Rising Above 2008 PPV Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

[yt]NhHnDD7DAkI&feature=channel_page[/yt]

[yt]Vc_MkUh_cZs&feature=channel_page[/yt]

ROH World Title Match
Nigel McGuinness vs. Bryan Danielson

I Quit Match
Jimmy Jacobs vs. Austin Aries

Six Man Tag Team War
Brent Albright, Roderick Strong, & Ace Steel vs. Davey Richards, Go Shiozaki, & Chris Hero

Four Corner Survival Match
Claudio Castagnoli vs. Silas Young vs. Alex Payne vs. Sami Callahan

SHIMMER Title Match
MsChif vs. Sara Del Rey

World Tag Team Title Match
Kevin Steen & El Generico vs. Jay & Mark Briscoe

Wow, just finished watching and this show featured two of the best matches ROH has put on all year. Aries/Jacobs and Nigel/Danielson are in the 4.5 -4.75 range. Def. one of the best ROH ppv's thus far. Steenerico vs Briscoes was solid for what it was. Mark is one tough bastard. The Shimmer title match went a few minutes too long. This makes me want to see Richards vs Strong on PPV in a singles match. Great show, certainly worth the 10-15$

Soda Popinski

Reaction score
I really enjoyed the PPV. The final 2 matches were great. Glad to see Nigel & Dragon got so much time.

comicgeekelly

Reaction score
Amazing show. I'd say that out of the first hour the womens match was the best. The last two matches are both MOTY contenders.

Soulpower

Finished watching the Aries-Jacobs match. Just a brutal match pretty much from start to finish. I liked seeing Jimmy trying to win the match with The Last Chancery. My only problem with the match is something I often see in "Blood feuds", and that's two guys that hate each other starting the match with a stupid lock-up. If you want to KILL the guy, you go right after him from the start, you don't go for a lock-up.

Still, that was my only complaint with the match, and it was a minor one in the long run.

I'd go with a ****1/4 rating. Great brawl, but I still prefer the Whitmer-Jacobs cage match from 07.

comicgeekelly

Reaction score
The Whitmer/Jacobs cage match was just a bit better, but this was still an amazing match.

MaZZacare

Reaction score
The Areies Jacob match was brutal affair Nigel Brian was great as all should be suspected the undercard didnt feel that gigantic which i understand its not supposed to be i enjoyed al the matches but it didnt have that everyone on the roster just kicks all types of bottom feel that i expect over all though the show was WAYYYYYY better then TNA imo

Soulpower

Believe it or not, MsChif vs Del Ray was my favorite match from the undercard. They gave the ladies some time, and they delivered a pretty damn good match.

Montana

I was the oppsite with the ladies match. Steenerico vs. Briscoes was great considering the time they gave it. Set it up nice with a promo, and put the briscoes streak on the line. They made it clear Mark Briscoe was injuried...so that worked well in my books. Oddly enough, i really liked the Claudio, Sami, Rhett, vs someone else match. That was really entertaining and good value of time. The 6 man was alright, but Strong and Richards in the ring was great.

I actually liked Aires vs. Jacobs more than Whitmer/Jacobs. I thought i would hate Jacobs saying I quit, but they made it work. That match just had all the drama you could ask for. I rank this fued amoug the all time great fueds. I'd put it right up there with Austin vs Bret Hart. I think just watching it had you on the edge of your sit. I rated that match very high. I also like that Black didnt throw in the towel. They actually did the opposite. I thought that was cool.

Soulpower

You see, I could never fully get into the Aries-Jacobs feud because for the longest time during the feud, Aries acted more like the heel than Jacobs. In the Whitmer-Jacobs feud, you never had any doubt that Jimmy was the heel, and BJ was the face.

Axis

I've seen the whole show except for the title match, so I will comment on that when I see it.

As for the rest of the show, it was solid, but nothing really stood out. The I Quit match was nice and brutal, but wasn't amazing. I hated all of the FIGHTING SPIRIT~ spots, and the lack of long-term selling. In the Whitmer/Jacobs cage match, you could tell that both men were ridiculously fatigued and beaten down into the match. Here, they both seemed fine, considering what they had been through.

Six-man tag was very boring for me, and what pulled it down even further was how evenly it was split between the good workers and the bad workers. Ace Steel and Chris Hero are gods. Brent Albright and Go Shiosaki are garbage. It was nice to see Roderick, though, as I hadn't seen him in some time.

Other one I wanted to comment on was the Four Corner match with Castagnoli. I thought it was great to see that he could actually carry (not to say he was the only good one, just that he was obviously the most over) three other guys to an entertaining match. I actually think it would have been better if one of the younger guys had won, to go along with Castagnoli's recent frustration.

I'm not looking forward to the title match, to be honest, as I despise Nigel's reign, and I already know the result going into this :(

Finished watching the Aries-Jacobs match. Just a brutal match pretty much from start to finish. I liked seeing Jimmy trying to win the match with The Last Chancery. My only problem with the match is something I often see in "Blood feuds", and that's two guys that hate each other starting the match with a stupid lock-up. If you want to KILL the guy, you go right after him from the start, you don't go for a lock-up.

Still, that was my only complaint with the match, and it was a minor one in the long run.

I'd go with a ****1/4 rating. Great brawl, but I still prefer the Whitmer-Jacobs cage match from 07.

Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I was nearly POSITIVE that they just went straight into a brawl. I actually remember liking that because of the reason you stated; blood feuds ignore that a lot. It's possible I was looking away during the lock up and only caught the opening brawl, though.

Kizza

Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I was nearly POSITIVE that they just went straight into a brawl. I actually remember liking that because of the reason you stated; blood feuds ignore that a lot. It's possible I was looking away during the lock up and only caught the opening brawl, though.

No, they locked up a few times.

Soulpower

Maybe I am remembering wrong, but I was nearly POSITIVE that they just went straight into a brawl.

To be fair, the lock-up didn't last all that long, but it happened. Still, it doesn't take away that much (If anything) from the match.

Axis

Just watched Nigel/Danielson and I actually really loved it. I don't usually do stars, but I'd probably tack it somewhere between 4 and 5. I loved Danielson's selling of his sheer fatigued; it made his fighting spirit spots seem real (unlike the Aries/Jacobs match I talked about earlier). Overall it was just a really great match, though I'm concerned about where Nigel's reign will go from here.

comicgeekelly

Reaction score
In the Whitmer/Jacobs cage match, you could tell that both men were ridiculously fatigued and beaten down into the match. Here, they both seemed fine, considering what they had been through.

That's probably because both Jacobs and Whitmer were legit hurt after the match.