SD leaves CW

• Thread starter The Rated R CMStar
  • Start date
  • Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

The Rated R CMStar

WWE has issued the following statement:

After a successful decade of "SmackDown" on both UPN and The CW, World Wrestling Entertainment and The CW have agreed to conclude our partnership. Since The CW's exclusive negotiation period ran out as of last Thursday, January 31, we have been contacted and have been in negotiations with other networks. "WWE SmackDown" will continue to air on The CW until the conclusion of the 2007-08 broadcast season. We are grateful to Les Moonves, Dawn Ostroff, and their entire organization for bringing "WWE SmackDown" to millions of viewers for so many years

Source: Gerweck.net

HHHforever

Reaction score
Hmm, interesting. I wonder where they'll go. Any chance they'd actually go live now? Probably not, but that'd be awesome. I think that is what is holding Smackdown back. I think if it were live a lot more people would watch it. I know if it was live, I probably wouldn't miss too many episodes and would treat it more like Raw.

Gards Jr.

Reaction score
I would like it to go live as well and this could also help TNA out if CW wanted more wrestling. Also I would like to see what would happen with who they sign with. Oh I just thought of something and I could use this in my BTB

TheSideEffect

Reaction score
I guess Spike TV's out of the question being that it is also the home to TNA wrestling. Perhaps G4 since it's strayed so far from actual gaming anyway, or Sci-Fi? I always thought it was strange how SMD & Raw were on different channels yet the same company, I guess ratings figures into that.

John

This doesnt affect me, i live in england so i watch it on Sky Sports. but its sad that all the work WWE did for CW has gone down the drain.

CenaMark54

It won't be one of the major networks and you can basically throw Spike out the window. The decreased ratings over the last year or two won't help them at the negotiating table either.

Here is a short list of places you will end up seeing SD.

USA
SciFi
Versus

I really don't see them going anywhere else, unless they are given a terrible time slot. One even worse than Fridays at 8:00

It could also be that the WWE has decided to go head to head with Impact and since CW wouldn't give them the Thursday night slot back, they have been negotiating with other networks.

Maybe Vince is finally going to bring the hammer down on TNA.

I would like it to go live as well and this could also help TNA out if CW wanted more wrestling. Also I would like to see what would happen with who they sign with. Oh I just thought of something and I could use this in my BTB

What do you mean by more wrestling? Do you mean another wrestling program to replace SD or a program with more wrestling matches and less of the other stuff?

If you are talking about the latter, Networks could give two shits about the amount of wrestling. All they look at is the ratings. They aren't going to go out of their way to sign a company with terrible ratings, when they can just play a rerun of some show that will score higher ratings and be cheaper.

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
I watch Smackdown on The Score so this doesn't affect me.

For some reason I can't see Vince going through all this trouble to get a thursday night time slot and compete with TNA. If that is what this is about though, he's out of luck, TNA isn't going anywhere. ;)

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I watch Smackdown on The Score so this doesn't affect me.

Same here. Its nicer having it on one channel. Now if they'd just do away with the 15 minute raw preview, I'd be happy.

For some reason I can't see Vince going through all this trouble to get a thursday night time slot and compete with TNA. If that is what this is about though, he's out of luck, TNA isn't going anywhere. ;)

I doubt it would go to Thursday nights because that's NBC's big TV night.

I would lay money down on SD going to NBC. There's a writers strike on, Vince's writers aren't going on strike ever, so that's something that NBC wouldn't have to worry about, and SD does bring in reasonable ratings for a Friday night show. I'm pretty sure this is a cse of Vince leaving them and not the other way around, and I see no reason for leaving unless he's going to a bigger network with a wider audience.

The Rated R CMStar

I see SD going to the NBC network, and probably on USA. USA likes working with the WWE and they even wanted one more hour of programming of Raw.

Vandy316

Reaction score
yeah ive been hearing NBC wants a WWE show but i cant see them giving a good time slot or ratings and i would like to see them go somewhere like TNT

edgehead09

Reaction score
this sucks because the only way that i can watch any form of wrestling is Smackdown becasue i only have basic TV(rabbit ears) so NBC would be the only good thing, but then again that never comes in clear

HHHforever

Reaction score
^Raw does fine on USA. I don't think putting it on cable would be that big of deal. They said the same thing about Monday Night Football when they put it on ESPN and it's doing as good as ever, so going to cable wouldn't be a problem. Although I would think if NBC wanted a wrestling show, I'd think they'd take Raw and put SD! on USA.