Steps talks....gheyness

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
- The Daily Beast has a new article asking “if WWE is too scared to go LGBT.”

The article talks about Darren Young coming out to TMZ back in 2013 but says WWE hasn’t let the character come out. They spoke to Stephanie McMahon at ESPN’s ESPY awards last week and she commented on the Darren Young character:

“Darren Young was the first WWE superstar to really come out as being homosexual, but his character in the show is not. At least, we haven’t done anything with it either way—just yet.”

Stephanie also suggested that a gay character could happen in WWE:

“It could very well pop up in WWE because we are all about what’s relevant, and what’s pop culture, and what people want to see. So if there is an opportunity, we might just take it.”

I don't think it's a good idea to push sexual preference into a character nowadays. What happens if there is a fan backlash? Would stigmatize the entire audience. Not to mention what happens if the character isn't successful and wins everything. Or what happens if the on obviously gay character gets beatdown?

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Giving a character (whether they're actually gay or not) a gay gimmick insinuates that gays aren't people which is not what you want to do. Are there straight gimmicks? Not really, so you can't have someone's entire character just be that they're gay.

Plus Titus and Young make jokes about him being gay all the time and they're hilarious. It doesn't need to be his character, that's what Billy and Chuck were.

I don't want another fucking Kwee Wee.

Crippler

Prove me wrong
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisbenoit2
will only work if they do the Orlando Jordan one from TNA

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Would open up a huge can of worms if they were to do this, so hopefully it doesn't happen. I kinda get the vibes from Fandango and Adam Rose characters at times that they're a bit on the fruity side so.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
They really did this years ago with Goldust when he first came on to the scene when they were having him do gay and suspect shit. It is stupid though how they're making it seem like all gay people act a certain way and that just cause Darren is gay he has to act differently than how he has been acting on t.v. Not all gay people act overly flamboyant or sissified a gay person can be a Batista looking and acting dude for all somebody knows.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Smartest thing WWE did was just have D-Young just act like any other roster member and his sexuality not being a focal point or even acknowledged because its supposedly what he does in the ring is what matters . Don't need stereotypes, need archetypes.

Weez

Reaction score
Ya know, I just want WWE to be beyond all the 80's stereotypes. The "Russian" Guy, the "Mexican" the "Hateful Canadian" (RIP Dino Bravo ffs), the "Gay" character.. It's .. not even about Good vs Evil and Good Guys and Bad Guys so much anymore, do we really need this?

I gotta agree with Deezy. Not making D-Young's character about being gay or straight or anything else is the smartest thing they could have done, ESPECIALLY from a PR Stance. It was like 'He's gay, so what?" and moved on. It's perfect.

Reactions: Deezy

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Using Darren Young as an example, I'd prefer to see him getting over through his personality and ring ability, not because of his sexual preferences. I think its possible to refer to his sexuality as a side-note now and then, just don't make it his identity.

I'm all in favor of gay rights and representation, but I also don't see sexuality as all that important or relevant. When I know someone who's gay I may acknowledge that in my head but I don't bring it up because its not important. That's kinda how I see Darren Young for example. Sure it would be nice and progressive for WWE to have a gay wrestler's real life preferences reflected in their on-screen character but I don't want it to become his character.

This comes from the fact that I'm the kind of guy who hates it when people base their whole identity on their gender or sexual orientation. Instead I want to look at their skills, accomplishments, what they have to offer, etc.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
One thing that bothers me is when someone's only identifiable trait is their race or their sexual orientation....only means that person is boring.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
It wouldn't be any different than the laundry list of racist gimmicks and angles WWE has done since it's inception. Everyone from Iron Sheik and Chief Jay Strongbow to Muhammad Hassan and Rusev can attest to that. Not a single year has gone by in WWE history that they've passed up an opportunity to generate money and interest off a stereotype. So I wouldn't put it past them. In fact, it would be downright stupid to put it past them.

And like PHX said, this is hardly even a new angle. Goldust was the very first name that came to mind for me as well and he did it better than anybody imo. Corporations don't have a conscience when it comes to making money and WWE (which is owned by a family of right wing capitalists) is no different whatsoever.

The current social state of North America is far too sensitive to let that angle fly right now. It's so bad, you can't even say "f*ggot" in private anymore without being completely crucified by the media. But a few years from now... who knows. If social dynamics change because of recent Supreme Court acceptance of equality, people just lighten up with this topic in general, and WWE sees an opportunity for exploitation, they will most certainly seize the opportunity. History doesn't lie and WWE is completely full of shit.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
So not being able to call someone a "smurf" anymore is bad? Also all corporations have to "evolve with the times" otherwise your empire crumbles, just because they did something that completely contradicts what the supposed beliefs they have now doesn't make them "full of shit" it makes them not complete and utter morons.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Yeah I think being lynched for something you said in private is ridiculous. Don't want to be offended? Mind your own damn business.

WWE has no moral obligation. If they can exploit something and make money from it, they will. Sexuality is just too sensitive right now with everything that's going on. But they'll eventually get back around to it. They'll inevitably crown the first openly gay WWE Champion. Then Pat Patterson will roll his eyes and be like "bitch please". WWE has always been about celebrating diversity, even if they have to lie and say you're an ethnicity you really aren't. Like Yokozuna. Or Kofi Kingston's first run as a "Jamaican". Because he's black. Get it? It's fucking silly. WWE will dangle any idea in your face so long as you're buying it. They always have and always will.

On a related note... sexuality is unlikely something they'd exploit right now anyways because of it's PG-friendly programming. Even flamboyant heterosexuality is relatively docile compared to previous eras. When you emphasize sexuality as a basis for an angle or gimmick, ultimately SEX itself is the primary focus of the angle. Who that wrestler wants to have SEX with. I don't have a problem with it, but I know for certain many parents wouldn't want their 8-year-olds watching that and asking those kind of questions. That's just not something I see WWE getting involved with right now. When things are going good for your company, it's usually a good idea not to take chances.