SD Main event picture leading to Mania

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

Reaction score
Where do you think Smackdown is going to head in the near future with Wrestlemania about 4-5 months away. What main events would you like to see?

Currently main eventers:

Kane (current champ)
Undertaker (Injuried)
Edge (#1 Contender)
Alberto Del Rio (Young Star)
Jack Swagger (Former Champ)
Rey Mysterio (Veteran)
Raw Wildcard Wrestler

I have to think the Edge will win the title rather soon, and hold it mania. This would leave room for Undertaker/Kane non title match, if they want. So with a face Edge as champ, I'd say their best two bets would be either newcomer Alberto Del Rio, or former champ Jack Swagger. I think either of those would be decent bets as main events. SD wouldn't headline the show this year, but could be a great opportunity for Del Rio or Swagger.

How do you think things will plans out?

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
Swagger's not a main eventer at all, not anymore anyway with the way they've killed whatever credibility he had. He's out, Kane and Taker will probably be involved in other things so they're out, and unless they turn Rey (which would be dumb), I don't see him being in the title picture.

Edge and Del Rio are interesting since they seem to be purposely keeping them apart. I'd rather see Edge (Despite his rejuvination since his face turn) do his own thing, possibly with a lower-card belt and actually try to raise the prestige of the Tag (W/Christian which won't happen)/IC title some. Alberto should probably be doing something on his own or in MITB if it's still there.

I'd say the best bet is a current Raw mid-carder win the RR and challenge Alberto/Edge in the throwaway title match of WM this year.

Reaction score
In a perfect world Barrett wins the Rumble and goes to SD to challenge Edge. It's the best option out there for something fresh and different.

Swagger- GTFO. Never, NEVER was ready for the title reign they gave him.

Taker- They need to do it big, he will probably do the blow off to the Kane feud @ Rumble and move on to Cena since Taker's matches are cross brand affairs now. Mania, at least to me, goes beyond title matches, it's about the BIG match. Show/Mayweather, Flair/HBK, HBK/Taker and so on.

Kane- His loyalty and hard work has finally been repaid with his recent title run. Now he's fizzling, and a ANOTHER Taker match at Mania would be all too predictable.

Rey- doesn't matter what he does, as long as he's given time it will be entertaining.

Alberto Del Rio- this is the one guy who would be nice to see in there with Edge. The feud would be easy to set up as both are gifted on the mic and the match should be pretty good. Or in a really perfect world, Del Rio takes the belt at Elimination Chamber and a returning Jericho, who has won the Rumble, decides to take on Del Rio.

Either way, even the past throwaway title matches from SD! there has always been Mania caliber headliners: JBL/Cena, Orton/Angle/Rey and Edge/Jericho, despite being quick after thoughts, at least fit the bill of what a Mania title match should be. Jack Swagger just is years away from being a Mania headliner and shouldn't even be discussed.

CMS

Reaction score
I really don't know. I don't think WWE will gamble by putting Del Rio this year in the main event (unless WWE books Orton vs Miz at Mania, my prediction that this will be the WWE Title match at Mania will come true, leaving space for Cena vs Taker but that's another argument) and also having an unexperienced Mike Mizanin in there.

Edge is almost a lock in there, and I think he will be challenged by either Rey Mysterio or a Raw wildcard.

...god...

Reaction score
I think in a perfect world, CM Punk would still be on SD and we'd have Edge (c) vs. Punk at WM and Miz (c) vs. Chris Jericho (RR winner). :/

And with that, for some reason I could see Triple H vs. Del Rio.

triceki

Reaction score
Kane and Undertaker would work at WM if they brought back the old Kane with the mask ( to change things up, would be awesome)

This is also wishful thinking but, I would love to see Jericho come back as a Face and lead a couple of men ( mabye christian and someone else ) against Nexus

CM Punk vs Cena/Edge would be awesome to

noumenon

Reaction score
Are we forgetting the rumor of the WWE/WHC being unified? That could open up an entire new world of possibilities.

CMS

Reaction score
Dunno about that happening. At the very least, WWE would have teased it by now.

And if that happens, Cena vs Taker will be the match.

noumenon

Reaction score
Yup, without a doubt. Throw the two biggest names at each other. As far as them teasing it by now I don't know... we're still a fair ways away from Mania right now.

McFly...

Reaction score
They would never unify the World/WHC titles. Having seperate shows wouldn't make sense then and merchandise sales would plummet.

CMS

Reaction score
I dont think unifying the belts would affect in any form merchandise sales. It would however affect ratings even more. Some people would decide not to watch a show just because they have no championship feud going on. While Raw has the championship feud, Smackdown would have to create a hell of a feud to get people to tune in, and I question the ability of the writers not to do it, because WWE is more than able to make great feuds, but to make it every time a show is left without the championship program.

Besides, the champion would have to be a damn workhorse, because he would have to appear both on Raw and Smackdown week after week after week. They would eventually get burnt out and it would cause WWE to hot shot the title between wrestlers.

I really dont see the benefit of unifying the titles as you can notice

Airfixx

Reaction score
Jack Swagger just is years away from being a Mania headliner and shouldn't even be discussed.

Never more evident seeing as he didn't even get to qualify for KOTR over Kofi on this weeks SD.

Up, down, up, down... Damn, I wish they'd just make their damn mind up about him. At this rate, any potential credibilty will be ruined should they ever decide to eventually give him a sustained push.