Soap Opera

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Redboy123@

Reaction score
The indy smark God himself, Cody Rhodes, recently said in a interview that the soap opera elements in professional wrestling does not need to be turned up. I wholeheartedly disagree. I think we need even more soap opera storytelling in wrestling... Especially in wwe.

Lack of thought out storytelling and character development is one of the biggest criticisms fans have with WWE in 2019. The WWE is as financially stronger then ever, however creatively it is in a different sastrous situation. 'Reliable' online sources have even reported that the WWE lockeroom morale is at an all time low. I can only presume that's because of the lack of creative direction the majority of the very large and talented roster.

As Raw and Smackdown ratings are plummeting and business outside wwe is on the rise, it seems like a great opportunity for Cody Rhodes, Chris Jericho and the rest of the AEW kick-start to rise up and compete with WWE. That's why I find Rhoades recent comments quite staggering.

The entertainment of soap opera definitely has negative connotations. Even calling WWE 'soap opera' seemed like a weird statement to make. When I think of soap opera I think of daytime TV that house wife's would have ona as background noise when they are doing the hoovering. Just think of the cheesy cliches we associate with these show. Characters returning from the dead and serial killing nannies. That sort of stuff.

Despite what you think of the cheesy and cheap connotations, the very core of a soap opera is based on storytelling and character. After all, Game Of Thrones, which is essentially a soap opera, is taking the world by storm. DC and Marvel are both large assemble cast of characters that come and go in a world of drama and intrigue....sounds like a soap opera. The cultural Phenomenon Star Wars is one big fat soap opera.

Everything a good soap opera has is what WWE needs right now. We need storylines. We need characters. We need soap opera.

Reactions: Kasumi

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I remember watching my favorite wrestling show, Lucha Underground, thinking about how much of a ball these writers are having. Like you have your airtight soap opera-style writing, on a 1 hour show full of blocks of space filled by matches instead of writing. You can fill 20 minutes with by writing one match card, finish, a big spot, and the thing you want to spotlight in the match, and basically doing the best writing job ever just writing and producing 4-5 backstage skits on top of that.

Going from Days of our Lives to WWE sounds really good in that way, too. But then you're coming into a live sports event too and it's a whole different beast.

Speaking of LU, it's a shame they're pretty much gone. Seeing the sports entertainment of Lucha Underground alongside the pro wrestling of AEW would make for a damn fun contrast. We need some more sports entertainment, from a company that isn't Impact.

Reactions: Grievous 3D

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
AEW is supposed to be most "sports" oriented. Im assuming this means they will have more statistical data and a ranking system and will be broadcasted more like the NFL or UFC. I will be interested to see how this gets over and if it can gain a widespread audience on a weekly basis. I think the soap opera element is important because pro wrestling is more like theater than it is sport. But things evolve over time so time will tell if AEW will be leading that change.

Redboy123@

Reaction score
AEW is supposed to be most "sports" oriented. Im assuming this means they will have more statistical data and a ranking system and will be broadcasted more like the NFL or UFC. I will be interested to see how this gets over and if it can gain a widespread audience on a weekly basis. I think the soap opera element is important because pro wrestling is more like theater than it is sport. But things evolve over time so time will tell if AEW will be leading that change.
The sports oriented approach hasn't been successful in recent history. Can't help but think the only people who watch wrestling just for the wrestling are a very small portion of the audience.

I do think having a sporty presentation and more stats and analysis is something wwe would benefit from.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I remember watching my favorite wrestling show, Lucha Underground, thinking about how much of a ball these writers are having. Like you have your airtight soap opera-style writing, on a 1 hour show full of blocks of space filled by matches instead of writing. You can fill 20 minutes with by writing one match card, finish, a big spot, and the thing you want to spotlight in the match, and basically doing the best writing job ever just writing and producing 4-5 backstage skits on top of that.

Going from Days of our Lives to WWE sounds really good in that way, too. But then you're coming into a live sports event too and it's a whole different beast.

Speaking of LU, it's a shame they're pretty much gone. Seeing the sports entertainment of Lucha Underground alongside the pro wrestling of AEW would make for a damn fun contrast. We need some more sports entertainment, from a company that isn't Impact.
Just imagine the WWE booked, written & shot like Lucha Underground...

*Thinks*

That could be amazing with the amount of money the WWE has to throw around.

Personally...I like the more "theatrical" elements of wrestling...BUT (Lacey Evans'
Butt)...the wrestling itself is why I watch. I mean I only watch NXT these days but
I actually prefer in-ring storytelling to promos, skits & social media bullshit.

That's just what I like though...& I am a bit strange...

Like a horse that eats flesh.