Spanish teacher fired for using the word ‘negro’ in class

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Daily Caller said:
In the annals of political correctness run amok in American schools, this story — if true — is easily an all-timer.

A junior-high school Spanish teacher has filed a lawsuit alleging that she was fired from P.S. 211 in the Bronx in March 2012 because of a misunderstanding over the word “negro.â€

The non-tenured teacher, 65-year-old Petrona Smith, maintains that she was instructing her class about how to say the various basic colors in Spanish, reports the New York Post. The word “negro†naturally came up because “negro†is the Spanish word for “black.â€

A seventh-grade student in the class took offense at the term, however, believing the word to be a racial slur. It’s not clear if Smith directed the term at the student. Whatever the case, he reported the incident to school officials.

But, wait. It gets better. Smith, a native of the West Indies, is black. And to top it all off, P.S. 211 is bilingual.

Smith’s attorney, Shaun Reid, called the charge that allegedly led to his client’s termination ridiculous.

“They haven’t even accounted for how absurd it is for someone who’s black to be using a racial slur to a student,†Reid told the Post.

School officials refused to make any comment about the allegations in the lawsuit. As such, the publicly-known facts are tremendously one-sided at this point.

In court papers, Smith does address another incident involving an allegation that she labeled some students as “failures.†The teacher states that she had only asked certain students to move to the rear of the classroom after they had failed a test.

The Post notes that Smith also claims that students hurled insults at her, calling her “fucking monkey†and other abusive names.

Smith hasn’t been able to find another job since she was sacked.
Wow, this may be the biggest indictment yet on the idiocy of the politically correct climate currently sweeping the US. It's not even pronounced in a way that you can deem it a racial slur when you say it in Spanish...what a fucking joke. It sucks that we don't have all the facts, but I honestly cannot see how this woman isn't going to win her lawsuit.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Political correctness gone wild.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Why is she teaching at 65 :lol:

Seriously this is so stupid. This would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. I would like to know what was going through the principal's head as he/she fired the teacher.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Why is she teaching at 65 :lol:

Seriously this is so stupid. This would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic. I would like to know what was going through the principal's head as he/she fired the teacher.
I'm sorry but how is her teaching at 65 a shocking thing?

Fuji Vice

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stanhansen
Favorite Wrestler
brusierbrody
Favorite Wrestler
rickrude
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Why is she teaching at 65
Believe it or not, some people actually enjoy their work enough to keep doing it even when they pass retirement age. My grandmother worked until she was 85, so she's got 20 years on this spring chicken. She didn't do it because of the money either, she did it because she had a passion for her business and wanted to involve herself in it as much as possible. She finally had to retire when her eyes got bad enough that she could no longer have a drivers licence, otherwise I bet she'd still be working today.

Obviously there's also the financial reason, many people don't have enough money saved by the time they're 65 to comfortably retire. It's important to remember that not everyone lives in the lap of luxury.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
Believe it or not, some people actually enjoy their work enough to keep doing it even when they pass retirement age. My grandmother worked until she was 85, so she's got 20 years on this spring chicken. She didn't do it because of the money either, she did it because she had a passion for her business and wanted to involve herself in it as much as possible. She finally had to retire when her eyes got bad enough that she could no longer have a drivers licence, otherwise I bet she'd still be working today.

Obviously there's also the financial reason, many people don't have enough money saved by the time they're 65 to comfortably retire. It's important to remember that not everyone lives in the lap of luxury.

I know I was joking. I did say how ridiculous this was