Shinjiro Otani Hospitalised With Possible Severe Spine Injury

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lethal

Tiffy Time
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
fnexxBT
Favorite Wrestler
SdPLF
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Favorite Sports Team
lJlFfto
Favorite Sports Team
pxAmCgn
Favorite Sports Team
detroitlions
Favorite Sports Team
LMoHyDQ
Couldn't see this posted elsewhere (apologies if so)

Following Pro Wrestling ZERO1’s Premium show on April 10th, Shinjiro Otani was taken to hospital with a possible cervical spine injury.

Shinjiro Otani was taken to hospital following the latest Pro Wrestling ZERO1 event in Tokyo Japan. The veteran star was competing in the main event against World Heavyweight Champion Takashi Sugiura when he took a German Suplex into the turnbuckle. Following the Suplex, Otani was unable to move and the referee Katsumi Sasazaki called off the match.

Sazaki told Tokyo Sports that Otani was unable to move and couldn’t feel his hands.

“He was conscious. He could hear [his own] voice and he could clearly see where he was. However, he complained that he couldn’t move his hands and that he couldn’t move, and he said, ‘I can’t feel my hands.'”
In a follow up report, Hochi News spoke to the ringside Doctor, who said there was concern that Otani could have a cervical spine injury.

Shinjiro Otani made his pro wrestling debut in 1992 for New Japan Pro Wrestling. Over the next nine years, Otani won multiple titles and became the fifth and final winner of the J-Crown which consisted of eight Cruiserweight Championships including the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship and WWF Light Heavyweight Championship.

After leaving NJPW in 2001, Otani formed Pro Wrestling ZERO1 alongside Shinya Hashimoto. Otani became one of the top stars in the company and has held all of their major titles including the World heavyweight Championship.

Everyone at Inside The Ropes would like to wish Shinjiro Otoshi a speedy and full recovery.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Man I hope he ends up okay

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Oh god...i knew they ended the show early but thats tragic

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
I heard there was a scare at that event, and I feared for his safety, but a severe spine injury is scary. We've seen some nasty neck and back injuries in wrestling, and I hope he is able make a full recovery. But at his age, this is probably the end of his in ring career.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf

really bad news

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
His in-ring has to be over, just hoping he can regain movement and live out retirement at this point. Hate to see someone go out like this after such a great career

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
It's almost like the old men who yell at clouds were telling people that turnbuckle and apron spots were dangerous and stuff like this would happen.

Reactions: Cwalker

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Source: f4wonline.com

ZERO1 has provided an update on Shinjiro Otani.

The promotion released a statement on Thursday updating fans on the 49-year-old's condition. He underwent surgery on Wednesday to prevent further deterioration of a cervical spinal cord injury. The procedure is said to have gone as planned and Otani has been transferred to another hospital.

The injury occurred on Sunday's ZERO1 show when Otani was wrestling Takashi Sugiura in the main event. He took a German suplex into the corner and remained motionless after. It has since been reported that Otani is still unable to move his arms or legs.

Otani's wife, Eriko Otani, released a statement as well (translations via Post Wrestling).

"I married a professional wrestler, Shinjiro Otani, so I was prepared to accept a situation like this, but when I think of Shinjiro’s disappointment, I cry. However, we will not look down, but forward, and with the help of pro wrestling, we will continue to support Mr. Shinjiro. We will do our best with your warm support. We hope that you will continue to watch over us warmly. Finally, I would like to ask for your continued support for Zero One and all the wrestlers that Mr. Shinjiro has been protecting."

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Source: f4wonline.com

ZERO1 has provided an update on Shinjiro Otani.

The promotion released a statement on Thursday updating fans on the 49-year-old's condition. He underwent surgery on Wednesday to prevent further deterioration of a cervical spinal cord injury. The procedure is said to have gone as planned and Otani has been transferred to another hospital.

The injury occurred on Sunday's ZERO1 show when Otani was wrestling Takashi Sugiura in the main event. He took a German suplex into the corner and remained motionless after. It has since been reported that Otani is still unable to move his arms or legs.

Otani's wife, Eriko Otani, released a statement as well (translations via Post Wrestling).

"I married a professional wrestler, Shinjiro Otani, so I was prepared to accept a situation like this, but when I think of Shinjiro’s disappointment, I cry. However, we will not look down, but forward, and with the help of pro wrestling, we will continue to support Mr. Shinjiro. We will do our best with your warm support. We hope that you will continue to watch over us warmly. Finally, I would like to ask for your continued support for Zero One and all the wrestlers that Mr. Shinjiro has been protecting."

The message from his wife is so sad, yet sweet. Accepting that something like this was a risk, but calling for support and hope.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
ZERO1 has announced a benefit show with proceeds going to Shinjiro Otani.

"ONE TEAM" will be held on Saturday, June 4 from the Ota Ward General Gymnasium in Tokyo. NJPW' Yuji Nagata, Tomoaki Honma, and Togi Makabe are scheduled to take part. Pro Wrestling NOAH has also committed to sending wrestlers to the show.

Otani sustained a cervical spinal cord injury on April 10 while wrestling Takashi Sugiura. The 49-year-old remained motionless in the ring after taking a German suplex into the corner. He later underwent surgery to prevent further deterioration of the injury on April 13. According to the most recent updates on his condition, Otani is unable to move his arms or legs.

ZERO1 President Takahito Kami had the following to say about the event (translations via Post Wrestling):

"Since we are a professional wrestling organization, we decided to hold this event in the hope that we can be of help by holding this kind of event. We want to bring smiles to Otani’s face through professional wrestling and to be a beacon of hope."

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
ZERO1 has announced a benefit show with proceeds going to Shinjiro Otani.

"ONE TEAM" will be held on Saturday, June 4 from the Ota Ward General Gymnasium in Tokyo. NJPW' Yuji Nagata, Tomoaki Honma, and Togi Makabe are scheduled to take part. Pro Wrestling NOAH has also committed to sending wrestlers to the show.

Otani sustained a cervical spinal cord injury on April 10 while wrestling Takashi Sugiura. The 49-year-old remained motionless in the ring after taking a German suplex into the corner. He later underwent surgery to prevent further deterioration of the injury on April 13. According to the most recent updates on his condition, Otani is unable to move his arms or legs.

ZERO1 President Takahito Kami had the following to say about the event (translations via Post Wrestling):

"Since we are a professional wrestling organization, we decided to hold this event in the hope that we can be of help by holding this kind of event. We want to bring smiles to Otani’s face through professional wrestling and to be a beacon of hope."

Glad they're doing something to support him. Also glad to see that people from other promotions in Japan are helping out. Like there is a bit of a divide at times between promotions in Japan, but it seems like when something goes wrong, they also are there to support each other. Like New Japan going to the government to find ways to support the other promotions during the pandemic and also the multiple promotions involved with the Hana Kimura Memorial shows.

Reactions: Canadian Dragon