SummerSlam Shinsuke vs Ali

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Reaching for the brass ring is basically going above and beyond expectations when Vince McMahon gives you the opportunity. Roman and Cena are in the brass ring club. I would say Kofi and Rollins are currently in the process of grabbing that brass ring, they have been given the opportunity at least and I would say they are doing a decent job.
I don't believe that for a single second.

Cena & Reigns were pushed to a frankly ridiculous
degree despite the fans clearly rejecting them.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
I don't believe that for a single second.

Cena & Reigns were pushed to a frankly ridiculous
degree despite the fans clearly rejecting them.

The fans that rejected them are the minority. The hardcore internet wrestling fans like people on here are such a small percentage. I bet its 15-20%. The other 80-85% of casual fans are what really matters.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
The fans that rejected them are the minority. The hardcore internet wrestling fans like people on here are such a small percentage. I bet its 15-20%. The other 80-85% of casual fans are what really matters.
That is one loud minority...

& you're saying your own opinion doesn't matter?

I mean you're part of the 15/20% right?

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
That is one loud minority...

& you're saying your own opinion doesn't matter?

I mean you're part of the 15/20% right?

The hardcore fanbase still matters. Thats the core of the WWE universe. But the other 80% of casual fans who buy a Roman Reigns or John Cena T-Shirt or action figure is so important. Cena and Reigns are more marketable than Shinsuke Nakamura. Thats not WWE creatives fault. I think its mostly due to Shinsuke being fron Japan. It has nothing to do with talent or creative.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Reaching for the brass ring is basically going above and beyond expectations when Vince McMahon gives you the opportunity. Roman and Cena are in the brass ring club. I would say Kofi and Rollins are currently in the process of grabbing that brass ring, they have been given the opportunity at least and I would say they are doing a decent job.
I think you’re missing the whole brass ring thing. Cena didn’t grab a brass ring at all. Sure, he’s a hard worker, fun on the mic, and charismatic, but his wrestling was okay, and he wasn’t a massive standout like the rock or hogan or stone cold, he simply catered to what you call the “casual fans.” They like his look, he’s “entertaining” most of the time, and looks like a poster boy wrestler. He’s marketable, basically. This doesn’t mean he grabbed brass ring, rather he’s got the look and enough charisma to be top dog, so they let him keep running with it. Plus, Cena is kind of an exception to most rules. He captured lighting in a bottle like 4 times if you ask me and most things pertaining to him blow my
Mind as to how he stayed on top for so long.

Also, Reigns is still no where near his level, so saying he grabbed the brass ring is beyond absurd, especially given the fact that tried so damn hard to make him the top dog, it’s far worse then WWE force feeding us Cena for a while. Reigns only sells what like a quarter of sometimes half of what Cena did or does, and he is no where near his charisma and ability to make entertaining feuds.

With that being said, Cena began to prove, in my eyes, how and why he should be a main eventer as time went on, but he became so overplayed in the main event scene, I couldn’t stand him anymore. Drove me nuts. This again, however, doesn’t mean he grabbed a brass ring. Rather, he’s a marketable easy to like character who got better with his in ring game.

With all the above being said, the only person to “grab the brass ring” in my book is cm punk. He truly took an opportunity, ceased it, and literally exploded onto the scene in one foul swoop. He was talented enough to where he could mic talk, wrestle, charismatic, entertaining, and was beyond believable. He broke the 4th wall so to speak. He could do heel or face very well. He grabbed the ring and ran with it if you ask me. He sold well and did everything well. He wasn’t marked on just looks and some charisma and his face, he was marketed because of true, raw talent and made people invested in everything he did.

The point is that the brass ring thing is pretty much a falsehood and is seldom grabbed by anybody. As cm punk even said himself, it’s imaginary, and it wasn’t until he was able to be himself more was he able to truly grab it. If he would’ve kept doing what Vince wanted, he would’ve quit and never exploded like that.

The way WWE works, or wrestling in general, is you do what you’re told. Most of your matches are nearly planned to a T and you act it out exactly how the feud should go. This is not to say how it goes every time, but usually that’s how it works. So, Cena just did what he was told. Sure, he did it well, but he didn’t grab a brass ring, he did what creative said and it happened to catch enough casual fans eyes that it kept people interested for longer than what I ever would’ve though it would. This isn’t saying Cena had nothing to do with it, of course he did and of course he’s talented. But he’s simply marketable and likeabke and fits the mold. Much like reigns kind of does, but he’s a worse version of Cena.

