling site as 0-0 I know with having spinal stenosis you can have a match edge did, imagine just sting going out on his terms ( sort of ) then mentoring, tony khan wouldn't let Sting go by noway, he knows how business is done it's why he has what he has , Tony had added a lot of money to the Khan Portfolio moneywise , don't think some understand this and how much I freakin' have my passionate screaming and popping again with wweimwas like skip, nah skip, I'll watch Roman, Walter, Seth, Rey, Randy , some drew, Keith lee , Jey, Jimmy, Bryan.

Kiffy Lube

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Did you just say 60 year old Sting can have a match like Edge had? Don't get your hopes up that high.

Lady Redfield

Itchy tasty
Reaction score
Man, I hate cinematic matches, I would be happy if they never did one ever again. I just want to watch normal wrestling.