Steroids - Would wrestling be different today without them?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

britishheel

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
beermoney
Favorite Wrestler
chrissabin
The steroids wouldn't have really affected anyone dying, it might of led to wild mood swings but no deaths. The problem is the alcohol and medical drugs and how they get abused. that side of things is what kills people more. If they weren't used as much, then maybe wrestling wouldn't be looked upon with an disrespect, people just presume stuff, whilst it's obvious steroids are still used to this day in wrestling, the only thing that would change would be the respect that people have on the business.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
I do agree that at the end of the day, it's people that make something terrible. Don't get me wrong, it's very plausible to
Get addicted to things, but I also feel that people take things to the furthest extent. I feel that steroids, alcohol, smoking, etc., are actually okay in some moderation (quite a bit).

I guess just don't like the blame game. People instantly blamed WWE and everyone else but Benoit when his incident happened. IMO, Benoit was to blame and no one else as you don't see tons of wrestlers killing their families, or anyone else for that matter. Can steroids cause harm? Yes, if people let it consume them. Most people who let it consume them don't end up killing people, rather they have heart attacks and die. But are steroids inherently a bad thing? I don't think so. If controlled, they can really help some people.

Didn't mean to go on a rant, but I can't stand when people just blame everything but the person.

With all that being said, do I think they're needed today? No. WWE stars are more athletic than ever before. And, WWE is diff now. It relies more on the wrestling than ever before. Sure, a lot of the stars still look amazing, but the focus is different, which is a good thing.

Last edited:

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score

Attachments

• IMG_0987.JPG
    IMG_0987.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: Solid Snake

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
The steroids wouldn't have really affected anyone dying, it might of led to wild mood swings but no deaths. The problem is the alcohol and medical drugs and how they get abused. that side of things is what kills people more. If they weren't used as much, then maybe wrestling wouldn't be looked upon with an disrespect, people just presume stuff, whilst it's obvious steroids are still used to this day in wrestling, the only thing that would change would be the respect that people have on the business.

Causes heart problems. There is a reason Davy Boy Smith, Test, and a lot of other wrestlers died young.

Benoit's sister in law said roids were not a major factor in Benoit. He had other addictions + head injuries were more likely factors.

Apprently he was in the house for a day or 2 after he did what he did and in contact with the WWE. There is a shoot interview with her on Chris Jerichos youtube show.

From the sounds of it Chris may not have been aware of what he had done/had a complete mental break down.

Hogan has also admitted to using them.

Last edited:
Reactions: edge4ever

Craddock

Jobber
Reaction score
I'm curious as to what everyone feels about steroids in general but as for this particular angle…

I have no empirical evidence but it strikes me that the WWE/WCW/etc. is really a child of the 80s and wouldn't have been able to achieve that prodigal son status without steroids. In popular studies (Crosset, 1990; Messner, 2002; Burstyn, 1999) evidence is shown that competitive male sports were built on the premise of homophobia, not necessarily the rejection of same gender relationships but of the rejection of femininity. Steroids are a straightforward way of subverting nature to physically achieve this goal, although studies are still mixed on whether it has the same results psychologically. With wrestling entertainment being given a free legal pass for a short while on steroids they seem to have been able to dominate the race for manliness™ and I'd wager that's what's given them enough of the head start to be able to maintain popularity despite being made more "feminine" or perhaps "millennial."

I doubt without the jumping board of steroids the industry would've had the momentum to survive this long.

liverose

Jobber
Reaction score
looking from eyes that started focusing on wrestling after the steroids scandal, where their use while still around had been dialed back from 11 to like a 6. It seemed to be a fad of excess, came and went for better or for worse it shaped wrestling history. Made big guys find new ways to get bigger and small guys find new ways to stand out in a land of giants.

Reactions: Solidus1

britishheel

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
beermoney
Favorite Wrestler
chrissabin
Causes heart problems. There is a reason Davy Boy Smith, Test, and a lot of other wrestlers died young.

Benoit's sister in law said roids were not a major factor in Benoit. He had other addictions + head injuries were more likely factors.

Apprently he was in the house for a day or 2 after he did what he did and in contact with the WWE. There is a shoot interview with her on Chris Jerichos youtube show.

From the sounds of it Chris may not have been aware of what he had done/had a complete mental break down.

Hogan has also admitted to using them.

I have heard that podcast, and it was very interesting to hear.