Make sense, hopefully?

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Look at the last three over characters WWE created. Daniel Bryan, Becky Lynch, and Kofi Kingston. Both are guys who're talented. They're wrestlers who're out there giving quality performances (like many on the roster) in throwaway TV matches. But they got over because when they had the perfect opportunity, between the Team Hell No breakup, the Smackdown gauntlet, and the organic string of wins/heel turn fail, they rose to the occasion. They took those opportunities and ran with them and the crowds took notice and wouldnt take no for an answer for their main event push. (Cesaro, despite being the best throwaway TV match wrestler, never had this opportunity. That's what "grabbing the brass ring" means. Though if he could have one breakthrough moment, he'd be huge). Hell go back to Austin 3:16

Cena and Reigns, I get it. Reigns is a living action figure with a badass moveset with more impact than anyone else on the roster. If you're just watching one show, Roman's an easy guy to gravitate to. But for those watching the overall "story" of WWE, you never had a chance to get behind Roman.

Also "casual fans" is such an outdated term lol. They're watching other shows

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
I think you’re missing the whole brass ring thing. Cena didn’t grab a brass ring at all. Sure, he’s a hard worker, fun on the mic, and charismatic, but his wrestling was okay, and he wasn’t a massive standout like the rock or hogan or stone cold, he simply catered to what you call the “casual fans.” They like his look, he’s “entertaining” most of the time, and looks like a poster boy wrestler. He’s marketable, basically. This doesn’t mean he grabbed brass ring, rather he’s got the look and enough charisma to be top dog, so they let him keep running with it. Plus, Cena is kind of an exception to most rules. He captured lighting in a bottle like 4 times if you ask me and most things pertaining to him blow my
Mind as to how he stayed on top for so long.

Also, Reigns is still no where near his level, so saying he grabbed the brass ring is beyond absurd, especially given the fact that tried so damn hard to make him the top dog, it’s far worse then WWE force feeding us Cena for a while. Reigns only sells what like a quarter of sometimes half of what Cena did or does, and he is no where near his charisma and ability to make entertaining feuds.

With that being said, Cena began to prove, in my eyes, how and why he should be a main eventer as time went on, but he became so overplayed in the main event scene, I couldn’t stand him anymore. Drove me nuts. This again, however, doesn’t mean he grabbed a brass ring. Rather, he’s a marketable easy to like character who got better with his in ring game.

With all the above being said, the only person to “grab the brass ring” in my book is cm punk. He truly took an opportunity, ceased it, and literally exploded onto the scene in one foul swoop. He was talented enough to where he could mic talk, wrestle, charismatic, entertaining, and was beyond believable. He broke the 4th wall so to speak. He could do heel or face very well. He grabbed the ring and ran with it if you ask me. He sold well and did everything well. He wasn’t marked on just looks and some charisma and his face, he was marketed because of true, raw talent and made people invested in everything he did.

The point is that the brass ring thing is pretty much a falsehood and is seldom grabbed by anybody. As cm punk even said himself, it’s imaginary, and it wasn’t until he was able to be himself more was he able to truly grab it. If he would’ve kept doing what Vince wanted, he would’ve quit and never exploded like that.

The way WWE works, or wrestling in general, is you do what you’re told. Most of your matches are nearly planned to a T and you act it out exactly how the feud should go. This is not to say how it goes every time, but usually that’s how it works. So, Cena just did what he was told. Sure, he did it well, but he didn’t grab a brass ring, he did what creative said and it happened to catch enough casual fans eyes that it kept people interested for longer than what I ever would’ve though it would. This isn’t saying Cena had nothing to do with it, of course he did and of course he’s talented. But he’s simply marketable and likeabke and fits the mold. Much like reigns kind of does, but he’s a worse version of Cena.

Make sense, hopefully?

Grabbing the brass ring is obviously just a metaphor. There are no rules or particular situation where u can pinpoint the grabbing of the brass ring. Cena grabbed the brass ring, but held onto it longer and better than anyone else. I agree that CM Punk grabbed the brass ring, along with Daniel Bryan, Edge, Randy Orton, Y2J, even AJ Styles (just wanted to name more current superstars). Some of them got more over than other, the brass ring is not all equal.

