Rockstar pulled the plug on the best GTA V mod...

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score

They already stopped it in its tracks. :okay:
I would have loved to see it.

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
Hadn't heard of this mod before, but not surprising they received a cease and desist.

Rockstar are greedy assholes and they don't want anyone making a mod that uses assets they own, even though it's not for sale or anything like that, they're not making money off of it, but they still won't let it happen. And secondly, they're going to be including an online functionality for RDR2 similar to GTA Online and I'm sure it will be riddled with just as many hackers and microtransactions, so they don't want anyone playing this mod instead of buying RDR2.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
Not surprising considering RDR2 is right around the corner, they want everyone playing that instead of a free mod they can't make any money out of.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Not surprising considering RDR2 is right around the corner, they want everyone playing that instead of a free mod they can't make any money out of.

Yeah I figured it has to do with RDR2 around the corner... But mainly what Wiz said. They are greeeeeeedy. I would have liked to see it though :okay:

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
All publishers are greedy, some just hide it a little better.
200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: RedDwarfTechy

Black Wizard

サイバーパンク
Reaction score
Not all of them I don't think.

Devs like CD Projekt Red seem like people who make games solely for the enjoyment of themselves and other people, not just to be another money making corporation. I haven't played any of The Witcher games besides the first one which I didn't like the combat in so I've never touched another game in the series, but those guys are a pretty small company based in Poland that just wants to make good games. They put a lot of love and care into the games, and interacting with their community and just focusing on making a good product. And plus, they're making another game called Cyberpunk 2077, which interests me a LOT. Like, I can't even put into words how much I want that game even though there's almost no info out there about it.

But before I go off on a tangent fangirling about cyberpunk/sci-fi games, not all publishers are greedy. Rockstar is pretty greedy though, they were planning on releasing single player DLC for GTA V, the voice actor for Franklin confirmed that they were recording stuff for it and it was coming out, but any info on that has all but disappeared, they're focusing on selling their microtransaction in-game money cards while not banning hackers/modders online whatsoever, and instead opting to punish the people who received money from the hackers, willingly or not - probably because they didn't spend real money on it.

Ugh, I don't like Rockstar very much if you couldn't tell. They've made some great games in the past, but I'm not a huge fan of some of their practices. I want to be excited for RDR2, but I can't help but wonder how much they're going to focus on the online aspect, so they can make more money like they have with GTA Online, and how much the single player is going to suffer because of that.

/rant

Reactions: Solid Snake

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score

Devs like CD Projekt Red seem like people who make games solely for the enjoyment of themselves and other people, not just to be another money making corporation. I haven't played any of The Witcher games besides the first one which I didn't like the combat in so I've never touched another game in the series, but those guys are a pretty small company based in Poland that just wants to make good games. They put a lot of love and care into the games, and interacting with their community and just focusing on making a good product. And plus, they're making another game called Cyberpunk 2077, which interests me a LOT. Like, I can't even put into words how much I want that game even though there's almost no info out there about it.

But before I go off on a tangent fangirling about cyberpunk/sci-fi games, not all publishers are greedy. Rockstar is pretty greedy though, they were planning on releasing single player DLC for GTA V, the voice actor for Franklin confirmed that they were recording stuff for it and it was coming out, but any info on that has all but disappeared, they're focusing on selling their microtransaction in-game money cards while not banning hackers/modders online whatsoever, and instead opting to punish the people who received money from the hackers, willingly or not - probably because they didn't spend real money on it.

Ugh, I don't like Rockstar very much if you couldn't tell. They've made some great games in the past, but I'm not a huge fan of some of their practices. I want to be excited for RDR2, but I can't help but wonder how much they're going to focus on the online aspect, so they can make more money like they have with GTA Online, and how much the single player is going to suffer because of that.

/rant

It seems like the more mainstream/larger companies are the ones who have dollar signs in their eyes. I think somewhere a long the way they lost their original visions.
Either way... Rockstar raked in millions from GTA V and I can bet a lot of it went to their heads which is a shame. I do want to play the next RDR when it comes out but I don't care for Rockstar either.

Reactions: RedDwarfTechy

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score

/rant

I love CDR and I agree that they are different to the majority as far as greed is concerned, but they are also the same group that went [HASHTAG]#PCMASTERRACE[/HASHTAG] and looked down their noses at consoles till they wanted to make more money and did console versions for Witcher 3 and started their Free2Play game Gwent. Not saying that makes them greedy though.

Rockstar are dickheads, they always have been. They are the group that uses controversy to sell their games. In fact, when the first ever GTA was made, the PR group they were employing asked them to make it gorier, more controversial because then they could sell it more. Tbh. I've seen some really dastardly stuff done by publishing giants so I'm a tad bit more cynical when it comes to the business side of gaming.

And RDR2 is one of my most anticipated games and tbh, I share your concerns, I'd love an open world multiplayer setting, but not if it becomes a cash cow for rockstar like GTA Online has. And my gut tells me that it'll end up like GTA Online with visa and mastercard running the show.

Hybrid

The Artiste
Reaction score
Maybe they might pull a Valve and hire the modders.

Closed

The Game
Banned
Reaction score
2 full years of work just dead like that. I mean, Rockstar just killing it like that isn't nice at all, but money speaks a lot. They'll be planning their own online servers for Red Dead 2, and chances are this free mod could probably use the GTA Online tools. But dudes, would this cause any shit to happen to their sales? No chance. Rockstar is one of the most loved gaming companies in the world, and their skills of advertising their games would shoot sales through the roof. Would a free mod on GTA 5 (Old game. Old graphics) really mess with their playerbase/sales? No, it wouldn't at all. Chances are this mod would've had the map of the old game without any missions. Think of it, brand new game from a company that has a history of the greatest games ever made VS. Free mods created for a 4 year old game? Just doesn't need to be a thing for Rockstar to kill. Rockstar would still get their sales and online players for something that's going to work better. And of course modders will want to mod the shit out of this game as well (If they release on PC) Just seems really Blue. This is however something that can shoot out of control and I hope that happens. Could end up like very bad PR for Rockstar which could change their decision. Probably would be forced to compensate them in some way.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
2 full years of work just dead like that. I mean, Rockstar just killing it like that isn't nice at all, but money speaks a lot. They'll be planning their own online servers for Red Dead 2, and chances are this free mod could probably use the GTA Online tools. But dudes, would this cause any shit to happen to their sales? No chance. Rockstar is one of the most loved gaming companies in the world, and their skills of advertising their games would shoot sales through the roof. Would a free mod on GTA 5 (Old game. Old graphics) really mess with their playerbase/sales? No, it wouldn't at all. Chances are this mod would've had the map of the old game without any missions. Think of it, brand new game from a company that has a history of the greatest games ever made VS. Free mods created for a 4 year old game? Just doesn't need to be a thing for Rockstar to kill. Rockstar would still get their sales and online players for something that's going to work better. And of course modders will want to mod the shit out of this game as well (If they release on PC) Just seems really Blue. This is however something that can shoot out of control and I hope that happens. Could end up like very bad PR for Rockstar which could change their decision. Probably would be forced to compensate them in some way.
True, i think its more them flexing their muscles. Not to mention they don't like anyone getting money/fame off of their work. This is R* we're talking about.