Roman Reigns still has much more of his career ahead of him. The audience is slowly and organically rallying behind Reigns now, and I would find it hard to argue that there is a bigger star than Roman in WWE thats on the full time schedule. Roman by and large is the top guy. Hes bigger than Rollins and Kofi. All the superstars who grabbed that brass ring have the "it" factor. They ooze of natural charisma. Sometimes it just takes other wrestlers longer to come out of their shell (Look at Austin and Rock in early stages of their career). Every wrestler has a different journey. Roman Reigns is still on that journey and overtime has been able to project his true actual self into his character. There is now a very "real" aspect to the Roman Reigns character. People arent booing Reigns anymore. WWE is slowly putting him back to the top, and its working. Roman Reigns is a true locker room leader who has the respect of everyone because he is a genuine good person, a hard worker, and gives people respect. Yes, Vince chooses the guys he wants on top, but its still up to the performer to take that opportunity and make something out of themselves. Vince and creative can only take talent so far.
[automerge]1564460943[/automerge]
Also "casual fans" is such an outdated term lol. They're watching other shows

You may look at it and think out dated term but its still very true. Because we are hardcore fans its easy for us to look at everything within the bubble that is professional wrestling. WWE has over 40 million subscribers to their YouTube channel. I believe they have about 2 millions network subscribers. Thats only 5% of people who subscribe to the YouTube channel that actually pay a month fee for WWE Network. The casual fans are a a bigger part of WWE's business.

Last edited:

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Grabbing the brass ring is obviously just a metaphor. There are no rules or particular situation where u can pinpoint the grabbing of the brass ring. Cena grabbed the brass ring, but held onto it longer and better than anyone else. I agree that CM Punk grabbed the brass ring, along with Daniel Bryan, Edge, Randy Orton, Y2J, even AJ Styles (just wanted to name more current superstars). Some of them got more over than other, the brass ring is not all equal.

Roman Reigns still has much more of his career ahead of him. The audience is slowly and organically rallying behind Reigns now, and I would find it hard to argue that there is a bigger star than Roman in WWE thats on the full time schedule. Roman by and large is the top guy. Hes bigger than Rollins and Kofi. All the superstars who grabbed that brass ring have the "it" factor. They ooze of natural charisma. Sometimes it just takes other wrestlers longer to come out of their shell (Look at Austin and Rock in early stages of their career). Every wrestler has a different journey. Roman Reigns is still on that journey and overtime has been able to project his true actual self into his character. There is now a very "real" aspect to the Roman Reigns character. People arent booing Reigns anymore. WWE is slowly putting him back to the top, and its working. Roman Reigns is a true locker room leader who has the respect of everyone because he is a genuine good person, a hard worker, and gives people respect. Yes, Vince chooses the guys he wants on top, but its still up to the performer to take that opportunity and make something out of themselves. Vince and creative can only take talent so far.
[automerge]1564460943[/automerge]

You may look at it and think out dated term but its still very true. Because we are hardcore fans its easy for us to look at everything within the bubble that is professional wrestling. WWE has over 40 million subscribers to their YouTube channel. I believe they have about 2 millions network subscribers. Thats only 5% of people who subscribe to the YouTube channel that actually pay a month fee for WWE Network. The casual fans are a a bigger part of WWE's business.
Wow, so basically the brass ring doesn’t exist, like I said, and tons of people have grabbed it because it’s not equal to all. WTH does that even mean? I mean hahaha. I think you’re still not getting it.

And Roman is getting “the equal to him brass ring” because of cancer... you get that right? There was no other spot they could put him in that work because, well, quite frankly, he sucks. The only he could possibly do is heel, and that ain’t happening, so let’s keep him face and use his cancer to get people to cheer. Yay! Roman will never grab this fake ass ring.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
Wow, so basically the brass ring doesn’t exist, like I said, and tons of people have grabbed it because it’s not equal to all. WTH does that even mean? I mean hahaha. I think you’re still not getting it.

And Roman is getting “the equal to him brass ring” because of cancer... you get that right? There was no other spot they could put him in that work because, well, quite frankly, he sucks. The only he could possibly do is heel, and that ain’t happening, so let’s keep him face and use his cancer to get people to cheer. Yay! Roman will never grab this fake ass ring.

I just said its a m e t a p h o r. Althought if they had the brass ring championship that would be pretty cool.